The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

I'm The Decision Maker

Some of you may recognize that as a statement made by our President. But it gave me a thought.

We are the Decision makers in basketball games.

Personally, I coached for 11 years before I became an official. I felt like there were times when an official didn't like me and called the game against me. Since I have become an official, I don't believe that so much any more. BUT, There are times when a coach gets under my skin. There are times when I hope his team loses. But I don't want to be a part of him losing. Sometimes so much so that even when I should "T" him up I have avoided it so that I didn't become a part of that.

Here's my point ( and I do have one ) Tonight, I had a coach that I "T"ed up his son last week. there was under 1 minute in that game and it was a good call. It was a 1 point game at that point and the team shooting the free throws had 2 for the shooting foul and 2 for the "T" and got the ball scored all 6 points to take the lead and win the game.

Tonight I go to him before the game to explain what had happened at the last game ( I know we have talked about these things before ) I wanted to clear the air before tonight's game. I said to him " Coach last week when we were discussion the "T" on your son," he interrupted and said " We never discussed a "T" and walked away rudely. So I waked away. It doesn't make sense to get on an official on your bad side before or even after a game.

Again to make a point, you really can't say that you make a difference in calling your game based on the attitude of a coach, but do you ever go into a game and hope a team wins over another?

In 8 years, I have had 2 coaches that I have had problems with on a regular basis. ( remember we have 15 schools that we officiate, that means we are going to see these people a lot during a year. One year I had one school 21 times , different levels ( Girls JV and Varsity and Boys JV), but one school )
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 12:22am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
but do you ever go into a game and hope a team wins over another?
Never. I only care that at the end of regulation time, one team has at least one point more than the other.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 01:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

What prompted you to approach the coach about a previous game? Good job walking away, but I can't imagine ever doing that.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 05:51am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan

Tonight I go to him before the game to explain what had happened at the last game ( I know we have talked about these things before ) I wanted to clear the air before tonight's game. I said to him " Coach last week when we were discussion the "T" on your son," he interrupted and said " We never discussed a "T" and walked away rudely. So I waked away. It doesn't make sense to get on an official on your bad side before or even after a game.
In this situation, you had a coach that was smart enough to let last week's game go, which is what all participants are supposed to do. You initiated an encounter that should never have been initiated. Very big mistake. If a coach asks you a question about a past play, answer it. If he just wants to complain about a past play, deal with it. If he just wants to coach this week's game with a clean slate, be appreciative and let him.

Your objective wasn't to explain anything. You were trying to gain his approval. You were looking for him to pat you on the head and say "That's all right, Turtle". There's no need to do so. All you did was put yourself on the coach's bad side before the game.

Again, big mistake on your part.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Turtle,

T these coaches and their players BEFORE they get under your skin. Don't ride home with YOUR stomach churning. If you do that, you want be coming to the next game worrying about what he thinks.

As you know, a coach will finally get the message that when he sees you come in the door, he is going to have to display good bench decorum. A good coach will give his team every chance that he can to win tonight's game. If he doesn't care about helping his team win, then why should you care?

T his *** every time he starts and quit worrying about it.

Mulk
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 09:59am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sigh ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I only care that at the end of regulation time, one team has at least one point more than the other.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Just to get it right I believe he said:

"I am the deceider"

Did I spell that right?
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 04:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue
Just to get it right I believe he said:

"I am the deceider"

Did I spell that right?
Nope. "Decider". Though I'm not sure it's in Webster's.
Old Sun Mar 09, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I don't really have anything to add to the discussion, but I felt a post was necessary given my tagline.
Old Mon Mar 10, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

I think a couple of people nailed it early. Don't go to a coach first. Let them initiate almost all conversations. This took me a while to learn, but I can assure you I have far fewer problems now. As far as not wanting to call the T late, just remember, we assess technicals when earned, we don't just give them out. If he earns one, he deserves it.