The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

That was a first

AAU varsity boys game last night. I call a foul on a kid for setting a screen with his feet about 32 feet apart and tripping the kid he was screening. Coach and fans don't like it. Obviously that's not the first; I'm getting to that part.

During half time we notice the coach reading something. Just before the second half, he brings over a rule book to discuss what I told him about the foul. I had erroneously told him that the screener's feet couldn't be wider than his hips (a complete brain fart, I don't know where that came from; i guess i AM a dimwit!). He just wanted to let me know he'd looked it up and it is shoulder's width. Didn't have any more of those screens the rest of the game.

Did I miss a memo? When did they teach coaches to read?
Old Thu May 15, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
AAU varsity boys game last night. I call a foul on a kid for setting a screen with his feet about 32 feet apart and tripping the kid he was screening. Coach and fans don't like it. Obviously that's not the first; I'm getting to that part.

During half time we notice the coach reading something. Just before the second half, he brings over a rule book to discuss what I told him about the foul. I had erroneously told him that the screener's feet couldn't be wider than his hips (a complete brain fart, I don't know where that came from; i guess i AM a dimwit!). He just wanted to let me know he'd looked it up and it is shoulder's width. Didn't have any more of those screens the rest of the game.

Billy Packer Academy!
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AAU varsity boys game last night. I call a foul on a kid for setting a screen with his feet about 32 feet apart and tripping the kid he was screening. Coach and fans don't like it. Obviously that's not the first; I'm getting to that part..........

32 feet...that kid must have some long legs.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

The ironic thing was that it was one of the shorter kids on the team. So to have his legs as wide as he did (maybe only 29 feet?), he was really working at it. His stance looked very exagerated, almost comical.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The ironic thing was that it was one of the shorter kids on the team. So to have his legs as wide as he did (maybe only 29 feet?), he was really working at it. His stance looked very exagerated, almost comical.
Like it had to have been taught?
His coach thought it was legal? Unreal.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

OK... He had a WIDE stance. Were his feet tapping?
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

screw that guy! he's trying to show you up! calmly stick him! I would tell him that he is completely right (which he is) and stick him for disrespecting the official. I would make sure to tell him to not bring that rule book on the floor again! if we can't have them then they can't have them, on the sideline that is!
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
screw that guy! he's trying to show you up! calmly stick him! I would tell him that he is completely right (which he is) and stick him for disrespecting the official. I would make sure to tell him to not bring that rule book on the floor again! if we can't have them then they can't have them, on the sideline that is!
I disagree. The coach has every right to find out the proper rule interpretation. If the official on the court can't provide it for him, then why shouldn't he look it up in the book? Afterall, the summer is the time for learning and that applies to coaches too.

BITS misspoke and knows it. All that an official in his situation has to do is say, "Yep, coach that right. It is shoulders. I mistakenly said hips, but what he did was still illegal." Then move on with the game. Turning this into a technical foul situation is clearly making a bigger deal out of it than warranted.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I disagree. The coach has every right to find out the proper rule interpretation. If the official on the court can't provide it for him, then why shouldn't he look it up in the book? Afterall, the summer is the time for learning and that applies to coaches too.

BITS misspoke and knows it. All that an official in his situation has to do is say, "Yep, coach that right. It is shoulders. I mistakenly said hips, but what he did was still illegal." Then move on with the game. Turning this into a technical foul situation is clearly making a bigger deal out of it than warranted.
At the risk of you taking this personally I'll respond. Hopefully you'll decide not to slit your wrist.

I disagree, sort of.

The baseball umpires have a great tradition of dumping any coach who even looks at a rule book during a game.

The best we can do is ignore him, which is what BITS should have done.

"Hey ref, it sez in this here rule book..."

"Sorry coach, I don't debate the rules."
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
At the risk of you taking this personally I'll respond. Hopefully you'll decide not to slit your wrist.

I disagree, sort of.

The baseball umpires have a great tradition of dumping any coach who even looks at a rule book during a game.

The best we can do is ignore him, which is what BITS should have done.

"Hey ref, it sez in this here rule book..."

"Sorry coach, I don't debate the rules."
Well, Dan, it seems that some officials feel threatened by coaches consulting a rules book. Obviously, I'm not one of them.

I don't have a problem with your advice to ignore it, but I also don't have a problem with an official simply admitting that he was mistaken.
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This was the approach I took. I figure it's a positive thing for the coach to have considered my explantion, and have taken the initiative to educate himself. At the end of the day the call was right, the coach learned something new, I now own another rule (the hard way), and he got to get the last word. Everybody wins
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 07:01am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
On a side note, that kid must be great at posting up with either a 29 or 32 ft spread. One pivot and he's by everybody.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Well, Dan, it seems that some officials feel threatened by coaches consulting a rules book. Obviously, I'm not one of them.
It's not about being threatened. Some of us actually make decisions based on something other than fear. Maybe you're not one of them either.
Old Sat May 17, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
It's not about being threatened. Some of us actually make decisions based on something other than fear. Maybe you're not one of them either.
That's just an ignorant comment.
Old Sun May 18, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Dan: give it up. Nevada's a 100% right.

For one thing, this isn't baseball. We don't stop the game to even discuss plays with coaches. They have to call time out. In baseball, they come out and often aren't sent back immediately as they probably should be. Different sports.