Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 04:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryston
Always think the coach is there to coach his/her team
and to my sure the ref is calling it even both ways!If u
feel that he /she is trying to show bad sportsmanship talk to him /her in a adult way if that doesn't work tell your partner the problem and then handle it by the book and not the foot. Just be understanding (1) If they never seen u before it just a test to see if they move you (2) BIGGEST thing to remember no the rule and late the Game go on to see if you can weather the storm. ( He/She might not know the rules so they do what they seen other do. (But know the rule and then build u a good shield of ref. power)
The sound you just heard was Juulie's head exploding!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee [/B]
The sound you just heard was Juulie's head exploding! [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, JR. I just ignored the post b/c halfway thru it, my head started to feel like it might explode. But you're right, of course. The offense is compounded by the fact that Juulie started this thread!!

Chuck
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

I do not say a lot to the coach either. I have been taught to always handle all communication with three criteria: in a calm manner, with professionalism and never debate. While there are many phrases that work, each one depends upon the game as each coach is different, the games vary from night to night and everybody, including the coach can have a bad day.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Thanks, folks for all the suggestions. I'm printing out the whole thread and processing it. The humor, the explaining, the listening, the acknowledgement, the agreement, the admission of posssible mistake -- I had already used in the first three quarters, and was pretty well mashed over. And what Crew said about some of the comments being inflammatory instead of helpful had been true, too. I was digging at the bottom of the barrel for tools -- and coming up empty-handed. The worst problem was that the coach had the fans all worked up. He didn't do it overtly, so I couldn't deal with it directly, but it became real obvious by half-time that he was playing to the crowd. And they were appreciating!! With 1.5 minutes left in the game, and the score tied, both coach and asst coach each with a T, and one player just having committed an intentional foul, which I suppose could have been called flagrant it was so rough, the fans were screaming at me about how I was about to lose the game for them, because of all my racial prejudices. I know we aren't supposed to listen to fans, but it got through. Especially since everyone on the bench was also screaming it.

So, at that point, what's left? I probably should have started tossing coaches, but my mentor said later that even that would not have been best. He (mentor) wanted me to walk away, and try to ignore the whole mess, and get the game over with. Have a sentence or two to say if I got stuck in front of the bench. Well, I'm still working on that last part. I've observed a few games where things were getting pretty heated and the ref went and talked to the coach and the game got done, but I don't know what was said. I think that's what Tom wants from me. Believe me, I'll be asking more questions at those games from now on!!!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
the fans were screaming at me about how I was about to lose the game for them, because of all my racial prejudices.
Aren't the stripes black AND white?
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Josh,
I see you work in Michigan and Ohio.
Is Mark T. DeNucci your interpreter?
mick
i work in SE michigan, and as far west as the indiana border, working about in a 70 mile radius in the NW ohio region as well.
ive worked a few games with MR deNucci, but im not sure if he is an interpreter or not. I know he isnt for the TOledo association, consisting of approximately 225 officialsbut he might be for the Wood county Bowling green association, which consists of abuot 30 officials.i am members of both associations which has helped me to advance my career at my youthful age.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2002, 11:33pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
Quote:
Josh,
mick
i work in SE michigan, and as far west as the indiana border, working about in a 70 mile radius in the NW ohio region as well.
ive worked a few games with MR deNucci, but im not sure if he is an interpreter or not. I know he isnt for the TOledo association, consisting of approximately 225 officialsbut he might be for the Wood county Bowling green association, which consists of abuot 30 officials.i am members of both associations which has helped me to advance my career at my youthful age.
Josh,
Good idea to work with both groups. Keep up the good work.

Yes, Mr Mark T. DeNucci does work for:
Rules Interpreter &
Instructional Chairman
Wood Co. Bkb. Off. Assn.
Bowling Green, Ohio

mick
a Yooper
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Ovens
Quote:
Josh,
mick
Josh,
Good idea to work with both groups. Keep up the good work.

