The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

A player's shoe comes off during a live ball

Saw this in a game Sat. Team A has the ball and is driving for the basket and a player on team B looses his shoe, one of the officials blows his whistle and stops play, the shot goes in. OH BOY!!!! The officials have a conference and decide to give the ball back to Team A and basket doesn't count. First I don't believe the whistle should of been blown to start with ( I believe the other 2 officials knew this) But after this happened I think they did the only they could and that was give the ball back to Team A and resume play. Have any of you had this happen to you? (The shot came just after the whistle, so you can't count the basket)

Last edited by TonyT; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 11:34am.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:11am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
That is an IWCOA. [Inadvertent Whistle Chewing Out After}
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:28am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT
whistle show
I went to a whistle show once. It had dancing whistles and some of them even took their lanyards off!
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:34am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I went to a whistle show once. It had dancing whistles and some of them even took their lanyards off!
If it included any of these, I think I saw the same show.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Thanks I edited the post

Quote:
Just wondering. If you are a big time ref then why are you reffing these 5th and 6th grade girls games and rec games?
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Just wondering. If you are a big time ref then why are you reffing these 5th and 6th grade girls games and rec games?
This outghta be good. I'll keep you out of my ignore file for now so I can see how you handle the sh1tstorm I expect this will start.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
So 5th and 6th grade girls games and rec games are two different things? Huh?

And, just to satisfy your misplaced curiosity, I've been on the board of our local kids rec league for over 15 years and I personally kept it from folding twice, once due to lack of funds and the other time due to lack of volunteers. I take my relationship with this league very seriously. It's just one of the many community volunteer efforts with which I'm associated.

BTW - keep it light. You're in the big leagues here. We only get "personal" with fanboys.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 11:44am.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 11:48am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
But once quoted, it's etched in stone. You have to edit pretty quickly around here.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 12:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Just wondering. Are you also a "big time ref" or is this some kind of hero worship thing?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 12:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's The Game, It's The Players ...

Quote:
I've been on our local IAABO board for twenty-seven years, working varsity high school games for over twenty of those twenty-seven years. Although I've never worked a state tournament game, I have worked conference tournament games, including conference tournament finals.

I also work in a Catholic school league, that includes boys, and girls, from the lower grades through eighth grade. Games on weeknights involve the older players. Games on weekends involve only younger players.

This past Friday, my supervisor let me leave work two hours early, and lose two hours pay, to work a Special Olympics Unified Games tournament, for free. I worked five games, and two involved kids playing in wheelchairs, being pushed by high school volunteer partners. I didn't make any calls, other than out of bounds all afternoon, not a foul, not a travel, not an illegal dribble, but I felt appreciated, not a single critical comment about my calls, or lack of, by players, coaches, and fans. I don't ask my supervisor to leave work early to do varsity games, but I do every year for this tournament.

So, here I am, a pretty good high school varsity official, working a game with fourth and fifth graders on a Sunday afternoon? Why? Because I love officiating interscholastic basketball. Why should I be sitting in my Lazy-Boy watching a college, or professional, game on television, when I can be out there on the floor running up and down the floor with the kids.

I love this game. I love interacting with the players, coaches, and fans, no matter what the level. Yet I still consider myself to be a "big time" official.

Mars Blackmon (Spike Lee) said "It's gotta be the shoes." He was wrong. It's the game. It's the players.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 12:31pm.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Big time?

I like to consider myself a big time middle school ref. I get to work a middle school camp for our local 8th grade coach this summer. I am kind of excited about it. To me, "a game is a game" no matter what level it is.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Big Time" Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblanton
To me, "a game is a game" no matter what level it is.
Amen. To those kids, that game is the most important game of the day. The officials should treat it likewise.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 03:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quite possibly the most stupidest post this month.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

TonyTravesty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Quite possibly the most stupidest post this month.
Sorry to disagree with you Snaqwells, but that is the stupidest post I've ever read yet on this forum! An unbelievable travesty to the officials that are part of this group. When I first started viewing this sight, I only had to read about two of Mark's posts to discern that he loves the game and kids and that's all that matters. (Same for me by the way, care less what level or gender, just love the game, glad to be a part in any way.) I never want to be a "big time" reff in TonyT's book!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BTW - keep it light. You're in the big leagues here. We only get "personal" with fanboys.
Oh noes.....is he questioning your fanhood?

Barbed wire baby...all the way around.