The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

player can run the baseline. Player runs from the OOB toward inbounds for a throwin. Goes air born from oob, i.e. last touched oob, now player is in air on the inbound side of the baseline. Before touching inbounds, releases the ball for the throwin to a teammate. Is this legal?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:16pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
player can run the baseline. Player runs from the OOB toward inbounds for a throwin. Goes air born from oob, i.e. last touched oob, now player is in air on the inbound side of the baseline. Before touching inbounds, releases the ball for the throwin to a teammate. Is this legal?
Bart,
I'm guessing player will no longer have one foot over the spot. **Tweet**.
mick
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Legal

It is for me. It is the same (IMO) as reaching the ball through the plane. The defense can then grab it, but the point is there is no penalty on the offense for reaching the ball through. We all see players step OOB without getting their body through the plane for this throw-in all the time. Same difference. (Note original post stated that the player could run the endline, so there is no "spot" involved. I don't know if being a spot throw-in would change my opinion or not. Probably would by the book, but I probably wouldn't call it.)
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 07:45pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Legal - Ya think?

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
(Note original post stated that the player could run the endline, so there is no "spot" involved.
Richard,
The throw-in spot is the endline in the case given.
mick
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking . . . no.

Let's start off with 7-6-7: The team shall take the throw-in "from any point outside the end line."
7-6-2: Thrower shall not leave the "designated throw-in spot."

While it is true that "you are where you were until you get where you are going," the thrower-in is no longer over the 'spot' required by the rules.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

The spot throwin gives very specific guildlines on what is and what is not allowed. Under the FT rules the breaking of the plane is also spelled out about breaking the plane. Now the throwin rule does allow breaking of the plane. I didn't read any of the same restrictions under throwin rules. So, if you can break the plane with one foot and you can jump to throw in the ball, then why not the whole body breaking the plane?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 09:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The spot throwin gives very specific guildlines on what is and what is not allowed. Under the FT rules the breaking of the plane is also spelled out about breaking the plane. Now the throwin rule does allow breaking of the plane. I didn't read any of the same restrictions under throwin rules. So, if you can break the plane with one foot and you can jump to throw in the ball, then why not the whole body breaking the plane?
Bart,
...Because the spot is behind the line and one foot must be over the spot.
mick
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Mick, you are saying the whole end line is the spot? I'm not convinced yet. I'm thinking the reason the spot throwin has these guildlines is because you have 3' to work with ( which really could be as much as 9') but that is another subject. If what you say is true then why is it ONLY mentioned in the spot throwin? Why wouldn't they mention it in the throwin rules?
Old Tue Apr 02, 2002, 10:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick, you are saying the whole end line is the spot? I'm not convinced yet. I'm thinking the reason the spot throwin has these guildlines is because you have 3' to work with ( which really could be as much as 9') but that is another subject. If what you say is true then why is it ONLY mentioned in the spot throwin? Why wouldn't they mention it in the throwin rules?

They do make a very strong implication, Bart.
Rules (page 72) Throw-in after a score "....This change applies when the spot for the throw-in would be at the endline."

mick
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!

Other than an endline throw-in (for which the spot is the entire endline), the spot is three feet wide (yes, I know that's geometrically impossible, well, for a point at least ) - no more, NO LESS! The width the player can run is immaterial.

Think of it this way: We call the endline the spot because a player cannot run to a point past the imaginary extension of the perpendicular boundary. Therefore, it is a "spot" throw-in, just with a wide spot. The spot can only go back to the wall, not forward to the court.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
the spot is three feet wide (yes, I know that's geometrically impossible, well, for a point at least ) - no more, NO LESS! The width the player can run is immaterial.
Mark,

I think Bart's point is not that the spot itself is 9' wide. Rather, given a 3' wide spot, a player can stretch himself 3' to the right of that spot, or can stretch himself 3' to the left of that spot, while still maintaining one foot over the designated spot. Thus, the thrower-in (what a horrible term) has the 3' spot, plus the the length of one step or so on each side of the spot. The designated spot is 3' wide, but the thrower has 9 feet "to work with", as Bart put it.

Chuck
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

What about during a 3-foot wide spot throw-in, can the player jump in the air sideways going past the 3-foot boundary but release the ball before he lands. Since he is where he's been until he lands, this wouldn't appear to be a violation. I am not convinced the act of holding onto the ball past the plane would be a violation either. It would look very weird and truthfully if I saw it live I would more than likely blow the whistle, but this is a good question.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonref
What about during a 3-foot wide spot throw-in, can the player jump in the air sideways going past the 3-foot boundary but release the ball before he lands.
The rules clearly spell out that this would be a violation. The "designated throw-in spot" The thrower must keep one foot on or over the spot until the ball is released.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Rules (page 72) Throw-in after a score "....This change applies when the spot for the throw-in would be at the endline."

mick
[/B]
Interesting, Would you make a distinction between, " spot for the throw-in" and " Designated throw-in spot"?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2002, 09:15am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
Interesting, Would you make a distinction between, " spot for the throw-in" and " Designated throw-in spot"? [/B]
Bart,
I would make such a distinction... by waving the end line, if necessary, or pointing.
mick