Yes, Mr Mark T. DeNucci does work for:
Rules Interpreter &
Instructional Chairman
Wood Co. Bkb. Off. Assn.
Bowling Green, Ohio

mick
a Yooper
mick, theres no doubt in my mind that mark konws the rules. many officials wish they had mark's knowledge. and i hope someday, i do too...
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
...The worst problem was that the coach had the fans all worked up. He didn't do it overtly, so I couldn't deal with it directly, but it became real obvious by half-time that he was playing to the crowd. And they were appreciating!! ...the fans were screaming at me about how I was about to lose the game for them, because of all my racial prejudices. I know we aren't supposed to listen to fans, but it got through. Especially since everyone on the bench was also screaming it.

So, at that point, what's left?
Wow. Sounds like a tough game. Being prepared with a list
of things to calm things down with is good to have. But I
think you were in way deeper than that and I'm going to disagree with your mentor in this regard - your one liner to the coach to get the game under control & done should
have come way earlier. My advice? When you saw the
coach was playing the crowd you might have had a quick word
with him. Non-threatening, quietly, just you and he during
a dead ball. "Coach, your behavior is undermining my
authority and I can't have it." No one else should hear
this, because you have laid down the law to him and let him
know who's in charge. Either he'll get it and stop or he
won't and then you have got to take him immediately.
This guy wanted to make it personal between you and he,
you needed to cut him off at the knees right away. IMO.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, if that's the way it happened, then I missed it. But I just didn't see that."

I actually said this to a Coach a couple of weeks ago.
Ball gets kicked around during a rebound, goes off
Home team, but enough contact that I could have called a foul, (Mr.D, and all other non-Dark Side officals cover your ears) so I gave it to home team, in order to save visting team a foul.
Visiting team is yelling at me that I missed it.
So I wentup to him and I said, "Coach, it went off your girl" He says "No it didn't, it went of their team"
(Insert above excuse here)
To which he replied, "Ok, I've missed a few tonight myself.
Just don't miss another one." We both had a good laugh about it and parted ways.
Classy Coach, and one time that saying I missed a call worked out.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

When you saw the
coach was playing the crowd you might have had a quick word
with him. Non-threatening, quietly, just you and he during
a dead ball. "Coach, your behavior is undermining my
authority and I can't have it." No one else should hear
this, because you have laid down the law to him and let him
know who's in charge. Either he'll get it and stop or he
won't and then you have got to take him immediately.
This guy wanted to make it personal between you and he,
you needed to cut him off at the knees right away. IMO. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. There are games where there is no good in talking, you just have to take care of business from the get go. Where was your partner during this? We are a team and should support each other. Hopefully the other official did.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie:

Obviously a tough spot to be in. The key is to differentiate between coaches you can talk to and coaches you can't. This guy appears from the thread to be one you couldn't talk to. At that point a simple "Coach I've had enough" might have sufficed. If not, the rules give you a powerful weapon that needs to be used at times. Another that I've used is "Coach, that's strike two and you know what happens on third". I also heard this approach "Coach, I'd really like you to see the end of this ballgame but it's really up to you whether you do or not". If the coach doesn't get the point after that, there is one signal that he/she will clearly understand "T". If not he/she might get to see it twice just so you're clear he/she understood it.
Old Tue Mar 05, 2002, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Juulie, I like what Chuck said, "Coach, if it happened that way then I missed it." I use this line often. If a player comes up to me and says, "Eli, he hit me on the arm." "Chris, I saw him block the shot." "No, he hit me on the arm." "OK, Chris, if he hit you on the arm, I missed it." Try to not say "think" or "know". "Chris, I thought he blocked the shot." This sounds too unsure. "Chris, I know he blocked the shot." This sounds too cockcy and you might actually be wrong. I have told players or coaches the "I know" or "I am sure" comment only to see it on the tape and find out I am wrong. You can never go wrong with "I saw". You might of saw it wrong or missed it but your only human and your eyes can't catch everything. If Chris persists, I can say "Chris, I could of very well missed it. That is what I saw though. I am not going to get every call right."
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I have even had the experience of a player arguing about a foul call, "How can you call that, I didn't touch him!"
And when I said something like "You hit him on the arm"
the player says "I didn't touch him" and I replied,
" Ok, I might have missed it then." the player actually said,
"Alright, good call." Huh?
Hey, whatever works.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker,

Was there one incident in the game where the coach got upset or was he/she a jerk from the beginning?

Someone on this forum once told me to ignore the coach until it started interferring with my ability to call the game, then T him/her up.

If the coach keeps howling, perhaps what you need to say is "Goodbye."