The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Would "he lifted his pivot foot" qualify?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
Just last night...

4Q... Home team is down big, I heard "There's 2 teams out there" after I'd called a foul on a home team player. After reporting the foul, I look at the clock, foul count is 3 - 3. *sigh*
LOL, I had a similar one this year.

Frist quarter of a girls freshman game, girl goes up the right sideline (don't they always?) against a press and a defender comes over to trap her. Ball gets knocked OB. I call it and signal home team ball. A woman yells out, "call it both ways!" The foul count was 0-0.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Crazy and Creative

I always appreciate creativity in fans and get a good laugh when they come up with something original. I heard a fan say in a recent game after there was no call on what the fan thought should have been a walk, "The last time I saw someone travel that far, they had a passport!" ...not bad!

For the first time ever, a fan recently called me a "baboon"! I am not sure why but it sounded funny...it was during a timeout so I turned and looked up at him and said, "Hey, unless you get some bananas down here real fast, you're outta here!" The rest of the fans thought it was funny but I don't think he really did.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblehman
A woman yells out, "call it both ways!" .
"I can't ma'am. We're only allowed to call it the right way."
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3) The infamous "Call it both ways"
Couple of years ago, I had a fan yell that when I called a violation on the jump ball!!!! I responded, "Only if we go into OT." Everyone but him laughed.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

I came in yesterday to work the late AAU games. In our changing room a good buddy/mentor of mine says a fan came up to him after his last game and said "You and you partner set refereeing back to the Negro Leagues".

Not 2 minutes later another veteran official walks in the room and says a fan followed he and his partner off the floor yelling "you guys set officiating back 30 years!!!"
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Few years ago. 6th grade boys.

"You do realize that you're taking away my son's college scholarship!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Comments from Padgett don't count.
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Have to clean the screen now.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

MS girls summer game.
Player is trapped in the bc by tight defense and requests a time-out. A father in the stands yells out, "Smart play. Way to avoid the 8-second violation."
I told him that this wasn't the NBA. Some people laughed, but I seriously doubt that most got the point.

Yes, I was fully prepared for someone to holler for a bc count violation only a few seconds after play resumed.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

This wasn't a parent but a coach...14U league.

2 PC calls on same player and another PC on another player in the first half. He asked me if that was my favorite call...I said, "Not really, I have another one that I like!' He later got Td up for yelling "You are killing us out there today".

Game goes to OT, I go to the huddles to let them know they will get 1 TO for the OT period. Coach asks me if I am going to call any more PCs....I tell him "Well coach, if it's a PC, I'll call PC....if it's a block, I'll call block and if I don't blow my whistle, we got incidental contact...that work for you?" He cracked up laughing and said it sounded fair to him....
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Check It Out, Is This Educational ???

I just came across this yesterday on the Topeka Officials Association website. I haven't had time to "digest it" yet, so I don't know how educational, or helpful, it is, but I thought it fit this thread

General Techniques:
• Don’t walk directly to a coach. The coach will get your attention if they have a question.
• Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
• Let the coach speak/ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
• Most coaches will have questions/comments when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
• Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
• Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.
• Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
• Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
• If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.
• Don’t bluff your way through a call.
• Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples: Behavior/Question/Comment from Coach Official’s Response

Coach sees the play very differently than the official.
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play, I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw [short explanation].”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team.
“Ok coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call.
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, they were right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my teammate.”
“Coach, they had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask them, they’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing.
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question.
“Coach, I can hear you/I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor.
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments.
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go.
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Here's a real time saver for all of these -

"YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!"

Of course, "Coach has a good point and might be right" never happens so don't worry about it.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
I just came across this yesterday on the Topeka Officials Association website. I haven't had time to "digest it" yet, so I don't know how educational, or helpful, it is, but I thought it fit this thread

General Techniques:
• Don’t walk directly to a coach. The coach will get your attention if they have a question.
• Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
• Let the coach speak/ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
• Most coaches will have questions/comments when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
• Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
• Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.
• Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
• Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
• If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.
• Don’t bluff your way through a call.
• Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples: Behavior/Question/Comment from Coach Official’s Response

“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play, I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw [short explanation].”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

“Ok coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, they were right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my teammate.”
“Coach, they had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask them, they’ll be over here in just a minute.”

“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

“Coach, I can hear you/I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”
Billy,
For the most part this is very good. The only thing of which I'm not in favor is all the references to "both ends." That is just going to open the door for the "call it both ways" comment. I would try to avoid that kind of terminology when interacting with a coach.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see one on there that applies to a situation I had. What do you say to the coach who says "You don't like me do you? That's ok, I have big shoulders. I'm the man of steel, baby. I can take it."
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 08:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

On The Atchison, Topeka And The Santa Fe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
For the most part this is very good.
Credit goes to the Topeka Officials Association. I haven't had time to really read it yet.

Do yuh hear that whistle down the line?
I figure that it's engine number forty nine,
She's the only one that'll sound that way.
On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
I don't see one on there that applies to a situation I had. What do you say to the coach who says "You don't like me do you? That's ok, I have big shoulders. I'm the man of steel, baby. I can take it."
A. Laugh at him.
B. Tell him to take his big shoulders to the parking lot.
C. Tell him to put on his walking shoes and take a hike.
D. Tell him that he's right. You don't like him and are going to take it out on his team.