The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You got to know the rules... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/43364-you-got-know-rules.html)

eyezen Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:19pm

You got to know the rules...

...and according to the rules you have to pick up a rolling inbounded ball before 5 seconds to avoid a violation.

Just sayin'

lpbreeze Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:39pm

wtf has he talking about there. I'm semi-glad they didn't call that carrying either on the last reg play

BillyMac Tue Apr 08, 2008 06:15am

Good Old Days ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen
...and according to the rules you have to pick up a rolling inbounded ball before 5 seconds to avoid a violation.

Yes. Twenty-years ago.

http://www.antiquemystique.com/images/7733_jpg.jpg

biz Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze
wtf has he talking about there. I'm semi-glad they didn't call that carrying either on the last reg play

I almost completely flipped out when Packer said that about the 5 sec. count...what really got me mad though was Nance agreed with him.

Why are you "semi-glad?" I thought that was a pretty blatent carry and it definitely created an advantage...I think this might go into the category of "we haven't called any border-line carries the whole game so we're certainly not calling one under 10 seconds in the National Championship game."

JHamp Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:09am

What happened to letting the players determine the outcome of the game? They let the carry go, big deal. They also let CDR slam the ball to the floor and allowed it to go 15 feet in the air with Hightower staring straight at him. Any other circumstance besides the NC game that's an automatic T. I have no problems with the officiating in the game.

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 08, 2008 07:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz
I almost completely flipped out when Packer said that about the 5 sec. count...what really got me mad though was <strike>Nance</strike> Nantz agreed with him.

Yeah - there's a new development. :rolleyes:

Coltdoggs Tue Apr 08, 2008 08:53am

The best comment was regarding going to OT...something like:

"This Kansas team knows about OT games...It was the 1957 NCAA Championship that they played an OT Game"

SAY WHAT????

I'm not even sure these kids' DADS knew about that game!

Dude is a tool....

Adam Tue Apr 08, 2008 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHamp
What happened to letting the players determine the outcome of the game?

Good grief. I'm not saying whether they should have called the carry or the T, as I didn't see the game. However, from the descriptions of the bounce, I don't understand a T call. It has nothing to do with this coach/fan-speak, "let the players decide the game." What happened to it is it's a stupid concept that high level officials laugh at.

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 08, 2008 09:14am

Quote:

What happened to letting the players determine the outcome of the game?

The players do determine the outcome of a game. They commit the violations and fouls. The officials just call those violations and fouls. If they don't call 'em, then they <b>aren't</b> violations or fouls.

"Let the players decide the outcome of the game" is a phrase used by coaches and fanboys. Translated, it means "don't call anything on my team, just my opponents".

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by biz
I almost completely flipped out when Packer said that about the 5 sec. count...

Did you guys see that Dickie Vitalis is being inducted into the basketball Hall Of Fame? I can't wait for Billy Pickle-packer to be inducted into the basketball Hall Of Not Knowing The Rules. He would be a founding member.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:46am

Quote:

They also let CDR slam the ball to the floor and allowed it to go 15 feet in the air with Hightower staring straight at him. Any other circumstance besides the NC game that's an automatic T.

And why should that be a T? There is no rule in the be about slamming the ball down. However, there is a rule about disrespecting an official or disagreeing with a call. THAT is what slamming the ball down is about, 99.9% of the time. In this specific case, I think KU was called for a foul and Memphis was pumped up and he reacted as such...or it was some other situation...not a disagreement with a call. Could it have been called? It could have....and wouldn't have been "wrong". But, would it have been the right call...probably not what the rules were intended to address. When's the last time you've seen a T called at the end of the game when a player heaves the ball into the air as time is about to expire....not really much different.

fullor30 Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Good grief. I'm not saying whether they should have called the carry or the T, as I didn't see the game. However, from the descriptions of the bounce, I don't understand a T call. It has nothing to do with this coach/fan-speak, "let the players decide the game." What happened to it is it's a stupid concept that high level officials laugh at.

Wow........how could you miss the game? Work, family stuff?

Adam Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Wow........how could you miss the game? Work, family stuff?

Don't rub it in. :)
I commute about 2 1/2 hours a day, so try to spend time with the kids when I'm home. It's a sacrifice I don't intend to have to make next year. :)

Nevadaref Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Don't rub it in. :)
I commute about 2 1/2 hours a day, so try to spend time with the kids when I'm home. It's a sacrifice I don't intend to have to make next year. :)

You can watch the game on your computer at ncaasports.com as it will be archived for about the next twenty days.

lpbreeze Tue Apr 08, 2008 02:24pm

I'm glad they cut down on the ads even though there were still too many. I hope CBS got ripped for their earlier games because the amounts of breaks was absurd.