The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 07:03pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Are refs and coaches too buddy-buddy? Some say yes.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...t&lid=tab5pos1

Some interesting comments from NBA officials and coaches......
Old Sat Jul 12, 2008, 11:44pm
Administrator

I don't officiate in the NBA or the WNBA (but have friends that officiate in both leagues) but as a high school and college official I do believe that the relationship between coaches and officials at the college level is different than at the high school level. At the college level officials see coaches multiple times over a season and over seasons as well and it is a relationship between professionals. And it is my opinion that the relationship between NBA/WNBA coaches and officials are of the professional type of relationship.

At the high school level it is my learned opinion that too many coaches are not capable of having a professional relationship with an official. Far too many high school coaches have no clue of the rules and mechanics and treat officials terrible. I can go on and on about high school coaches but I think most of us understand what I mean.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

It is my belief all working relationships outside of your personal home should remain professional. The concern is not the officials it's the individuals.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Perception Versus Truth

People only see what they are prepared to see. Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes

Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites. Anthony J. D'Angelo

There is no truth. There is only perception. Gustave Flaubert

Reality is what we take to be true.
What we take to be true is what we believe.
What we believe is based upon our perceptions.
What we perceive depends upon what we look for.
What we look for depends upon what we think.
What we think depends upon what we perceive.
What we perceive determines what we believe.
What we believe determines what we take to be true.
What we take to be true is our reality. Gary Zukav

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend. Henri Bergson

I don't care how careful one is to separate a personal relationship with a coach, from a professional relationship with a coach, it's all about perception, and an official can't control what other people perceive that relationship to be.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to have a personal relationship with a coach, after all, both coaches and officials have a common bond, a love of basketball. All I'm saying is, as Sgt. Esterhaus, on Hill Street Blues, used to say, "Let's be careful out there".
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 02:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

When you work games of coaches for years and sometimes come up together with those coaches, it is not usual for coaches and officials to have a relationship with each other. And we all know that coaches are often nice to use in the off-season because they think we are going to give them something when the season starts. I just came back from a camp where coaches were present from all over the country and they knew many of the clinicians because they had worked their games as players, assistants and head coaches.

This is not usual or unprofessional.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Just saw that ESPN story with Jake O'Donnell, Mike Mathis, etc.

Boy did they rip Dick Bavetta something fierce.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 04:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy
Just saw that ESPN story with Jake O'Donnell, Mike Mathis, etc.

Boy did they rip Dick Bavetta something fierce.
DETAILS!!!
Old Sun Jul 20, 2008, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Time to blow whistle on risky referee business?

It's an interesting article on a practice that I had no idea went on. I've done scrimmages at D1 schools but only got a drink and a sandwich. This takes it to another level.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...story/10901729

Time to blow whistle on risky referee business?
July 18, 2008
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

The referee hopped the plane headed for the Caribbean, swimming trunks packed with his whistle for three days of fun-in-the-sun disguised as work. His five-star hotel was gorgeous -- complete with waves crashing into the beach just outside his window.

And as he sat in the hot tub enjoying fruity drinks at the all-inclusive resort, he thought to himself he was really living nice, officiating one exhibition per day for the college team with which he made the NCAA-allowed foreign trip.

The best part?

The referee didn't pay for a thing.

The university footed the entire bill.

And isn't this an obvious conflict of interest?

"Yeah, probably," said one college coach who recently took two officials on a foreign trip but declined to speak on the record about the subject. "I could see why it might be a conflict of interest. But everybody does it and it's been going on forever."

The Tim Donaghy gambling scandal that rocked the NBA has produced many subplots, among them Donaghy's assertion in a court document that improper relationships between referees and league officials (such as players, coaches and scouts) could influence the outcomes of games. Naturally, the theory was immediately dismissed by David Stern.

But it seemed to me Donaghy was making a decent point, and it got me thinking about the college game and how unusual relationships between referees and schools could similarly influence the outcomes of games.

And by relationships, I mean actual business relationships.

College basketball programs, you see, regularly hold intrasquad scrimmages in the fall and during the season, and it's common for NCAA referees to officiate those scrimmages. In fact, I couldn't find a single coach in a random poll at the LeBron James Skills Academy earlier this month who doesn't use NCAA referees for scrimmages, and the going rate for an hour of work is somewhere between $100 and $200, most acknowledged.

Furthermore, schools also typically take referees on foreign trips, meaning referees enjoy what is basically a vacation to Mexico or Europe or Canada every year with schools paying all their expenses. So what we have are referees making thousands of extra dollars per year from schools -- and taking all-expenses-paid trips out of the country with teams -- and then calling games featuring the same schools from which they literally receive paychecks.

It's a questionable practice, particularly when you think of it in these terms: Let's pretend a referee took a summer trip with, say, John Pelphrey and Arkansas to Cancun. It's all-expenses paid, all the food and drinks he can handle in exchange for officiating three games over a five-day period. Now let's pretend that same referee, who lives in the Fayetteville area, also works 10 scrimmages for Arkansas during the preseason at $150 each. And now let's pretend it's December, and that same referee is assigned to an Arkansas-Oklahoma game, and Pelphrey is out of the coach's box, going crazy, stomping his foot, screaming and yelling about a call.

Does the referee issue a technical foul or does he swallow the whistle because he knows if he blows it he might also be blowing his opportunity to make extra cash and take another free trip? Honestly, I can't answer that question for sure (and this is, admittedly, an extreme hypothetical).

But the fact that a referee could be put in that situation suggests it's something that might need to be addressed, which is why John Adams, the NCAA's national coordinator of men's basketball officiating, said he might address it.

"I never really thought about it until you brought it up," Adams said by phone. "But it might be something as a group we can talk about at our five regional clinics in October, find out if there is a consensus."

Even then, Adams said, this is ultimately a league issue because though the NCAA can make recommendations, it has no authority over any restrictions a league may or may not place on its officials. Meantime, the coordinators of officials for the six BCS-affiliated leagues -- the ACC, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-10 and SEC -- all either declined interview requests, ignored interview requests via league representatives, failed to return phone calls or deferred to Adams when approached by CBSSports.com.

So on this subject we're left with Adams, who said he believes one remedy to the problem -- though he hesitated to label it a "problem" -- would be for leagues to make their member institutions use referees who do not normally work games in their league for any and all foreign trips.

"Maybe the game would be better served if those officials were from outside the conferences that would generally feed referees into the league the team is in," Adams said. "You could conceivably have three guys in Albany, N.Y., who are NCAA tournament-quality officials who never work Conference USA games go on a trip with a Conference USA school and avoid any perception of favoritism once the regular season and conference season gets started.

"If we are talking about 15 things that aren't rules-related at our October meetings, this could be one of the things we talk about," Adams added. "It's worth addressing. But I don't see it as a problem yet."

Perhaps not.

But it is a blurred line and slippery slope.

Which is why college basketball needs to address the issue now and set some guidelines pertaining to how referees should and should not receive benefits. The alternative is to wait for it to become a problem at the center of a controversy and then react.

That wouldn't be wise because by then the integrity of the sport and its referees would be questioned on a grand scale, and those in the NBA will tell you it's best to try to avoid that kind of scandal if you can because recovering from it is a lengthy and costly process, if not an impossible one.