The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 05:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thoughts and questions from Duke/WV

No-called backcourt situation. WV had the ball near the line, and Duke slapped it up into the air. WV player retreated to the BC and caught the ball before it hit the floor in the BC.
Official no-called it and gave the foul-tip signal. My first thought, "They missed that one." Then I kept thinking, and realized this is the play where it seems the case play (NFHS) contradicts the rule. I'm not sure if NCAA has the same interp.

Injury on an illegal screened (great call) with just under 8 minutes left, it looked like a TV timeout. The turds with the microphones indicated that the injured player was allowed to stay in due to the timeout. My question, does a TV timeout suffice for this, or would a coach need to use one of his own in order to keep the player in the game? I have no idea how they did it, it just made me curious.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
No-called backcourt situation. WV had the ball near the line, and Duke slapped it up into the air. WV player retreated to the BC and caught the ball before it hit the floor in the BC.
Official no-called it and gave the foul-tip signal. My first thought, "They missed that one." Then I kept thinking, and realized this is the play where it seems the case play (NFHS) contradicts the rule. I'm not sure if NCAA has the same interp.

Injury on an illegal screened (great call) with just under 8 minutes left, it looked like a TV timeout. The turds with the microphones indicated that the injured player was allowed to stay in due to the timeout. My question, does a TV timeout suffice for this, or would a coach need to use one of his own in order to keep the player in the game? I have no idea how they did it, it just made me curious.
I seen both plays and my initial thought was it was a BC violation. Trainer wasn't beckon media time-out simple situation player plays.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. NCAA has it right.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How is this a BC violation?

What case play contradicts the rule?

9-9-1
A player shall not be the first to touch a ball after it has been in team control in the frontcourt, if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt before it went to the backcourt.

9.9.1 SITUATION C: A1 is dribbling in his/her backcourt and throws a pass to the frontcourt. While standing in A's frontcourt: (a) A2 or (b) B3 touches the ball and deflects it back to A's backcourt. A2 recovers in the backcourt. RULING: In (a), it is a violation. The ball was in control of Team A, and a player from A was the last to touch the ball in frontcourt and a player of A was the first to touch it after it returned to the back court. In (b), legal play. A Team A player was not the last to touch the ball in the frontcourt. Team A is entitled to a new 10-second count.

This isn't a BC violation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe it wasn't a case play, it might have been an NFHS interp from their website.

It said if the ball bounced in the BC first, it wasn't a violation. If it didn't, it was. I'm glad NCAA did it right.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

I am shocked and disappointed......hahahahahahahahahahaha

Maybe not so much......
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Expect nothing less from a Terps fan... NIT!

Anyways, I had the Duke player knocking it away again as the WVU player started to regain possession of it. All before the ball ever went into the backcourt.

Official did start a new 10 second count....

Higgins T was pretty easy though... guy just about lost his mind. Not sure who got him though...
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 09:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Backcourt NFHS ...

Is this play relevant?

NFHS 2007-08 BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS
SITUATION 6: Team A is making a throw-in near the division line in the team's frontcourt. A1's throw-in is deflected by B1, who is applying direct pressure on A1. A2 jumps from the team's frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. The throw-in ends when it is legally touched by B1. When A2 gains possession/control in the air, he/she has frontcourt status. A backcourt violation has occurred when A2 lands in the backcourt. (9-9-1; 9-9-3)
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
How is this a BC violation?

What case play contradicts the rule?
Here ya go, from NFHS 2007/2008 Basketball Rules Interpretations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFHS.org
SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Is this play relevant?

NFHS 2007-08 BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS
SITUATION 6:
See my previous post. Situation 10 is the relevant one.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

The case play and rule I cited are correct. Interp 10 is wrong.

Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:30pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
The case play and rule I cited are correct. Interp 10 is wrong.
Does that mean they have published a correction, or does that mean only that sensible people who can read know it's wrong?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

State rep told us it was wrong and supposed to be corrected but I guess they never did.

Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 12:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
State rep told us it was wrong and supposed to be corrected but I guess they never did.
I hope they get it done. The ramifications of the interp are pretty broad and frightening, to be honest. It does directly contradict the case play in you quoted.