View Single Post
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I disagree. The coach has every right to find out the proper rule interpretation. If the official on the court can't provide it for him, then why shouldn't he look it up in the book? Afterall, the summer is the time for learning and that applies to coaches too.

BITS misspoke and knows it. All that an official in his situation has to do is say, "Yep, coach that right. It is shoulders. I mistakenly said hips, but what he did was still illegal." Then move on with the game. Turning this into a technical foul situation is clearly making a bigger deal out of it than warranted.
This was the approach I took. I figure it's a positive thing for the coach to have considered my explantion, and have taken the initiative to educate himself. At the end of the day the call was right, the coach learned something new, I now own another rule (the hard way), and he got to get the last word. Everybody wins