The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
It's not a matter of how they think, it's a matter of the example they set for the kids. I am a firm believer in the value of youth sports so that's why I devote so much time and effort to this organization. The kids are more important than the parents so the point is to make sure the parents don't negatively impact the kids.
I agree that it is about setting an example. But the fact that you have to make a proclamation to me is why there is a problem.

Quote:
Yes - it's hard to get experienced officials to work these games, but we do get a few. That's one reason we train about 5 or 6 new HS kids each season to officiate. I make it a point to make sure the officials take as little crap as possible. We pay pretty decent for a kids rec league ($22-$25 for experienced officials and they usually work 3 games each Sat. - the games are short) and we have a big pizza party at the end of the season.
Younger officials do not know any better. They work because that is what we veterans tell them to. Then when they get tired of getting yelled at or being called names and being mistreated, many of them stop working it or move on to other things. I agree that it is with good intentions, but when and if they ever decide to move to the real world, those type of actions are not likely to be apart of their officiating experience. I think that is the point ultimately Dan was trying to make.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not a matter of how they think, it's a matter of the example they set for the kids. I am a firm believer in the value of youth sports so that's why I devote so much time and effort to this organization. The kids are more important than the parents so the point is to make sure the parents don't negatively impact the kids.

Yes - it's hard to get experienced officials to work these games, but we do get a few. That's one reason we train about 5 or 6 new HS kids each season to officiate. I make it a point to make sure the officials take as little crap as possible. We pay pretty decent for a kids rec league ($22-$25 for experienced officials and they usually work 3 games each Sat. - the games are short) and we have a big pizza party at the end of the season.
What I like about your approach, Mark, is not what it does or doesn't do for the officials (I'm sure your training program already addresses that they shouldn't care what parent thing), but rather what it hopefully does for some of those parents.

My experience with lower-level games is that "yelling parents" come in two types. One is the ex-athlete dad who thinks 11 year old Kathy should be on her way to a college scholarship. There's not much to be done about this guy other than ignore him or have game management deal with him if necessary.

The other type is the one I hope you have some impact on - it's the mother or father who never played him/herself, but starts on the "yelling and screaming" train early because they see the other type of parent when they come to the games. Hopefully you're process helps some of these types realize that it's not the best way to enjoy the game and they'll carry that attitude on as Jimmy or Suzie grows into Jr. High and High School ball.

Whether it works or not, I have no idea, but as a fan of good sportsmanship, I appreciate your efforts.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I agree that it is with good intentions, but when and if they ever decide to move to the real world, those type of actions are not likely to be apart of their officiating experience. I think that is the point ultimately Dan was trying to make.

Peace
Yeah that's about it. They can be Skippy Weaselpants enjoying how clever they are with the volunteer coaches and the parents of the 8 year old players.

Or they can take control, be a genuinely mature authority figure and prime themselves for something else.

Not that there's anything wrong with being Skippy Weaselpants. But really, how much fun can it be after the first few dozen times.