The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:45pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
If you glanced at the clock and know that there is less than 5 seconds remaining, I see no need to start a count. I would explain this to anyone who questioned it postgame.

If a team scores with 7 seconds remaining in any period, do you begin a 10 second count once the ball has been inbounded?
Say the defense reaches thru the endline & dislodges the ball or fouls the thrower & the clock doesn't stop on your whistle... how would you know how much time to put back on the clock w/out a count?

7 seconds remaining, I'll make a visible 10 second count... in case of a TO & the clock keeps running then I have definite info with my count.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Say the defense reaches thru the endline & dislodges the ball or fouls the thrower & the clock doesn't stop on your whistle... how would you know how much time to put back on the clock w/out a count?

7 seconds remaining, I'll make a visible 10 second count... in case of a TO & the clock keeps running then I have definite info with my count.

I'm JUST A COACH, so by definition I dont know the rules and should just shut up and eat my dead pets, but I believe there is a provision in the rulebook about just this scenario. under 5 seconds left, made basket by team A, team A losing with no Timeouts left. Intentionally trying to cause a delay of game whistle can be ignored by the officials and if it is egregious, the officials may call a technical foul. I don't have my rulebook with me at work (I'm lying, I'm JUST A COACH and I've never actually seen a rulebook) so I can't give a reference.

The only provision is that the refs call it both ways...
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
I'm JUST A COACH
The only provision is that the refs call it both ways...
How are both teams going to be up with less than five seconds left in the game "stalling" for time to run out? I can't call it both ways

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town

The same way I do when there is no count...perhaps the throwin was made into the frontcourt...I look at the clock on the whistle.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
The same way I do when there is no count...perhaps the throwin was made into the frontcourt...I look at the clock on the whistle.
Camron

Do you have a new whistle that I dont have?.. I want one with a clock on it!
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
why start the 5 second count -- there is less than that amount of time on the clock and the clock is not stopped.
If someone fouls or requests time-out and there is a clock error, it would be helpful to have the most information possible.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've got a count here as well, mainly to show everyone I'm not sleeping and that I know what's happening. Similar to the reasoning for the signal we're allowed to give when the ball handler is no longer closely guarded.

I'm still want to call the immediate throwin violation, but I see JR's point about no advantage being gained by the stupidity.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 09:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I've got a count here as well, mainly to show everyone I'm not sleeping and that I know what's happening. Similar to the reasoning for the signal we're allowed to give when the ball handler is no longer closely guarded.

I'm still want to call the immediate throwin violation, but I see JR's point about no advantage being gained by the stupidity.
Very good point... I tell the rooks this one.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 10:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I'd start the 5-second count when B1 grabbed the ball, with the rationale that it's at his disposal at that time. Then just let the clock run out.

Team B isn't gaining any advantage through the dumb play of B1.

Jmo....
YU.P.
In all cases, I can see showing the 5 second count as soon as it leaves B1's hands to show that the official is on the play and that the game ain't over.
I'd have no violation in any of the three cases if the time ran out with no player controlling the ball.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I hate to bring up a real basketball / officiating question, so I apologize in advance for bringing an off-topic discussion to this forum:

Play: FED rules. A scores a basket with 4.8 seconds remaining. The score is now B:46, A:44. Team A is out of time-outs. Player B1 (stupidly) grabs the ball as it falls through the basket and throws the ball: (a) high in the air, (b) to the other end of the court, (c) out of bounds under A's basket and away from the court.

Ruling:??

(Is there any penalty / delay warning to B? When (if ever) does the ball become live (what if A "fouls" during this sequence)?)
I've thought about this play for a bit and come to the following conclusion. The ball becomes live when B1 grabs it and decides to delay heading directly out of bounds for the throw-in. The officials should start the five second count at that time.

As soon as B1 throws the ball somewhere the official needs to make a decision. Part (c) seems to be the easiest to handle as the ball is now in a location from where the throw-in could be legally completed. In this case, the official merely continues the count and the game clock will expire.

Parts (a) and (b) present a different problem. Namely, it is not possible to allow the game to continue if the ball comes down in bounds and is controlled by a player of Team A as the action of B1 cannot be considered a legal throw-in as he was not OOB when throwing the ball. Therefore, I believe that a throw-in violation must be called against Team B as soon as B1 throws the ball into the air anywhere over the playing court. Sound the whistle, stop the clock, and resume play with a throw-in to Team A on the endline with whatever amount of time remains. To do otherwise seems unfair to Team A imo.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 06:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Therefore, I believe that a throw-in violation must be called against Team B as soon as B1 throws the ball into the air anywhere over the playing court.
B1 tossing the ball to the regular in-thrower is unlikely to be penalized.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Camron

Do you have a new whistle that I dont have?.. I want one with a clock on it!
Here you go:

JT
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
B1 tossing the ball to the regular in-thrower is unlikely to be penalized.
That's cute, mick.
Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 07:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's My Credit Card ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftuck
I want to order two of these. That way I can keep track of fouls so that both teams have the same number of team fouls, which coaches are often requesting. If I get two more, and officiate barefooted, I can keep track of timeouts so that I don't grant an extra timeout to a team. Coaches hate it when we do that and have to give the other team some technical foul shots.

Old Wed Jun 25, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Try to stay on topic, peanutgallery boy.
It's Mister Peanut Gallery Boy, to you... !

I love it.