The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Has anyone ever done something really stupid on the floor and you just wanna crawl in a whole for the rest of the game!? I did something today that was just like AGH! DUMBO! when I did it. Whats a good way of handling this situation when trying to not let it get to you soo much. Needless to say my butt got ROASTED by my supervisor which afterwords he gave me 10 minutes of praise for a call I made in the next game but still. Its still eating at me and it shouldn't be.

Needless to say I've learned how to handle this situation in the future... Just learned the hard-way.

If I could only tackle handling coaches better...

OH YEAH ... Inadvertant whistles are jump-balls right? (totally different situation)

[Edited by ace on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 11:17 PM]
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ace

OH YEAH ... Inadvertant whistles are jump-balls right? (totally different situation)

Whoa, you need to learn this one, Ace, or you're gonna have your supervisor screaming at ya again. .

See casebook play- 7.5.4. If the inadvertant whistle went when a team had player or team control, then that team would get the ball OOB for a throw-in. If neither team has player or team control when the inadvertant whistle happens(like during a shot,rebound,etc), you would go with the arrow. If the whistle went after A's shot had gone through, then B would get the ball along the end line for a throw-in, same as after any made basket.

There's a related thread down below somewhere with a good point in it. In the 3rd case above- where the whistle went during the shot attempt- if the ball went in, it probably should be an end line throw-in for the team that was scored on- not an AP.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

JR - Drop me one off the board please
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Has anyone ever done something really stupid on the floor and you just wanna crawl in a whole for the rest of the game!? I did something today that was just like AGH! DUMBO! when I did it. Whats a good way of handling this situation when trying to not let it get to you soo much. Needless to say my butt got ROASTED by my supervisor which afterwords he gave me 10 minutes of praise for a call I made in the next game but still. Its still eating at me and it shouldn't be.

Needless to say I've learned how to handle this situation in the future... Just learned the hard-way.

If I could only tackle handling coaches better...

Ace -- we've all done these, some of us (notice this includes me!) more than some of you others. You are a hard-working, passionate-about-reffing guy who is trying to get better. That puts you head and shoulders above the rest, no matter how many awful mistakes you make. You want to do well, and you will.

What worked for me was to:

a) get back on the bicycle as soon as possible, figuratively speaking, of course. Don't take a break.

b) figure out why it happened. Rummage back through the thought process that led up to the error, and find that nasty little stinker that messed up the whole thing. A distraction? A mis-remembered rule? An emotional reaction to something that happened earlier in the game or earlier in the day?

c) Learn to fake it, till you make it. Find someone who handles this kind of situation (I mean the lead up, not the error!) very well, and copy them. At first, it won't come naturally -- mistakes are what come naturally. But if you get through the process in a fake -- but healthy -- way a few times, doing it right will start to feel natural, and then be natural.

For instance, in an emotional game, who in your association is very, very cool, and projects that onto the players and coaches? Go watch quite a few of those games. Talk to that person, and find out what they are thinking. When you're not working, practice in your head -- how do I maintain self-control? how do I talk to the coach? how do I move? How does my face look? etc. Do it correctly over and over both in and out of a game.

d) Don't shrug it off, exactly, but also, don't take it too much to heart. Remember, you're not as good as your best game, but you're also not as bad as your worst game. The big picture on reffing is that even if you blow the call on the winning shot of the NBA championship game, and ruin your career -- your reffing career is all you've blown. There are no human lives at stake. And in spite of what the coach says, one bad call won't ruin anyone else's career besides your own. If you start to get obsessive about one bad call, you need to do some positive thinking exercises, and learn some forgiveness.

The most important thing to remember is that, if the rainmaker can get past these kinds of situations, anyone can!!

Good luck!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
I did something today that was just like AGH! DUMBO! when I did it.
Are you gonna make us guess?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

When I screw up, I keep telling myself that my "perfect" game is just around the corner.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Bad Screw up solution -

Get the ball back into play. Amazing how a player dribbling through a full court press changes the coach, players and crowds recollection of the "kicked' call you just laid on the floor.

