The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:06pm
Huck Finn

UNC/Kansas

Sorry to the UNC fans (Tony), but I loved this game! Hansborough just showed what he will do when he gets to the pros - he will probably be measured at 6'7" or something and will get his head handed to him on a regular basis. I didn't realize how bad his defense is for a big man.

On another note, Wayne Ellington has got to be the best shooter with his feet out of whack that I've ever seen. How is feet are set just don't matter to him.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Sorry to the UNC fans (Tony), but I loved this game! Hansborough just showed what he will do when he gets to the pros - he will probably be measured at 6'7" or something and will get his head handed to him on a regular basis. I didn't realize how bad his defense is for a big man.
Chant with me....

Over-rated
(clap...clap...clap-clap-clap)

Over-rated
(clap...clap...clap-clap-clap)

(sorry, Tony!)
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:18pm
Official & Member

Quote:
... will get his head handed to him on a regular basis. I didn't realize how bad his defense is for a big man.
Think Joakim Noah without the bad hair.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well,I'm sureashell not a TarHeel fan, but I disagree completely with you about Hansborough. He reminds me one heckuva lot of Dave Cowens. They said exactly the same thing about Cowens when he came out of Florida State.....too small to play the post, gonna get his head handed to him, etc. Cowens ended up making all of those so-called experts eat crow, big time.

Hansborough has got a big dose of the "wants", unlike about 80% of the pretty boys in the NBE who can't do a damn thing other than dunk the ball. You know, the ones that worry more about styling than playing.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hansborough has got a big dose of the "wants", unlike about 80% of the pretty boys in the NBE who can't do a damn thing other than dunk the ball. You know, the ones that worry more about styling than playing.
Want is not going to get you on the floor. You need production. If you cannot produce on one or both ends of the court, you will be expendable. I think he will be a pro, but whether he is a productive pro is another story.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Think Joakim Noah without the bad hair.

Ha!!! I was thinking the same thing. And I being in Chicago, I see it night after night.
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 11:48pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

On another note, Wayne Ellington has got to be the best shooter with his feet out of whack that I've ever seen. How is feet are set just don't matter to him.
Hmmm...must have been watching a different game than I was. What I saw was that NC was successful when the ball went through Hansbrough's hands...it was UNC's guards that got their butts handed to them.

The big man who got completely outplayed today was Love from UCLA...Dorsey manhandled him. And that dunk that Douglas-Roberts put down in Love's face was spectacular!
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

I think Hansborough will have a very mediocre career in the NBA. He won't be an inside presence at all against the big, strong pros and he is very weak from the outside.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

I'd compare Hansbourgh to Dennis Rodman. They both have the work ethic and the motor, plus Hansbourgh has more offensive skills.

He'll be a fine pro forward.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

17 points, 9 boards, 2 assists and 3 to's. I think there are several NBA squads that would take that. Like someone else said, UNC got outplayed at the guard spot. Also, KS was running several big men with fresh legs in there. By all means, I and not jocking Hansboro but don't dis the guy for being good. What will his NBA career be like??? We might have to wait another year. Maybe that's why he has stayed because he already knows. He did draw 4 PC and TC fouls, 2 of which looked like he duped the officials. Also, he's 6'9" which is just fine for PF on the NBA. I think teams would love to have his heart and hope it would be contagious.

Last edited by ChrisSportsFan; Sun Apr 06, 2008 at 10:24am.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 10:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well,I'm sureashell not a TarHeel fan, but I disagree completely with you about Hansborough. He reminds me one heckuva lot of Dave Cowens. They said exactly the same thing about Cowens when he came out of Florida State.....too small to play the post, gonna get his head handed to him, etc. Cowens ended up making all of those so-called experts eat crow, big time.

I concur, that Hansbrough may be a lot like Cowens.....but, I wouldn't necessarily compare the consistant athleticism and size Cowens had to operate against, versus what Hansbrough is going to see. Overall, I believe they have very similar engines, desire, and heart, and I too like the fact that he's more "blue collar". I don't think he's Dave Cowens though (who also had some darn good teams around him (of course, he made them better too)). Time will tell. JMO
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Also, he's 6'9" which is just fine for PF on the NBA.
I believe Hansborough will be lucky to measure a full 6'7". You can normally take whatever they're listed at on the college roster and subtract 2-3". He doesn't have much height and only decent length. He's not very athletic (compared to other college power forwards who will play in the league). His mid-range game has gotten better, but he has sub-par handles for a small PF, and his defense is not NBA-ready.

That said, he works hard and has the "want to" that will land him a roster spot for a long time. If he proves to be a consistent, long-term, productive starter for a team, I'll admit my mistake, but I just don't see it.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 02:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hansborough's NBE success is only a matter of time will tell.

I don't see him amounting to a lot, though.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, and I'll add the thing that disappointed me most about him last night (especially since I needed UNC to win for me to win my bracket pool for pride): he was terrible passing out of double-teams. It's the one place he could have made the biggest impact last night, and instead he constantly tried to force the score through doubles rather than finding the open man.

All that said, he was far from the problem for UNC in the first 15 minutes of that game - the guards had no ability to attack Kansas's pressure and create decent offensive opportunities for anyone. It was a purely amazing 15 minutes of basketball by Bill Self's team.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 03:13pm
Huck Finn

Yes, he does have a lot of desire...but so did Brian Cardinal. To compare him to Dennis Rodman would be an error in my opinion. Rodman was at least athletic to go along with his desire (to rebound the basketball).

Kansas was mildly successful against him because the primary defender stood straight up and a help defender bothered his shot. Some other times they forgot what to do and the primary defender didn't resist the temptation to make contact with him. 90%, at least, of his game depends on the defender making contact. He shot a fewer free throws than he is used to as a result.

I'm not saying he was the reason UNC lost, but he sure didn't look like POY material. Who are the big men for Kansas again? I hope we know enough about basketball to realize he may have won POY, but he is not a Michael Beasley type talent. I've seen this before. When Jamison won POY at UNC I was wondering, "Doesn't everyone realize Vince Carter is a better player?"

Regardless, another year where one of the two teams that routinely get the most talent will not win the championship.