The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

AAU Fight

This happened at a multi-court complex on the north side of Indianapolis (I think over the weekend)...Of course local comments on social media...the refs were blamed by several folks for "not getting control of the game".

At what point are people going to realize this is not a ref problem...this is a parenting problem (some parents). I'd even say it's a coaching problem (some).

Mom calls for more security after fight breaks out at Fishers AAU basketball game - Local News - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

I used to work games here but it's been several years and I don't live on that side of town any longer...Parents were awful then...I guess some things never change!
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

There was no mention of anything the officials did wrong in the article. They actually point out that one of the officials tries to break up the fight. That being said, your statement is correct that situations like this are a parent problem not an officiating one.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66 View Post
There was no mention of anything the officials did wrong in the article. They actually point out that one of the officials tries to break up the fight. That being said, your statement is correct that situations like this are a parent problem not an officiating one.
He said social media commentators believed that the refs should've done better. The wise sages that they are.

AAU tournaments always devolve into something like this. There was one camp I attended where you could guarantee that on Day 2, at 8PM in the humid, non air-conditioned gym, at least 2 kids were going to fight.

I was just surprised to see 3-man on an AAU game.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
I was just surprised to see 3-man on an AAU game.
In my experience typically 3-man AAU games are officiated by campers, not paid officials. It's just as cheap, if not cheaper, to pay the assigner to staff the game with campers as it is to pay a 2-man crew.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 08:53pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
[url=http://www.wthr.com/article/mom-calls-for-more-security-after-fight-breaks-out-at-fishers-aau-basketball-game]
"...during a serious championship game..."

THIS may well be the over-loaded operative phrase of the article.
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 09:04pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
this is a parenting problem (some parents)
Especially when it's parents coming out of the stands to fight with or against the players--or each other.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 07:13am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
In my experience typically 3-man AAU games are officiated by campers, not paid officials. It's just as cheap, if not cheaper, to pay the assigner to staff the game with campers as it is to pay a 2-man crew.
The NIKE EYBL stuff was three person in Chicago the last several years and was not associated with a camp for years. They did have a camp this year at the Girl's EYBL for the first time since it was coming to McCormick Place.

I think NIKE required those games to be 3 person as they were on the bigger floors (70 courts in total and about 4 were EYBL courts) and college rules.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 07:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The NIKE EYBL stuff was three person in Chicago the last several years and was not associated with a camp for years. They did have a camp this year at the Girl's EYBL for the first time since it was coming to McCormick Place.

I think NIKE required those games to be 3 person as they were on the bigger floors (70 courts in total and about 4 were EYBL courts) and college rules.

Peace
Both girls and boys EYBL stops in Hampton are officiated by D1 staff campers (as in officials already on that D1 staff). No way the boys EYBL will ever revert to local officials here. There are simply not enough quality officials in this area to cover that level of basketball. Can't speak for the girls side, but I'm sure it's the same thought process.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Both girls and boys EYBL stops in Hampton are officiated by D1 staff campers (as in officials already on that D1 staff). No way the boys EYBL will ever revert to local officials here. There are simply not enough quality officials in this area to cover that level of basketball. Can't speak for the girls side, but I'm sure it's the same thought process.
At least until this year, they used local officials for the EYBL stuff the 5 years or so the tournament moved to McCormick Place (I big convention center in downtown Chicago). I even did a couple of EYBL games a few weeks ago in this year's tournament that were all local officials (Including myself) and had 3 officials and shot clock. I am not a D1 official on either side. This year the big time supervisor just decided to come back to run a camp here, when she left the event some years ago when the tournament was run all in the suburbs. As a result of there being no D1 officials or camp being run, I personally worked multiple D1 players and even had a few UConn players that were apart of that famous run of undefeated NCAA titles. One of those games I did was a title game at the highest level was a 2 person game with me and a local official that worked college ball at the time.

I am sure they are at the mercy of the person assigning or the overall organization of the official unless they want to put more money into who works those games.

Peace