The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Team Control signal for Men's NCAA

I know, there isn't one. So for those of you who work men's college ball, what does your assignor want you to use when you call a team control foul?

Mine has us give the P/C signal at the spot of the foul and then just the "normal" signal (push or block) at the table.

I should add that I screw it up a lot. I give the correct signal in HS games, but in my college games I give the HS signal about half the time and the P/C signal about half the time.

Last edited by zebraman; Wed Jun 11, 2008 at 09:02am.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 09:00am
Courageous When Prudent

It's only been brought up to me once and that was at a college camp 2 years ago. I was using the new (at the time) NFHS "punch" mechanic at the spot of the foul and the evaluator didn't like it at all (even though the camp was using FED rules). He preferred pointing the direction the ball would now be going and then using the block/push/etc mechanic for the table.

My JUCO supervisor (a veteran D1 official), nor any of his observers, has never brought up the subject. So I just copy what I see on TV.

I know in my HS games I never get it right. Most times I point in the new direction at the spot and then I sometimes use a 'punch' for the table and sometimes the push/block/etc mechanic.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 10:21am
Do not give a damn!!

I just point the other way. I have at times used the Team Control signal that we now use for NF games. But there was a time when there was no specific mechanic for this either way. I have never had someone say what to do one way or another. I will give the PC signal at the table though.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Since, there is not specific signal. Wouldn't be easy just to treat it like all fouls?
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I point to the opposite direction and when reporting, indicate a push, block, hold signal.

I punched a couple of times during my men JUCO game and the observer didn't mention that I used the incorrect signal. But this evaluator emphasize more on play calling than mechanics.
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Since, there is not specific signal. Wouldn't be easy just to treat it like all fouls?
No. You better let everyone know that you are not shooting FTs or you will have to come back and explain why you are not shooting IMHO.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Point the other direction as preliminary (wave off basket). Then report the foul just like any other foul (count the bucket if necessary).
Old Wed Jun 11, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
No. You better let everyone know that you are not shooting FTs or you will have to come back and explain why you are not shooting IMHO.

Peace
Rut, I understand the philosophy. I just ask and you answered my question
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
It's only been brought up to me once and that was at a college camp 2 years ago. I was using the new (at the time) NFHS "punch" mechanic at the spot of the foul and the evaluator didn't like it at all (even though the camp was using FED rules). He preferred pointing the direction the ball would now be going and then using the block/push/etc mechanic for the table.

My JUCO supervisor (a veteran D1 official), nor any of his observers, has never brought up the subject. So I just copy what I see on TV.

I know in my HS games I never get it right. Most times I point in the new direction at the spot and then I sometimes use a 'punch' for the table and sometimes the push/block/etc mechanic.
Thats because you are a big dog!!!!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 12:05am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I thought the NCAA rule book used to have NCAA-M use the PC signal for TC.

(Checks 2007-08 Book)

Nope, no signal for TC in NCAA-M.

Why NCAA-M can't use the jab like all the other rule bodies do is beyond me.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 03:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man
Why NCAA-M can't use the jab like all the other rule bodies do is beyond me.
Men's basketball does not want to be like Women's basketball. It is that simple. And "other" forms of basketball are run by Mary Struckoff (outside of the NBA of course).

Peace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Men's basketball does not want to be like Women's basketball. It is that simple. And "other" forms of basketball are run by Mary Struckoff (outside of the NBA of course).

Peace
Come on Rut, you should retract that statement.

This pass season I have seen Men's basketball have the trail official chop the clock when the ball is in the front court.

So, the statement Men's basketball does not want to be like Women's is not true.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Precisely my thoughts.

As a scorekeeper, I very much prefer being given some sort of PC/TC signal during reporting. Otherwise, there's a good chance I'm going to buzz you over to the table to double-check if we should have the 1-and-1.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Come on Rut, you should retract that statement.

This pass season I have seen Men's basketball have the trail official chop the clock when the ball is in the front court.

So, the statement Men's basketball does not want to be like Women's is not true.
Why would I retract that statement? I just came back from a D1 camp and they constantly made references to this not being Women's basketball with certain mechanics that were used. And for your information many mechanics you see have been used for years before Women's basketball decided to use them as official mechanics.

We were constantly told to use the stop clock signal. We were told not to walk and talk during foul reporting. And I could give a couple of more examples but you should get the idea. And I can tell you with the new coordinator for NCAA Men's if he has any say it will likely not change that much because I was under the impression he did not like many of the NBA/Women's Officiating mechanics.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Precisely my thoughts.

As a scorekeeper, I very much prefer being given some sort of PC/TC signal during reporting. Otherwise, there's a good chance I'm going to buzz you over to the table to double-check if we should have the 1-and-1.
I give the PC signal for TC fouls. I have never been told to stop using it, so that is what I do. I also verbalize the call so there is little confusion over what we are going to do next.

Peace