The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 07:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Think I missed a call

Well, probably MORE than one, but this is the one I think I got wrong because I did NOT call BI. A1 shoots. A2, while the ball is in the netting but has not passed through the netting, jumps and grabs the netting while the ball is lodged there. The ring did not collapse. After A2 let go of the netting the ball passed through. I know it was AAU, but I want to know if I got this wrong so if I see it again, I will get it right. Thanks.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 08:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Well, probably MORE than one, but this is the one I think I got wrong because I did NOT call BI. A1 shoots. A2, while the ball is in the netting but has not passed through the netting, jumps and grabs the netting while the ball is lodged there. The ring did not collapse. After A2 let go of the netting the ball passed through. I know it was AAU, but I want to know if I got this wrong so if I see it again, I will get it right. Thanks.

26 Year:

I thought I made a mistake then I realized I was mistaken about making a mistake.

Or as they say in The Sopranos: "Fa getta bout it."

We all mistakes from time to time. The important this is that we learn from our mistakes.

A couple of years ago "The Preacher" and I were officiating a girls' regional AAU tournament. It was early in the first half of our sixth and thankfully our last game of the day, when, on an sideline throw-in (and I was the administering official), A1 inbounded the ball to A2. A2 caught the ball with both feet touching the playing court. A2 then proceeded to hold the ball under her left arm while she lifted her left foot and rubbed it off with her right hand, she then returned her left foot to the floor, shifted the ball to her right hand, and lifted her right foot and wiped the bottom of her right foot with her left hand and then returned her right foot to the floor. Yes, it was traveling but I had a brain fart and did nothing. Team B's assistant coach looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and made a very small traveling signal. I shook my head no. About minute later it dawned on me that A2 had indeed traveled. At half time B-AC, Daryl, and I had a good laugh about. We all agreed that it had been a long day and that Daryl and I would not ever miss that call again.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun May 25, 2008 at 08:48pm.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 08:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

So did I make a mistake?
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 08:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Probably ???

Quote:
So did I make a mistake?
Was the ball lodged in a hung up net?
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 09:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

No. It was passing through the net, but had not exited.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. It was passing through the net, but had not exited.
Yes, you missed offensive BI. The players are not allowed to touch either the ball or the basket while the ball is ON or WITHIN the basket.

However, I do see this violation passed on with great frequency.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 10:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yes, you missed offensive BI. The players are not allowed to touch either the ball or the basket while the ball is ON or WITHIN the basket.

However, I do see this violation passed on with great frequency.
Yup, and I am one who will pass on it depending where the hand and the ball happen to be.
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 10:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
26 Year:

I thought I made a mistake then I realized I was mistaken about making a mistake.

Or as they say in The Sopranos: "Fa getta bout it."

We all mistakes from time to time. The important this is that we learn from our mistakes.

A couple of years ago "The Preacher" and I were officiating a girls' regional AAU tournament. It was early in the first half of our sixth and thankfully our last game of the day, when, on an sideline throw-in (and I was the administering official), A1 inbounded the ball to A2. A2 caught the ball with both feet touching the playing court. A2 then proceeded to hold the ball under her left arm while she lifted her left foot and rubbed it off with her right hand, she then returned her left foot to the floor, shifted the ball to her right hand, and lifted her right foot and wiped the bottom of her right foot with her left hand and then returned her right foot to the floor. Yes, it was traveling but I had a brain fart and did nothing. Team B's assistant coach looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and made a very small traveling signal. I shook my head no. About minute later it dawned on me that A2 had indeed traveled. At half time B-AC, Daryl, and I had a good laugh about. We all agreed that it had been a long day and that Daryl and I would not ever miss that call again.

MTD, Sr.
Emily? Emily Litella, is that you?
Old Sun May 25, 2008, 10:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Never mind

Old Sun May 25, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

From your description of the player "grabbing the netting" you may have also had a technical foul in addition to the BI.