The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

First Game for Rookie

I have just attended my first clinic session this past weekend and I will be working some summer league games this week. These will be the first games I have ever worked, so anyone have any last minute advice for me? Maybe there is a mistake that all rookies make that I can try to avoid.

I have been hanging around the forum here for a few months and "listening" trying to soak up some of the knowledge around here, but haven't really posted much. But I have to say this forum has become a very valuable asset in learning how to officiate.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 09:14am
Courageous When Prudent

When you blow your whistle always do something with your hands. 99% of the time it will be either a fist or an open hand raised in the air.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Remember who the foul is on!!

Sounds petty, but I've whistled a foul, turned to the table, and had a brain fart as to who I whistled for the foul!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Go slower. Try to make your call, signals and reporting in what seems to you as slow motion. Everyone goes too fast when they are new.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:25am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Self-talk.

Example: [Pretend that you're the lead.] Say to yourself, "the ball is out top... I've got off-ball in the key."

Self-talk can do awesome things, including preventing bad habits when you're starting out, and aim to form proper habits as you develop.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Those are some really good suggestions and thank you. I think I will practice the signals and reporting and maybe have someone observe me to make sure I don't rush through it. Of course, I will have to keep that in the back of my mind while on the court too. I am going to watch a couple games tonight, so that should help me out too.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
And, if you know a senior official whose opinion you respect who can watch you and provide feedback that can be a big helper.

PS - Don't forget to have fun!
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
And, if you know a senior official whose opinion you respect who can watch you and provide feedback that can be a big helper.

PS - Don't forget to have fun!

I will be watched and get some verbal and written feedback, which I am looking forward to. I am hoping once I get out there and get calmed down a bit things will go well.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK27
These will be the first games I have ever worked, so anyone have any last minute advice for me?
I know it sounds like a cliche, but "call what you see - see what you call". The more you work, the more your calls will become "reactionary". Until you feel that comfortable, pay close attention to the mechanics of your partner(s), especially the more experienced ones. Try to emulate them and you will eventually be in your "comfort zone".

One of the subjects that seems to elicit a difference of opinion is whether or not you should "anticipate" calls. Some officials think this is good planning and adds to consistency, while others think it's bad because you sometimes "pull the trigger" when the actual violation or foul didn't happen but would usually have under the circumstances. How you feel about this will develop over time. I would just advise at first not to be too anticipatory until you have much more experience.

See - sometimes when I'm actually on my meds, I can be quite lucid. Whether or not I make sense is another matter, however.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Not sure how much playing or coaching experience you have, OP, but Mark's point about anticipation is a good one.

If you feel comfortable, after some time, you can anticipate the play, based on the offense or defense being employed. If a team is running a flex offense, you know that there are a lot of quick screens and cuts, par example.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't want to add too much, because I think it's detrimental for a new official to think too much while on the court.

That said:

Don't be afraid of a late whistle. As Mark alludes to, anticipating can lead to missed calls. If you need a second to digest what you just saw, take it; and don't be afraid to blow the whistle if you realize you had a violation.

As you officiate more, your reaction time will speed up and your whistles won't be as late.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Those are some more great responses. Thanks guys. The theme seems to be to slow things down in your mind, and focus on what you are looking at. I don't know if I worded that right, but I think I see the concept. There is no substitute for experience, so I know this will become more natural with time.

I am working with a 20 plus year veteran official, so I will be paying close attention to his actions and words.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

See - sometimes when I'm actually on my meds, I can be quite lucid. Whether or not I make sense is another matter, however.
Makes perfect sense to me, keep up the meds.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 01:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK27
Makes perfect sense to me, keep up the meds.
Thanks, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me since 1847. BTW - where in Illinois are you located? Just curious - I'm originally from there.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

See the whole play...then make your decision. Note the sig below.