The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Stupid Things Stupid Fans Say

I've seen these come up from time to time in other threads, and if this is a repeat I apologize, but it's too good of a topic to not take advantage of.

We've all heard the infamous "three seconds!" from the stands while both teams are battling for a rebound in the key. But let's go beyond the obvious dunderheadedness...

What are some of the stupidest things you've heard fans say during a game?
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Most fans simply don't know the over & back rule. Always unnecessarily screaming for it when it's not even close......
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite thing that a fan has ever said was " She would NEVER say a cuss word"

Parent said that right after I "T"ed up her daughter for saying " That's Bull$hi!"
and right before my partner "T"ed her up and ejected her for the same thing as I was walking to the table to report it.

You got to love basketball. Oh, the Parent, I saw her at the market a week later and said "Hi" and came back with a big old "F' You", I wonder where the kid gets it???
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
I've seen these come up from time to time in other threads, and if this is a repeat I apologize, but it's too good of a topic to not take advantage of.

We've all heard the infamous "three seconds!" from the stands while both teams are battling for a rebound in the key. But let's go beyond the obvious dunderheadedness...

Frosh game. Maybe 5 parents there due to a real early start. Big ole good ole boy in first row calling for 3 seconds whenever the other team had the ball.

We have an OOB throw-in. Kid sets up in the key. Billy-Bob just goes off as my partner is visibly counting. Partner gets to four. Bob goes nuts. "You all are even counting this time." Everybody justs cracks up.

Partner has a 5 second call. Bob still yelling. HC sends AC over to Bob they talk. No more screaming about 3 seconds.

Bob moved on to "that's a moving screen" sigh
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have 2 examples. Here is #1:

Grade school tournament, girl’s game, running clock until final 2 minutes. Small gym, overzealous parents right on top of us. Team A leading Team B by about 6 points with 8-min to go. A1 fouled on shot, goes to line for 2FTs. Scorekeeper mistakenly stops the clock for FTs but it's not noticed until play resumes and clock is not running. I go over to clear it up, explain to the kid to let it run until 2-min, resume play. With 6-min to go B1 is fouled and goes to the line with her team still down by 6 pts. I am trail. Team B father in stands right behind me complains that the clock is still running during FTs. I tell him it's a running clock until 2-min left. FT is missed, ball goes OB right next to this guy. I'm standing there to IB the ball and he says, "that's not fair, it was stopped for the other team's free throws! Why do they get an advantage?" I respond, "your team is behind, right? Whose advantage is it when the clock stops?" All the fans around him got it (and started snickering). I don't think he did.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My example #2:

I had heard that a parent for an Eaton Rapids MS girls team was very vocal and had already been asked to leave 3 games this year. So I’m pleased to report that this imbecile didn’t let me down in an ER game I worked vs JCMS. There were only 40 people in the stands, so each time a call went against ER we could easily hear his loud complaints and comments about how bad we were and how we were “homers.” But how could we toss this guy, he was such an idiot all he was doing was making a fool of himself and we were laughing through the entire game....

Anyway, this was his classic comment. For 3 quarters he complained every time we called a foul on his team. Early in the 4th, ER team was down by 20+ and one their guards clearly traveled. I thought my partner was going to call it, he thought I was going to call it. Neither of us did, so it didn’t get called. In the act of traveling the ER guard turned it over and JCMS picked it up and went down the court for a layup. On the way back up the court as I’m going by him, the guy loudly says, “why would he call a travel on us when he knows JCMS has a chance to get a layup?” I almost spit my whistle out. Not only am I a horrible ref, I’m clairvoyant!!
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Fans really don't know the rules.

The things I hear the most screaming about:

1) Over and back non-calls
2) 3 seconds (often on rebounds or throw ins)
3) The infamous "Call it both ways"
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had one last night in a varsity girls game. After a "scrum" for a loose ball in the lane and the player that gained control of the ball called time out a fan in the stands yells out..."she traveled, her feet were on the floor".
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
I had one last night in a varsity girls game. After a "scrum" for a loose ball in the lane and the player that gained control of the ball called time out a fan in the stands yells out..."she traveled, her feet were on the floor".
Was at a boys varsity the other night and the testosterone Dad is all amped up yelling "how can that be a charge? he didn't have the ball". This, to a illegal screen call with the 'punch'
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just last night...

4Q... Home team is down big, I heard "There's 2 teams out there" after I'd called a foul on a home team player. After reporting the foul, I look at the clock, foul count is 3 - 3. *sigh*
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

How about this one . . .

In more than 20 years of reffing, I'd never heard this one after calling a foul . . . until this year . . .

"You don't have to hate 'em, just ref 'em."
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Few years ago. 6th grade boys.

"You do realize that you're taking away my son's college scholarship!!"
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Few years ago. 6th grade boys.

"You do realize that you're taking away my son's college scholarship!!"
Comments from Padgett don't count.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

1) During a TO, fairly empty gym, fan stands up behind me and yells "why don't you go watch a referee tape?!?!

2) First time I did an AAU game. After the game, I come back from getting a drink and mom in the stands says to me and my partner, "you're a piece of sh*t and you're a piece of sh*t!!!"

3) It's a boys game! Not a girls game!

4) AAU 9 and under. Fans are right on top of us on the sidelines, I made an OB call and mom in the stands is in my ear and says "you're sorry! s-o-r-r-y." No idea why she felt the need to spell it for me.

5) Earlier this year had to warn mom and dad at half court in a MS game (about 40 people in a tiny tiny gym) that they needed to back off me and my partner. I tell dad to button it up (i was actually very calm and nice) and mom says "if he's not allowed to talk, then I will, you're terrible!!"

6) Freshman game earlier this year, same dad always in the front row of this small gym telling me and my partner that every call we make is wrong. Other team makes second of two FT's so his kid's team will have it OB and they call a TO. My back is to him and he says "hey ref, can they run the endline after a made FT? Can they run the endline? Hey, i'm talking to you. Are they allowed to run the endline? I'm asking you a question!!" I didn't flinch once to indicate I was listening to his BS.
Old Wed Feb 06, 2008, 10:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
1) During a TO, fairly empty gym, fan stands up behind me and yells "why don't you go watch a referee tape?!?!

2) First time I did an AAU game. After the game, I come back from getting a drink and mom in the stands says to me and my partner, "you're a piece of sh*t and you're a piece of sh*t!!!"

3) It's a boys game! Not a girls game!

4) AAU 9 and under. Fans are right on top of us on the sidelines, I made an OB call and mom in the stands is in my ear and says "you're sorry! s-o-r-r-y." No idea why she felt the need to spell it for me.

5) Earlier this year had to warn mom and dad at half court in a MS game (about 40 people in a tiny tiny gym) that they needed to back off me and my partner. I tell dad to button it up (i was actually very calm and nice) and mom says "if he's not allowed to talk, then I will, you're terrible!!"

6) Freshman game earlier this year, same dad always in the front row of this small gym telling me and my partner that every call we make is wrong. Other team makes second of two FT's so his kid's team will have it OB and they call a TO. My back is to him and he says "hey ref, can they run the endline after a made FT? Can they run the endline? Hey, i'm talking to you. Are they allowed to run the endline? I'm asking you a question!!" I didn't flinch once to indicate I was listening to his BS.
2 and 5 should be removed from the gym by game management. #6 should be addressed if it's a distraction to you. Address it through game management, though, not directly with the Dad. If it's not a distraction, let him make a fool of himself.