The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....505100232may10,1,4180602,print.story?coll=cs-highschool-headlines

Softball dad guilty in assault of ump
Naperville man awaits sentencing
By Art Barnum
Tribune staff reporter

May 10, 2005

The Naperville father of a high school softball player was convicted Monday of misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct for swearing at and threatening an umpire.

Mark Riley, 44, faces up to 30 days in the County Jail when he is sentenced June 6 by Judge Brian McKillip.

"The purpose of interscholastic sports is to build character," said McKillip, who convicted Riley of the two charges, but acquitted him of the more serious charge of battery, which carries a sentence of up to a year in jail.

Riley was arrested after an April 28, 2004 game in West Chicago between the freshman teams from Naperville Central and West Chicago High Schools.

Assistant State's Atty. William Wu said that in an early part of the game, Riley's daughter was warned about wearing an ear stud and made her remove it. Illinois high school rules prohibit wearing jewelry during sporting events.

The next inning, when the same girl came to bat, she was wearing a bracelet. The umpire ejected her.

Riley began yelling and cursing at the umpire from the sidelines and was ordered to leave the field area, Wu said.

"The parent became upset and disagreed with the call," Wu said.

The umpire, Phillip Garee, 18, a senior at Neuqua Valley High School in Naperville, testified that after the game as he was walking to his car, Riley approached him, stood in front of him, swore at him and poked his finger in his chest.

Marc Wolfe, Riley's attorney, said, "there is no evidence of any physical contact. This was nothing more than a school baseball game and a slight disagreement between a parent and an umpire."

Garee, who is IHSA-certified to be a softball umpire, said he was happy with the judge's decision.

"Umpires aren't protected enough," he said.

Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Mark Riley, 44

Riley was arrested after an April 28, 2004 game in West Chicago between the freshman teams from Naperville Central and West Chicago High Schools.

The umpire, Phillip Garee, 18, a senior at Neuqua Valley High School
Simply unbelievable. Thanks for update, Rut.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Just more Freshman ball.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Freshman ball and an 18 year old umpire.

I thought someone would get a kick out of this story.

Peace
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

It's quite possible that this 18 year old did a great job and calls a good game (I say this because at 18 years old, I was doing alot of things in the business world that nobody believed I could or should do). There's a problem when a 15 year old girl doesn't understand that she cannot wear juwelry when playing HS sports. Then after being told no errings, she didn't take off her bracelet. Where's her coach in all this? Why didn't he make sure ALL players were legally equipped? Then the figgen genius Dad is going to step in and defend his little girl no matter how wrong she was in the first place. What really needs to happen here is a discipline handed down from the school that Dad can't come to anymore games for 1 year.

[Edited by ChrisSportsFan on May 10th, 2005 at 02:51 PM]
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
It's quite possible that this 18 year old did a great job and calls a good game. There's a problem when a 15 year old girl doesn't understand that she cannot wear juwelry when playing HS sports. Then after being told no errings, she didn't take off her bracelet. Where's her coach in all this? Why didn't he make sure ALL players were legally equipped? Then the figgen genius Dad is going to step in and defend his little girl no matter how wrong she was in the first place. What really needs to happen here is a discipline handed down from the school that Dad can't come to anymore games for 1 year.

Not only is this a softball issue, this is an every sport issue. Not matter what sport she plays, you cannot wear jewelry ever. This is something that is a huge deal in my area. I cannot believe this would be a shock to any coach or player in any way.

Peace
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 02:05pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm wondering here...the article says that early in the game she was wearing the ear stud and was told to remove it...the next inning she had the bracelet on...so did she have the bracelet on the whole time, or did she take the stud out and then put the bracelet on as an "I'll show that ump" kind of thing???

Not that it matters - the ump did the correct thing, but the way I read the article, it seems like she put the bracelet on to "show up" the ump, and it backfired big-time...

It will be interesting to see what the actual punishment ends up being...
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Hopefully this clown gets all 30 days and a big fine. At least this one realized he was an umpire!!
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Hopefully this clown gets all 30 days and a big fine. At least this one realized he was an umpire!!
Yea...the dark blue shirt must have given him away whereas stripes must blend in w/ regular clothing.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Yea...the dark blue shirt must have given him away whereas stripes must blend in w/ regular clothing.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I think that they must -- especially when worn with red or blue plaid high water pants and white socks and white patent leather loafers.