The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Ref chokes coach

Don't know if this has already been posted or not -- and I'm way to lazy to look. But. . .

http://www.withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=5829

05.20.2008 IS REF GONNA HAVE TO CHOKE A COACH?We'd like to thank newly-anointed WL reader DoctorOctagon for this tip on some black-on-white crime that took place in his backyard. Well, it was in a gym. "Backyard" was a figure of speech. Anyway:

Mickey Shaffer of Poyen said he was coaching the Lady Wings from Central Arkansas as they competed in the seventh- and eighth-grade girls' division of the Challenge of Champions tournament in Little Rock when he questioned a referee's call, and the referee, whose name Shaffer did not know, called a technical foul on him. Shaffer said he sat down but continued objecting to the call, and the referee called a second technical foul on him and ejected him from the game. Shaffer said he was "getting my two cents in" on his way out when the referee grabbed him by the throat and choked him for a few seconds.
Shaffer said that the photo of the choke makes it look worse than it actually was. Like that's gonna keep anyone from getting pissed. Did we mention this happened in Arkansas?

The referee who choked Shaffer was removed from the game he had been officiating and swapped with a referee from a different game on another court, according to witnesses. "He way overreacted, and he did a malicious thing in front of a lot of kids," said [a] parent, who asked that her name not be used. "When you're in that kind of position, you're supposed to be about sportsmanship and all this, and if you don't have any more self-control than that, you just don't need to be in that position."
The coach, by the way, is not pressing charges. Could it be that the coach doesn't want to admit to what he might have said to the ref? Do they mic up coaches at the 7th-grade level?

[Arkansas News]
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Eh, I'd say he probably deserved, it's for all the coaches who should have been choked and weren't. I'd buy the ref a beer!!!!

Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:08am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Is that anything like "choking the chicken"?
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Im not sure I like this post being hre. I mean, looking at hte blog, I dont tknw if we should even credit wat's said. but even so, i don't think its funny to joke about choking a coach, even if he "deservs" it. Also, I don't see what race has to do with it.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not trying to be funny, but you cannot say anything and everything to people. I do not advocate what the official did, but we also do not know what the coach said. And considering the acceptability of coaches being abusive to officials, he crossed the wrong person. After all this is a 7th Grade game that has likely an inexperienced or not a very good official.

Peace
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:31pm
Esteemed Participant

To me, it doesn't matter one little bit what the coach said to the official. That official was way, way, way out of line to touch the coach in anger, let alone choke the guy. No excuse - I don't care what was said...by the same token, I don't care how bad the official is, the coach doesn't get to choke the official either...if it's true, the official needs to be charged with assault just like a coach would be.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikBoom
Im not sure I like this post being hre. I mean, looking at hte blog, I dont tknw if we should even credit wat's said.
Why, are there a bunch of typos or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikBoom
but even so, i don't think its funny to joke about choking a coach, even if he "deservs" it. Also, I don't see what race has to do with it.
My guess is race had everything to do with it. People don't just up and choke someone for no reason. My guess is the coach said something extraordinarily provocative. But it's only a guess.

I'll add that I think the ref should have composed himself instead of losing control; even though I can't say there wouldn't be a circumstance under which I might lose my composure.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:39pm
In Memoriam

There isn't enough posted in that article to really allow anyone to form a definitive opinion imo. You don't know the exact circumstances leading up to that pic, and you also don't know the context of the pic.

Personally, I try to not form an opinion until I hear both sides. And until I hear what the official in the pic has to say, I sureashell ain't gonna dump on him. That's just not right to do so imo.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 12:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Why, are there a bunch of typos or something? My guess is race had everything to do with it. People don't just up and choke someone for no reason. My guess is the coach said something extraordinarily provocative. But it's only a guess.
Race has something to do with just about everything. Just because someone did not use a specific word or come out and say certain things does not dismiss the fact that it plays a big role. Just look at the Presidential Race and how race has been a factor, but people try to act like it has not by stating the obvious. People think because we celebrate a holiday or certain laws have been changed the backdrop of this issue has gone away. It has not.

Peace
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
To me, it doesn't matter one little bit what the coach said to the official. That official was way, way, way out of line to touch the coach in anger, let alone choke the guy. No excuse - I don't care what was said...by the same token, I don't care how bad the official is, the coach doesn't get to choke the official either...if it's true, the official needs to be charged with assault just like a coach would be.
I agree.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 02:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Race has something to do with just about everything. Just because someone did not use a specific word or come out and say certain things does not dismiss the fact that it plays a big role. Just look at the Presidential Race and how race has been a factor, but people try to act like it has not by stating the obvious. People think because we celebrate a holiday or certain laws have been changed the backdrop of this issue has gone away. It has not.

Peace
Not sure whatinthehell this has to do with the original post...but I will say it again - I don't care what was said, it does not justify grabbing someone by the neck (aka choking someone)...and to try to say "It's OK that he choked that guy if the guy said something racist" is just plain stupid.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Not sure whatinthehell this has to do with the original post...but I will say it again - I don't care what was said, it does not justify grabbing someone by the neck (aka choking someone)...and to try to say "It's OK that he choked that guy if the guy said something racist" is just plain stupid.
You obviously did not read the article. And you obviously did not read a couple responses after the OP.

Once again, no one said it was OK. After all we are human beings and when you say certain things to human beings or behave in a manner, they may act in a way that is outside of the game. That goes for an official, coach, player or fan. Often conflicts in games go outside that arena. And if someone does not adhere to "your standard" of professionalism, then it really does not matter in the long run if they decide to assault you or harm you more than choking you.

I have seen it enough times where a game conflict becomes bigger than what happens between the lines.

Peace
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Oh good.

Anther sociology 101 thread.

Haven't had one of those in a while.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 05:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Without commenting specifically on this instance, since none of us know the context, let me say that there are some things that, if said to me by another person in a certain context, will result in me imparting physical harm upon that person. The number of topics and the context is quite limited, but there are some. Fortunately, the number of instances that this has happened in my life is extremely low, but it has happened and I make no apologies for it.

BTW - I'm being uncharacteristically serious here.
Old Wed May 21, 2008, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Without commenting specifically on this instance, since none of us know the context, let me say that there are some things that, if said to me by another person in a certain context, will result in me imparting physical harm upon that person. The number of topics and the context is quite limited, but there are some. Fortunately, the number of instances that this has happened in my life is extremely low, but it has happened and I make no apologies for it.

BTW - I'm being uncharacteristically serious here.
Mark, we would appreciate it if you started your own psychology 101 thread.

This is the sociology 101 thread.

TIA.