The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Referee Profiles

phillyref.com has NBA referee photos, biography data and sorts by birthdate, home state, birth state, high school state, seasons, games, playoffs and finals. This is a preview, so please share suggestions and problems. The first access will take longer since the photos will be downloaded to your computer. The NBA ref list is available at:

http://phillyref.com/basketball/nbarefs/nbarefs.html
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

The NBA refs used to post their profiles on their website. Not sure if they still do.

http://www.probasketballrefs.com
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 02:21pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The NBA refs used to post their profiles on their website. Not sure if they still do.

http://www.probasketballrefs.com
Yeah -- this is pretty much just stolen from the NBRA site.

Not cool dude... I'd suggest that you take it down.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

this has lawsuit written all over it....
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

I think that the NBA refs have taken their profiles down. Just guessing, but after all the crap that has been dumped on 'em lately in the media, I don't know whether it's a good idea for them to publicize where they can be found. Too many whacko fans around.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

The NBRA is listed and linked as one of 2 sources. Any request from the NBRA to remove will be honored and information gathered from other available sources. The value added is in the organization, presentation and sorting of the information.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 03:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Can we stop overreacting? I know there are copyright laws, but that does not always apply to public information. It is not like the information has not been made public. Maybe the pictures are a problem, but there are many pictures you can find that are not copyrighted.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Can we stop overreacting? I know there are copyright laws, but that does not always apply to public information. It is not like the information has not been made public. Maybe the pictures are a problem, but there are many pictures you can find that are not copyrighted.

Peace
Jeff, it's pretty clear you don't understand copyright - not a big deal actually, very few people do. What's also clear is you do not have an interest in or sell anything having to do with intellectual property. IP theft is a huge deal, just ask microsoft, the wall street journal, Sony entertainment and any fully employed actor, musician or dancer.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

The discussion on the nba referee list is helpful. To remove any question, the list has been taken down for revision. The revised list will eliminate the NBRA profiles. It will include birthdate, birthplace, home state, high school state, education institutions, nba seasons, games, playoffs and finals. All of this information is in the public domain. If appropriate photographs can be located, they will also be included.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 04:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Jeff, it's pretty clear you don't understand copyright - not a big deal actually, very few people do. What's also clear is you do not have an interest in or sell anything having to do with intellectual property. IP theft is a huge deal, just ask microsoft, the wall street journal, Sony entertainment and any fully employed actor, musician or dancer.
There is a difference between finding and posting information and selling the information. Much of this information is also public and if you do a search on some of these people you will find bios in on other websites. If that was the case there would be a lot of lawsuits. I would not compare this information to something Sony or Microsoft is going through with software and content thief.

Knowing what school someone attended and what date they were born is very different than posting a picture that you did not take. There are 3 of those officials I can find a lot of bio information without going to the NBRA website or the internet. This is not the only resource for information like this by far.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a difference between finding and posting information and selling the information. Much of this information is also public and if you do a search on some of these people you will find bios in on other websites. If that was the case there would be a lot of lawsuits. I would not compare this information to something Sony or Microsoft is going through with software and content thief.
Jeff, you're only showing what you don't know about IP. Whether or not there's a sale involved is irrelevant. Just because something is 'public' does not mean it is in the public domain. And there are - believe it or not - a lot of lawsuits and a lot of money that changes hands at the mere threat of a lawsuit. More than you can imagine.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 04:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Jeff, you're only showing what you don't know about IP. Whether or not there's a sale involved is irrelevant. Just because something is 'public' does not mean it is in the public domain. And there are - believe it or not - a lot of lawsuits and a lot of money that changes hands at the mere threat of a lawsuit. More than you can imagine.
I am not trying to get into a big debate over copyright law. You or I are not lawyers and there are always other issues to copyright lawsuits than simply posting information. Public information is listed all the time and you do not see copyright lawsuits to correct the mistake. And I have been consulted legally on copyright laws as it relates to video of games (used for officiating training purposes) and it would be very difficult for even a company to go after someone if you are not selling the information that is very public and listed in public ways. I would agree that if someone completely ripped off a link and did not change the way the information is listed that would be a problem. But to know someone attended Villanova University in 1986 and they were born on September 5, 1968 in Wichita, Kansas is not copyright material. You can find information on Dick Bevetta right now on other sites and much more than the NBRA has listed. And if copyright laws were also a problem, then every time I see an officiating video on a website, I am sure the source of that information is going after that website for clips. I am sure YouTube would not be in business if copyrighted material was a concern. I am sure most of the information posted does not come with permission from the NBA, NFL, and MLB, NCAA or any major conference along with ESPN, Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not trying to get into a big debate over copyright law. You or I are not lawyers and there are always other issues to copyright lawsuits than simply posting information.
I am not a lawyer but through my day job I do happen to know more than the average person does about IP, which includes copyright, patents, trade secrets and the enforcement/protection of these things. And I know what a huge money maker this is for the real lawyers, which is why people who are "simply posting information" should be careful, at least. I'm not saying btw that the OP was wrong to post that information. I'm just saying that from what you post here you are not really aware of the issues. No biggie.

I also happen to know a bit about US import/export regulations. If you are planning on shipping something to China or Israel let me know maybe I can give you some pointers.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 01:05am
Do not give a damn!!

The point I am trying to make is I think we are overacting that the NBRA is going to automatically sue someone for information that is somewhat public. And if they did sue, it does not mean they would have some standing or they would likely win. You cannot compare this situation to a musician that was having their music being sold for free on a website to this situation IMO. Then again just like anything we will just have to see.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is I think we are overacting that the NBRA is going to automatically sue someone for information that is somewhat public.
Yeah I agree, generally people are a bit too sensitive to the threat of getting sued. And in these cases usually the first contact is a strongly worded letter describing your infringement, what a despicably evil POS you are and a demand to stop doing whatever it is they don't like. Sometimes includes an offer to settle if you'll send a check.
Closed Thread