Make a bad call - look hard for a better one!
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't so bad that I want to quit or take a break (what a crappy time too right before the holidays when NOBODY is playing) but it was just one of those things. I'd tell ya but like I said I've been roasted once enough on it. And as soon as it happened I was like o crap. Incidently enough the inadvertant whistle happend in the 3rd. This incident was right before half time. I've never been in that situation... and now I am glad I was becasue I'll know how to handle it next time or atleast look like I do.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

ace, I think I did one better. And yes I still feel bad. My first HS game last Friday. I called an unsproting T on a player with 50sec. left in the game. Team A up by 1 point ( I think Team A was the better Team), I called a foul on A1, A1 turns to me, waves his hands in the air, as if to say "i didn't touch him". Yak-T. Note; I remember about 3 or 4 years ago, on the Women's side, they want a T for this action. Well, Team B was in the double bounus. They made 2 of the 4 shots and then scored on their possession, so now Team A is down by 3 and they lost the game. Lesson learned. Whats strange is this is out of character for me.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Ace, part of the purpose and usefulness of this board is to learn from our own and other's mistakes. If you don't want to share that is fine. Keep in mind that you were glad you were in the situation, so that you now would know how to handle it. Your sharing the situation may keep someone else from getting stuck in the same situation. So please reconsider your original roasting, and bruising of your ego, and maybe help some of your fellow officials stay out of trouble... just my 2 cents worth
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the club, Ace

You know, I almost posted this a few days ago when it happened, and didn't. But I'll throw it out now.

Freshman girls. Six seconds left in the game, visitors up by two. I'm watching off ball. My partner calls the visitor's guard for a push. Crowd, coaches, and players go ballistic! Amidst the howling, we march determinedly to the other end and shoot two free throws. Home team ties the game and wins in overtime.

It isn't until I'm in the shower that I start to get that sinking little feeling. I call my partner, ask him specifically if the foul was on the ball handler. Yes. The girl who actually had the ball, she was dribbling the ball when she fouled, correct? Yep. AGH! He was not aware that we don't shoot free-throws on PC fouls.

Emailed the assigner that night and fessed up. Talked to him on Saturday and his response was classic: "That's one mistake you'll never make again." He's right.

Set it aside and move on.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Welcome to the club, Ace

You know, I almost posted this a few days ago when it happened, and didn't. But I'll throw it out now.

Freshman girls. Six seconds left in the game, visitors up by two. I'm watching off ball. My partner calls the visitor's guard for a push. Crowd, coaches, and players go ballistic! Amidst the howling, we march determinedly to the other end and shoot two free throws. Home team ties the game and wins in overtime.

It isn't until I'm in the shower that I start to get that sinking little feeling. I call my partner, ask him specifically if the foul was on the ball handler. Yes. The girl who actually had the ball, she was dribbling the ball when she fouled, correct? Yep. AGH! He was not aware that we don't shoot free-throws on PC fouls.

Emailed the assigner that night and fessed up. Talked to him on Saturday and his response was classic: "That's one mistake you'll never make again." He's right.

Set it aside and move on.
Kinda cute that coach B couldn't muster a simple "hey ref, why we shooting on a PC foul?".

Oh well...
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 05:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

9th boys. H down by 1, racing down the court for a last shot. I'm lead, got the whole play in my sights. A1 takes a running J from about 13 feet on a 45 degree approach, on my side. Shot goes up, misses, B1 gets rebound.
Tweet!
"Huh?" I wonder as I look at partner.
"Timeout H!" he says.
V coach offers a little resistance, but immediately returns to drawing up a defense for a last second shot attempt; again.
A1 misses the second last second shot, V wins, and all is okay. Partner realizes he should have held the whistle.

Evaluator says the same thing.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 05:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
9th boys. H down by 1, racing down the court for a last shot. I'm lead, got the whole play in my sights. A1 takes a running J from about 13 feet on a 45 degree approach, on my side. Shot goes up, misses, B1 gets rebound.
Tweet!
"Timeout H!" he says.
V coach offers a little resistance, but immediately returns to drawing up a defense for a last second shot attempt; again.
A1 misses the second last second shot, V wins, and all is okay. Partner realizes he should have held the whistle.

B1 had the rebound, then you gave team A a TO, and after the TO you give team A the ball instead of team B?

And the B coach just offered a "little resistance"? I'm very surprised that he didn't go completely nuts.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Tweet!
"Timeout H!" he says.

I agree with JR. This sounds like you compounded one error by making yet another. If the reason that the TO should not have been granted was that B had ball and A requested TO, you have to grant the TO once you blow the whistle. But you DO NOT give the ball to A - that never should have occurred. You fess up to the error in granting the TO request, apologize to the B coach, and let everybody know that it's B's ball coming back in.