The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Actually, it doesn't matter where the ball went. What is important is if the official judges that the player was indeed making a throw-in pass. If that was the case, then a violation occurred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
You wanna cite the rule and explain this a little further, please?
Sure. The provisions that govern the throw-in which are listed in 9-2 place that restriction upon the THROW-IN PASS, not on any other action of the thrower such as bouncing the ball OOB at his side or making a pass to another OOB teammate. It would be incorrect to apply the rules governing the THROW-IN PASS to action which does not constitute such.
For example, we know that a player may throw a bounce pass to another OOB teammate following a made goal. That pass is not subject to the same restrictions as the THROW-IN PASS, which cannot bounce OOB before going to the teammate.

Therefore, it is imperative that the official first make a determination as to whether or not a player is attempting to make a throw-in pass or is just doing something else with the ball while OOB before he makes a decision upon the legality of the action.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 06:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Post.

Quote:
Sure. The provisions that govern the throw-in which are listed in 9-2 place that restriction upon the THROW-IN PASS, not on any other action of the thrower such as bouncing the ball OOB at his side or making a pass to another OOB teammate. It would be incorrect to apply the rules governing the THROW-IN PASS to action which does not constitute such. For example, we know that a player may throw a bounce pass to another OOB teammate following a made goal. That pass is not subject to the same restrictions as the THROW-IN PASS, which cannot bounce OOB before going to the teammate.Therefore, it is imperative that the official first make a determination as to whether or not a player is attempting to make a throw-in pass or is just doing something else with the ball while OOB before he makes a decision upon the legality of the action.
Good post. Thanks for the reminder. Rookie officials. Take note.
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 09:54am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Therefore, it is imperative that the official first make a determination as to whether or not a player is attempting to make a throw-in pass or is just doing something else with the ball while OOB before he makes a decision upon the legality of the action.
But the question is what makes a pass a pass. Picture this: Official hands A1 the ball from his left and, for whatever reason, hesitates before getting out of the way sufficiently. A1 looks right and snaps a quick no-look pass to his left. The ball strikes the hand of the official, who is clearly out of bounds, and bounces back to land in the hands of A1 again. There is no doubt that A1 intended for this to be a pass, but........ I think that it is ultimately the responsibility of the player to avoid the official, no matter how much he may be out of position. BUT, in an extreme example of "Oops, my bad! Why was I in the way?" I can see going with a redo.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 07:56am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
But the question is what makes a pass a pass. Picture this: Official hands A1 the ball from his left and, for whatever reason, hesitates before getting out of the way sufficiently. A1 looks right and snaps a quick no-look pass to his left. The ball strikes the hand of the official, who is clearly out of bounds, and bounces back to land in the hands of A1 again...
Why would this be a violation? If the official is OOB then this would be the equivalent of A1 bouncing the ball OOB and retrieving it.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:11am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Why would this be a violation? If the official is OOB then this would be the equivalent of A1 bouncing the ball OOB and retrieving it.

That was my point. I posted that situation based on what Nevada had stated:

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't matter where the ball went. What is important is if the official judges that the player was indeed making a throw-in pass. If that was the case, then a violation occurred.

............... it is imperative that the official first make a determination as to whether or not a player is attempting to make a throw-in pass or is just doing something else with the ball while OOB before he makes a decision upon the legality of the action.

I don't see that judgment of what the player is attempting to do is part of the equation here. If the ball hits the official and bounces back to the thrower, and touches nothing inbounds, I don't see the violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 11:08am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
If the ball hits the official and bounces back to the thrower, and touches nothing inbounds, I don't see the violation.
I agree. If the ball never touches inbounds, then the inbounder is just dribbling.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe, but it still seems like a good time for an inadvertent whistle.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Or even an advertent one.