The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Shooting into the sun

Had a situation earlier this year and would like to hear thoughts on it. This was an NCAA men's game. The gym where the game is being played has only one large window in it, and the window is directly behind one of the baskets. It is designated as the visitor's basket for the first half. There is a curtain, but it is not drawn, so the sun is coming through.

During warm-ups, the visiting coach gets my attention and says, "That curtain better be open for the second half, too. You better make sure that they leave it open."

His concern obviously was that his team would have difficulty shooting into the sun, and then the curtain would be closed in the second half, making it easier for the home team to see the basket.

My response was that it's simply not up to the officials. It's not a safety issue; it's more like bench location. I told him if he was concerned to let the game management know about it, but that I wasn't going to get involved.

So how would everybody else handle something like this? Should I have gone to the home coach to talk about it? Or is it better to stay out of it? Just looking for thoughts.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Ed Hightower would have solved the problem by creating an eclipse to block out the sun.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
One of the NCAA games in the men's tournament had a problem with the sun being in the eyes of the free throw shooter. I think game management did handle it. But I think if it was my game, I'd at least be double checking to be sure that they actually do handle it.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
So how would everybody else handle something like this? Should I have gone to the home coach to talk about it? Or is it better to stay out of it? Just looking for thoughts.
Not the way you did. I would have went to game management myself and gotten them to close the curtain, or made sure the curtain didn't magically close in the second half.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Had a situation earlier this year and would like to hear thoughts on it. This was an NCAA men's game. The gym where the game is being played has only one large window in it, and the window is directly behind one of the baskets. It is designated as the visitor's basket for the first half. There is a curtain, but it is not drawn, so the sun is coming through.

During warm-ups, the visiting coach gets my attention and says, "That curtain better be open for the second half, too. You better make sure that they leave it open."

His concern obviously was that his team would have difficulty shooting into the sun, and then the curtain would be closed in the second half, making it easier for the home team to see the basket.

My response was that it's simply not up to the officials. It's not a safety issue; it's more like bench location. I told him if he was concerned to let the game management know about it, but that I wasn't going to get involved.

I hate it when coaches do silly stuff like this for an advantage. And if someone thinks that coaches don't contrive crap like this - they're wrong! I've got first hand evidence that they do!

While I agree that it is a game management issue, I would mention it to game management that my game report to the league would include, in the interest of fairness, whether or not the blinds were closed in both halves; and that he is now aware of the situation which gives him no reason to avoid closing the blinds now, rather than at half-time.

Edit: game report to mention blinds only if blinds were open one half and not the other.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 05:04pm.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I would have went to game management myself and gotten them to close the curtain, or made sure the curtain didn't magically close in the second half.
Me too.

If they can't close the curtain immediately, fine. But don't try to close it later either.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
....... which gives him no reason to avoid closing the blonds now, rather than at half-time.
You need a reason to close a blond? How about to open one?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 05:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You need a reason to close a blond? How about to open one?
Wow... that was a bad typo! I'm sure there are lots of reasons to open a blond. I'm just not going to go there - b/c if I did, my account would be suspended!
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not the way you did. I would have went to game management myself and gotten them to close the curtain, or made sure the curtain didn't magically close in the second half.
I agree with Dan here. Being proactive always helps. Unfortunately, if they tell you they can't do anything about it, but it magically closes in the second half, I don't really think there's anything you can do about it. I would certainly make sure to report it to the appropriate league officials, however.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Unfortunately, if they tell you they can't do anything about it, but it magically closes in the second half,
Coach, that aspect of the gym isn't under my jurisdiction. You can file a protest with the league., and I will also be making a report.

Or could a ref use 2-3?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Coach, that aspect of the gym isn't under my jurisdiction. You can file a protest with the league., and I will also be making a report.

Or could a ref use 2-3?
Who cares what rule you use to fix this.

The coach has a real complaint that needs to be addressed pregame. Just do it (hey I like that, maybe I can sell it to some sneaker company as a slogan?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Unfortunately, if they tell you they can't do anything about it, but it magically closes in the second half, I don't really think there's anything you can do about it.
I disagree
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think you should just tell the coach that it's OK for his players to wear sunglasses. Hey - they wear them in baseball. End of problem.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I think you should just tell the coach that it's OK for his players to wear sunglasses. Hey - they wear them in baseball. End of problem.
What, no cute picture?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Want It, I Got It ...

Quote:
What, no cute picture?
http://re3.yt-thm-a04.yimg.com/image/25/m5/3309737231
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Here's one of Juulie. Is that cute enough?
No. It looks like she has an eye infection and needs an ex-lax.

No more pictures, thanks.