The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Ejection fines?

Here in the Dirty Souf, there is a new $300.00 fine being levied on coaches, assistants, players, et al if they are tossed from a game (first offense, it gets worse from there). There has been a good deal of speculation on whether this will have any sort of 'chilling effect' on coaches to provoke/prolong confrontations this season.

Do your states/athletic assocs/etc have monetary fines in place for ejections? Does it have an effect, or is it business-as-usual? I was wondering how other areas approach this.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Here in the Dirty Souf, there is a new $300.00 fine being levied on coaches, assistants, players, et al if they are tossed from a game (first offense, it gets worse from there). There has been a good deal of speculation on whether this will have any sort of 'chilling effect' on coaches to provoke/prolong confrontations this season.

Do your states/athletic assocs/etc have monetary fines in place for ejections? Does it have an effect, or is it business-as-usual? I was wondering how other areas approach this.
SC: $100 fine. Does, IMO, have a chilling effect.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
SC: $100 fine. Does, IMO, have a chilling effect.
Either that or the coach is "Going to get his money's worth!" A coach told me that once, so I asked him to speak slowly so I could jot it ALL down for the report. $$$ Cha-ching, cha-ching!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

No such law in PA that i know of... ejections carry a 1 game suspension
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Here (IIRC) its $300 first offense, $750+month off for the second, and something-north-of-750 + season suspension for the third.

That would shorely discourage me!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Gee, here in the Nutmeg State, all they get is a one game suspension. Fine a coach in this state? Riiiiiiiiight!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tee, what's going on in Oregon? Tennis player gets ejected??? Shhheezzee.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Gee, here in the Nutmeg State, all they get is a one game suspension. Fine a coach in this state? Riiiiiiiiight!

Do they have the "run up the score" penalty in baseball too?
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Is knowing anything about the ejection policies anything like knowing scoring rules? Why are we supposed to know?

I am not aware of fines, but I KNOW there are penalties. For most stuff in the book (like arguing balls and strikes) a coach or player is "restricted to the dugout". For the six sins they are ejected; 1) fighting, 2) biting, 3)taunting, baiting or spitting toward an opponent, 4) profanity directed toward an opponent or official, 5) obscene gestures and 6) disrespectfully addressing an umpire (including a possible ineligibility forever for physically contacting).

In addition to game suspensions, players receiving two ejections as described above are out for the season. Players receiving three, in any sport are out for 365 days. So if you get one in football, and another in basketball, you are on thin ice for baseball season.

A team that collects 6 ejections, or more than 3 for fighting is ineligible for playoffs so if you have a brawl with 4 ejections the team is out of playoffs.

We don't write up reports for "restrictions to the dugout" but we do for ejections and we have 24 (or is it 48) hours to send in the ejection report or WE are fined.

In HS baseball here restrictions to the dugout are like 99 to 1 to ejections.

Last edited by DG; Mon Feb 19, 2007 at 09:30pm.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 09:45pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Here in Oregon the fines are "in total" for the school.

It is an increasing scale that goes from $100 (first offense) to $250 (second offense) to $500 for (third) and then gets REAL SPENDY after that.

What is cool is that the total runs for the YEAR in ALL sports.

Football coach gets ejected in the Fall $100 . . . then a JV basketball coach gets ejected in the Winter $250, then a tennis player gets ejected in the Spring it is $500.

So by the time baseball comes around in spring if a school has had an ejection, or any kind previously, we find things to be VERY quiet.
You forgot to add that this is on top of the minimum 1 game suspension too!
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Interesting. Here (IIRC) its $300 first offense, $750+month off for the second, and something-north-of-750 + season suspension for the third.

That would shorely discourage me!
Have ya'll been encouraged to use the "time out" restriction more because of the fine scale ? Because here in the 'Ham, we have. Not that I think it will make any difference.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2007, 11:15pm
rei

I kind of think of my formal warning to them as the restriction. If they keep mouthing off after that, it seems that they want to be ejected.

I save the restriction for that rare jerk who never says anything that you can really eject them for, but they are getting on your nerves. I have only used it twice. I suppose it served it's purpose!
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Do they have the "run up the score" penalty in baseball too?
Yeah, they have some stupid "feels good" rule about running up the score here in CT. I am not sure how it works because I couldn't care less about it.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Have ya'll been encouraged to use the "time out" restriction more because of the fine scale ? Because here in the 'Ham, we have. Not that I think it will make any difference.

Yes, we have been 'advised' to restrict lots, eject less, because of the new fine structure. Its my feeling that, unless its one of the mortal sins (fighting, physical contact, etc), that we will be hung at the yardarm if we eject without restricting first.
Old Tue Feb 20, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I can't imagine anything good coming from restricting a coach to the bench. If he is sufficiently obnoxious to get himself that far, he has probably earned a visit to the parking lot. Leaving him in the dugout to simmer isn't going to be to anyone's advantage. Maybe a stiff fine or two will help him turn over a new, more respectful leaf. In our area, fines are often paid by booster clubs anyway, so the punitive effect is minimal.