The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:39am
Ch1town

Assault

So I'm calling a JAM (Junior Athletics of the Midwest) game yesterday, 6th grade boys feeder team. 2nd half when the game is out of reach, the coach of the losing team says "you are cheating my kids" Tweet - no question I gotta stick him.

Coach then steps to me & calls me every name in the book (racial & swear words) Tweet-tweet I run his a$$. After the game the kids shake hands, coach enters the gym & has more choice words for me "F you b!%&%" I have had more than enough at this point, "you know what coach F you too".

He squared up threw a right cross which caught me flush in the left jaw. I'm shocked more than anything, no stumble no fall just kind of shook it off & (to my surprise) maintained my composure & walked away to find the gym supervisor. I wanted to go CHI on him sooooooooooooooo bad, but I wasn't hurt (just my pride) so I left, filed a police report & investigations are underway! The GM of the league called me & was super apologetic about it, other officials called to check on me, area directors for our HS association called me... I have yet to hear from the assignor. Needless to say, I wont be working for that assignor EVER again.

I never thought it would be me, especially at that level of play. My only concern now is the next time I run into those individuals. I ref players at the MS, HS & Pro-AM level who are affiliated with that organization which by the way won the State Championship this year... I have to deal with the fact that people are going to say I got hit & didn't do anything, I'm a snitch because I went to police (ugh) it's gonna be tough in the hood for me this summer!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Way to hang in there. Don't let the rats get to you.

Big ups for filling in the police reports. You did that nor only for yourself, but for the benefit of all of us. Thank you!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:02am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
OUCH! What a jerk! I hope you have witnesses and they throw his a$$ in jail!! Good you didn't fight back....but a shame you had to stoop to his level in the verbal abuse side....

It's easy for us to play "Monday Morning Quarterback", but one never knows what one will do unless faced with the situation.
Good luck and let us know how the saga unfolds this summer and beyond.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
So I'm calling a JAM (Junior Athletics of the Midwest) game yesterday, 6th grade boys feeder team. 2nd half when the game is out of reach, the coach of the losing team says "you are cheating my kids" Tweet - no question I gotta stick him.

Coach then steps to me & calls me every name in the book (racial & swear words) Tweet-tweet I run his a$$. After the game the kids shake hands, coach enters the gym & has more choice words for me "F you b!%&%" I have had more than enough at this point, "you know what coach F you too".

He squared up threw a right cross which caught me flush in the left jaw. I'm shocked more than anything, no stumble no fall just kind of shook it off & (to my surprise) maintained my composure & walked away to find the gym supervisor. I wanted to go CHI on him sooooooooooooooo bad, but I wasn't hurt (just my pride) so I left, filed a police report & investigations are underway! The GM of the league called me & was super apologetic about it, other officials called to check on me, area directors for our HS association called me... I have yet to hear from the assignor. Needless to say, I wont be working for that assignor EVER again.

I never thought it would be me, especially at that level of play. My only concern now is the next time I run into those individuals. I ref players at the MS, HS & Pro-AM level who are affiliated with that organization which by the way won the State Championship this year... I have to deal with the fact that people are going to say I got hit & didn't do anything, I'm a snitch because I went to police (ugh) it's gonna be tough in the hood for me this summer!
Before anyone comes on and tells you this is all your fault for telling the twit to "F off," I want to say that there's a breaking point in all of us and the coach found yours. This was HIS fault -- he was persistent, profane, and in the end he committed assault (verbal and physical) and battery. He should get to spend a few hours in jail getting bailed out. There is no excuse for someone coming back after a game and act like he has some kind of special right to give you abuse because of a job you've already completed.

This is another reason why we should make sure we're in a good situation when working rec leagues. I walked away from one when we had an end of game situation with a lot of ejections and I didn't seem to get a level of support from the supervisors I needed. That was 4 years ago. This year, they ended up having to cancel the league midseason because of a major brawl.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Coach then steps to me & calls me every name in the book (racial & swear words) Tweet-tweet I run his a$$.
Might be a good idea to run that one by the Illinois Human Rights Commission too. This particular clown shouldn't be anywhere near kids. Or human beings.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

You might want to mention to the D.A. about the prior racial remarks. Maybe he can prosecute this as a "hate crime". If found guilty, the guy would be saying "bye bye" for quite a long time. Let's see how he feels about "wearing the stripes".

Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Might be a good idea to run that one by the Illinois Human Rights Commission too. This particular clown shouldn't be anywhere near kids. Or human beings.
Actually, Ch1town is closer to me. He's one of those Ex-patriotic Illini, having moved to Bronco country.

Good you're getting the support you should. If and when I decide to start officiating in Denver, I'll get the applicable assigner's name from you so I can make sure not to work for him in the future.

I agree with Rich. Coach's premeditated verbal assault would probably have led most officials to tell him to self-consumate. Well done on re-gaining your composure after the punch.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Hey Ch1town, are these JAM games reffed alone? I didn't hear you mention a partner. Just curious...did you have a partner?
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nice job...............I'd be talking to an attorney along with the police report.

Good for you for not swinging back. I would imagine this said orginization has seen this movie before with this coach. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:56am
Ch1town

Thanks for the feedback all!

I wish I didn't stoop to his level when I dropped the F bomb at the same time I'm proud of myself for not going CHI on him. I thank God that growing up in the city made me tough & I've always been able to take a lickin & keep on tickin!!!

To answer a few questions:

My partner was taking a verbal lashing from several fans as the incident occured. I don't fault him at all...

The league was shocked about the coaches behavior. They are receiving numerous emails today from biased spectators of said game & unbiased spectators from the following game who witnessed the incident.

I've received a couple of prank calls on the cell today, so I have contacted all of my assignors to change my physical address to a PO Box as I have a wife & daughter to think of.

Although, my ultimate goal is to change this avocation to a career (so I don't have to work these BS off-season games) I'm seriously considering hanging it up... it's just not worth it!!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
I've received a couple of prank calls on the cell today, so I have contacted all of my assignors to change my physical address to a PO Box as I have a wife & daughter to think of.
UN-FRIGGIN REAL! It is so sad what some in our society have come to....over a game! I hope you don't hangem up. We need more who stand by their principles. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family. Your priorities are in the right order.

I had an incident with a coach last yr (doesn't compare to yours though obviously) that really depressed me and made me think about why do we do this? I'm glad I stuck it out as it turned out it was just one incident. Hang in there!!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Before anyone comes on and tells you this is all your fault for telling the twit to "F off," I want to say that there's a breaking point in all of us and the coach found yours. This was HIS fault -- he was persistent, profane, and in the end he committed assault (verbal and physical) and battery. He should get to spend a few hours in jail getting bailed out. There is no excuse for someone coming back after a game and act like he has some kind of special right to give you abuse because of a job you've already completed.
We are human first, officials a distant second. I never expect a human being to take getting assaulted or called all kinds of names and just walk away without a comment or response.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Hang in there. I'm with all the other officials that will applaud you for how you handled this assault. File the police report, contact an attorney and do what you need to do to protect you and your family. I can only hope that this coach will be removed by his own parents and league.

keep us informed as to what happens.

Don't hang up the whistle!
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone.
I would be horrified if he isn't.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I can only hope if I was put in the same situation as you, I could react as well as you did. Maintaning your composure must have been a challenge, to say the least. The ability to do that says a lot about your character.