The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule Question

I noticed a couple of things during the games this last weekend and want to make sure my assumptions were correct.

I one of the games (can't remember which one) one of the players for the home team had to (or did) remove a t-shirt from under his jersey. He stepped over to the bench, removed his jersey, took off the t-shirt and relaced his jersey. This would be a technical foul in HS...nothing called.

Yesterday in the UNLV game there was a player wearing a very visible gray UnderArmour (read skin tight) sleeveless shirt under his read jersey. He played the entire game this way. Is the rule different for under shirts without sleeves or for this style shirt?

My assumption was that because there was no T called for removing the jersey the rule is different and that the tight sleeveless shirt was legal. I am assuming this because I doubt officials of that caliber would risk future tournament assignments by ignoring something so obvious.

Am I correct?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
I noticed a couple of things during the games this last weekend and want to make sure my assumptions were correct.

I one of the games (can't remember which one) one of the players for the home team had to (or did) remove a t-shirt from under his jersey. He stepped over to the bench, removed his jersey, took off the t-shirt and relaced his jersey. This would be a technical foul in HS...nothing called.

Yesterday in the UNLV game there was a player wearing a very visible gray UnderArmour (read skin tight) sleeveless shirt under his read jersey. He played the entire game this way. Is the rule different for under shirts without sleeves or for this style shirt?

Am I correct?
The rule regarding the color of the undershirt is the same as Fed....it must match the predominant color of the jersey. I saw it too and was surprised he was not made to remove it. I doubt something like that would cause officials not to advance, but the next crew is gonna look like the bad cop to the team when they ask him to remove it......"Well they let me wear it last time"
My assumption was that because there was no T called for removing the jersey the rule is different and that the tight sleeveless shirt was legal. I am assuming this because I doubt officials of that caliber would risk future tournament assignments by ignoring something so obvious.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

There is no NCAA rule against removing the jersey in the playing confines, such as NFHS has.

The rule on undershirts is the same as the NFHS. The officials may not have felt that it was a problem or all that visible under the jersey. I did not see that game yet. I have it on tape. I'm sure that if the opposing team had objected then it would have been removed.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2007, 05:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The rule on undershirts is the same as the NFHS. The officials may not have felt that it was a problem or all that visible under the jersey.
Almost the same. Under NFHS rules, the sleeves can be cut off as long as they aren't ragged and are the same length. Under NCAA rules, you can't cut off or alter the sleeves and neckline, and the sleeves can't extend below the elbows. I agree that an UnderArmour sleeveless shirt is probably not even viewed as a t-shirt under NCAA rules. More like an undergarment, and not a big deal.