Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Fines for coaches in Ohio

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/pl...200.xml&coll=2
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

"What if you get a weak official who happens to have it out for a coach? How fair is that?"

Wow just wow....
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 11:41am
In Memoriam

Just a wild guess.... .......but I'd say that the coaches who complain the most about the edict are the ones most likely to be affected by it.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 06:22pm
Administrator

To quote the Green H.S. girls' basketball coach Tony Whitmer: "They are finding more ways to chase good people out of coaching and increase the turnover in coaching," he said. "What's next, fines for officials? Fans? Players? I'll bet there are no fines for the officials."

Here is my response to Mr. Whitmer:

The OhioHSAA membership is made up of both public and private schools. I cannot speak for the private schools, but I do not know of a single public school in Ohio where assistant coaches are not paid; assistant coaches are employees of the school district for which they coach. And yes, officials can and are fined by the OhioHSAA for certain infractions, which can range from double booking, failure to fulfill a contract, failure to file an player and/or coach ejection report, or wearing an improper uniform. Regarding the last two general examples the I gave I can give specific examples. An entire football crew was fined and denied post-season tournament assignments for one year because the crew failed to file an ejection report. Two soccer officials were fined $100 each five years ago for wearing yellow soccer officiating shirts when the the only approved shirts were the black with white collar and cuffs. The best part of the soccer officials infractions was the fact that the officials were from Columbus (OhioHSAA headquarters are located in Columbus), the game was in Columbus on the same side of town that the OhioHSAA offices are located, and OhioHSAA VIP from the state headquarters was in attendance at the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 08:03am
Courageous When Prudent

In Virginia, the school gets fined $500 when a coach gets ejected. And based on conversations I've heard I think some schools recoup those $$$ from the coach.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.]To quote the Green H.S. girls' basketball coach Tony Whitmer: "They are finding more ways to chase good people out of coaching and increase the turnover in coaching," he said. "What's next, fines for officials? Fans? Players? I'll bet there are no fines for the officials."

"More and more coaches are finding ways to chase good officials out of the profession. More importantly coaches are keeping great people of the professipon.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

It's $50 bucks and 1 game suspension, first offense, $100 bucks and 2 game suspension, second offense, $250 and done for the year 3rd offense, here in Kentucky, but it hasn't kept Coaches from saying what they want to, they just pay it and go on!
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting... I wonder how this will influence the decisions coaches make during games next year. I like the program BadNews mentioned about the state of Virginia.