The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A favorite thing for clinicians to say when they run out of things to say. Rotate when needed.
While I agree that too many clinicians talk when they run out of things to say, this is still good advice, especially for the guy who doesn't have a great deal of in-season 3 man game experience. I find out every year when working with guys at camp that aren't new, but worked 80% or more of their games in 2 man, that they don't rotate near enough. Some not at all.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
While I agree that too many clinicians talk when they run out of things to say, this is still good advice, especially for the guy who doesn't have a great deal of in-season 3 man game experience. I find out every year when working with guys at camp that aren't new, but worked 80% or more of their games in 2 man, that they don't rotate near enough. Some not at all.
Sure I agree with that. But how is "find a reason to rotate" going to get their azzes over to the other side of the court? It's not IMO

What these guys need are 2 or 3 or 4 good reasons to rotate to work into their game.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Sure I agree with that. But how is "find a reason to rotate" going to get their azzes over to the other side of the court? It's not IMO

What these guys need are 2 or 3 or 4 good reasons to rotate to work into their game.
I think what advice like this is aimed at is giving the advisee a change of mindset. We've all seen the inexperienced 3-person L perched on the precipice of close down, body leaning forward, unsure if he should really rotate. "Find a reason to rotate" changed my thinking about rotation from wanting to be 110% sure before I went, to literally looking for reasons to do it. Once the mindset was in place, it was fairly simple for clinicians to teach me 2 or 3 or 4 specific triggers I should be looking for.

I think it's the same with the 110% call after kicking one. It's attempting to give the camper something positive to focus on after kicking a call, rather than wallowing and getting skittish about not blowing any more calls. Kind of the same difference in mindset as that between "win" and "don't lose".

Just my $0.02
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I think what advice like this is aimed at is giving the advisee a change of mindset. We've all seen the inexperienced 3-person L perched on the precipice of close down, body leaning forward, unsure if he should really rotate. "Find a reason to rotate" changed my thinking about rotation from wanting to be 110% sure before I went, to literally looking for reasons to do it. Once the mindset was in place, it was fairly simple for clinicians to teach me 2 or 3 or 4 specific triggers I should be looking for.
OK, this one is like whatever. You say potato, I say mushroom soup.
Quote:

I think it's the same with the 110% call after kicking one. It's attempting to give the camper something positive to focus on after kicking a call, rather than wallowing and getting skittish about not blowing any more calls. Kind of the same difference in mindset as that between "win" and "don't lose".
Now we disagree. If you think it's tough knowing when to rotate waiting for that 110% moment just wait until you need to get to 110% before you blow the whistle.

There is no way after a call I know is not the best ever made that I will stop blowing my whistle until I am 110% sure there is a need. What if I'm just 107% sure? What if I'm 119% sure but it's sorta kinda out of my primary but is a game changer? You start over thinking this stuff and before you know it you're in the locker room at halftime getting dirty looks from your partners.

Blow a call? Move on. It happens, just don't let it happen again.