The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:12pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
20. I guess this is just philosophy. did the clinician give a reason of why he says it should be a charge?
Can't speak for the clinician, but my philosophy on this is the same for this reason: if the players know that we will send it the other way when the D is good and they go hard to the basket, they will pull up or they will sit down. The game is better,IMO, when the players are not going hell bent for leather to the basket, this philosophy helps that to not happen.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with #1 and #2 #4. Professionalism.
#3 is obvious.
Agree with #5. Dead ball officiating.
#6 Yes, you don't need to ref the wall.
#7 Pretty rare that the C would be ahead of the new L but yes, split the court in half until you get adjusted.
#8. Yes, trail means trail despite the NCAA guys you sometimes see on TV who want to get ahead of the play and look back at it.
#9 Not sure what the observer means by that one.
#10 Yeah, no blarges. And yield to L if it's a double-whistle involving the secondary defender who came from the lead's area.
#11 You mean we don't call all over the floor and justify it with the "get it right" philosophy?
#12 Two refs close in and one stays back to watch everything else.
#13 Know the rules on T's and everything else. Study.
#14 Sometimes no huddle is required. On borderline plays, it is nice to have a partner that comes in and gives a quick opinion.
#15 A reasonable response deserves a reasonable answer but don't initiate conversations and don't respond to comments that aren't questions.
#16 OK
#17 Sounds like observer B.S. If you miss a call, leave it behind and ref the next play. What are 110% calls anyway? You can't be more than 100% right.
#18 What does that mean?
#19 Huddle when something needs to be talked about by the officials (a specific call or getting everyone on the same page).
#20 I have always believed that if it's a "flip a coin" play, a charge is better. Otherwise you are telling the offense to blast away and you'll reward them by calling a block on the defense.
#21 Huh? I disagree. Don't get too close to the table. If you need to wait for a player to clear out, no big deal.
#22 OK
#23 Yep, always be busy. There is always something to do.

1. No Hands on Hips EVER inside the lines
2. Don't dribble the ball on the court during a dead ball. You are not a player
3. When reporting fouls - use the correct signal. If he pushed, its a push. If we held, its a hold. etc.
4. Don't Chew Gum
5. When a time out is called, your feet do not move to go to your designated spot until both teams are in their respective huddle. Watch the teams
6. Trail to Lead - look back, don't just run down to trail with your back to the players.
7. If T is beat, C pick up and ref to baseline until Trail can get there.
8. T stay behind the ball in the back court
9. Lead referees 99% of the post on strong side
10. Block / Charge in the post - Fist only, yield to primary (pregame this play)
11. Call in your primary
12. Loose ball on the floor turns into scrum - TWO noses 5" from the ball
13. Technical Fouls - KNOW THE RULES
14. Intentional / Hard Fouls do not need a huddle. It is or its not immediately.
15. Talk to Coaches - he who handles coaches moves career forward.
16. No Bad Tosses - U1 blow it back.
17. When you kick a call, and we all do, your next two whistles should be 110% calls. This will get you back in the groove
18. Don't have to get the game back under control.
19. Huddles - at 1st Media and then end of game.
20. A block is a block. A charge is a charge an if there is ANY question what it is, its a CHARGE
21. When reporting fouls, do so from a spot on the floor where no player can pass between you and the table
22. On Subs, do not put ball in play until the old player is in the coaches box.
23. Be on floor at 30. Check out the court. Find things that will get you in trouble later so you are not surprised. IOW, dont just stand there.

Some other items I picked up

If you want to be one of the 96 - you better be in the correct free throw position on first of 2.

Camp: Issues present themselves - those who handle them, distinguish themselves.

Camp: Be Ready. There are no warm up games in camp when you are there trying to get hired. If you take the first game to "warm up" you will fall behind.

Camp: Looking for leaders. Not U2s

Camp: Deal with Coaches - control your game.

Camp: Get better game to game. It will be noticed.

Other tidbits I wrote down:

Look for opportunities to rotate.
Use your voice / Have a strong Voice
No out of primary calls unless they are must gets.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Was this a HS camp?
D1 camp--- lower mid-major.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I guess I'm going to slightly disagree on this. I don't mind getting some information from my partner, especially if the contact is from behind. If the play is coming at me and the contact is from behind, I can see that there's contact, but I might not see everything. I don't want a 3-minute huddle, but a quick "Hey Scrapper, he took a full wind-up" might be appreciated.
Hey Scrapper...if I have an intentional from behind I'm coming in with crossed arms and I'm taking the call. And we aint gonna huddle. And I'm going to deal with the coach. And the phone calls after the game.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
...if I have an intentional from behind I'm coming in with crossed arms and I'm taking the call. And we aint gonna huddle. And I'm going to deal with the coach. And the phone calls after the game.
I agree...WITH DAN!!! What the heck? I must be ill.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
And I disagree with a good amount of the tidbits listed.
Please list which ones and why. It would make for decent discussion.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I agree...WITH DAN!!! What the heck? I must be ill.
Good. Send me your number, I'll have my calls forwarded to you.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 09:58pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Hey Scrapper...if I have an intentional from behind I'm coming in with crossed arms and I'm taking the call. And we aint gonna huddle. And I'm going to deal with the coach. And the phone calls after the game.
That's fine, too. But we both know that there are officials who will defer this call because it's coming right at the Lead or it's out of their of their primary or whatever. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but if that's my partner and they want to share info with me, I don't think that's so horrible.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 11:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is camp. Not everything that is said at camp is law or should be used. There are many things I agree with and other things I do not agree with. And a lot of what you hear at camp is subject to the level or supervisor that is running the camp. When you are at camp you should decide what works and use it, and figure out what does not work and throw it away.

Peace
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Stuff from camp this weekend....

5. When a time out is called, your feet do not move to go to your designated spot until both teams are in their respective huddle. Watch the teams

So we don't move to report until both teams are in their respective huddles? Or we report, but don't leave the reporting area until both teams are in their respective huddles?
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207
So we don't move to report until both teams are in their respective huddles? Or we report, but don't leave the reporting area until both teams are in their respective huddles?
I believe (the intent) the two non-reporting officials should go into dead ball officiating when this happens.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 05:15am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman

#18 What does that mean?
18. Don't have to get the game back under control.
I read this a couple of times too. My take was - Don't let the game get out of control, then, you "don't have to to get the game back under control....."
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 06:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
That's fine, too. But we both know that there are officials who will defer this call because it's coming right at the Lead or it's out of their of their primary or whatever. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but if that's my partner and they want to share info with me, I don't think that's so horrible.
Yup, and those officials are the guys with a U2 mentality. That clinician(who was also the D1 league assignor iirc) imo is kinda telling you in #14 that he can find U2's anywhere, but if you want to get hired, you should have the mentality of an R. You're willing to take care of bidness and make the tough call without having to hold a vote on it first.

Imo, just make the damn call. If one of your partners wants to share something with you, he can still come to you.....after.

I think that clinician wants officials who officiate with confidence and believe in their own ability. Fwiw I agree with him.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I read this a couple of times too. My take was - Don't let the game get out of control, then, you "don't have to to get the game back under control....."
That was my take too. It's hard to get a game that's been out of control back under. It can take a pretty drastic change to the way you're calling the game (admitedly it's probably a change nearer to how the game should have been being called). It's a lot easier to start out tight and loosen up as the players adjust and settle in than to be too loose to start and have to tighten up or reign it in. At least that's my experience.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
Stuff from camp this weekend....

4. Don't Chew Gum
The list is a good one, but I'll still have my cool apple gum in my mouth next season. I get dry mouth and the gum works for me.