The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
..... Jmaellis, as one in law enforcement, where is your line? Who needs it, and who doesnt? I'm guessing that you say EVERYONE.....
The inevitable, yet unanswerable question ... "Who need it .. where is the line?"

Everyone? I a perfect world with unlimited resources I would like to see that. Of course that's not realistic. Nor do I advocate that ANY impropriety in a person's background should necessarily disqualify them from a position of trust, but at least the knowledge of the impropriety will hopefully allow those that make these decisions to be informed.

For me, based upon my professional experience, I would like to see those who are in a position of trust/control/authority over children be required to submit to background checks. Those people who we, as parents, tell our children to trust/respect because of their position. That being said, the vast majority of those who commit crimes against children are people who would never go through a background check .. close friends who we entrust your children to .. Uncle Bob .. mom's new boyfriend .. etc (a nearly endless list). "Stranger Danger" ... sheeesh, ..... not even close.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
If you haven't done anything wrong, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. That being said, Background Checks will begin in Texas starting the 08-09 school year, and at a cost or $65-85 to each official. I know a lot of officials who NET $750-800 per year calling games and have told me in no uncertain terms, that if they are required to submit to a criminal background check just to call some JH, JV, or the occassional Var. game that they will be hanging up their stripes. Whether or not they do . . . well, that is yet to be seen. I can't say I blame them.
At the present time there has not been any decision made as to whether or not TASO officials will be mandated to provide background checks. It is rumors like this that keep our officiating community in an uproar over issues which may not even be relevant to us. Unless things change between now and November, you and your friends (as well as me) will still have that $65-$85 in your pocket to spend on something else.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Great discussion!!!

Now would it change your opinion if you knew one of your fellow officials was once found guilty of "improper conduct"when they were coaching high school girls?? Now they are officiating to "stay in the basketball world".

What would you do?

BTW you don't need to have sexual relations with a young athlete for it to be improper. Any type of unwelcome contact, words or advances in inappropriate!
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

re Criminal Records Checks

I work with a Catholic school system. Parents are strongly encouraged to participate in some volunteer manner, such that thousands of them volunteer. Everyone of them attends a seminar about protecting children from abuse, and they all pay for their own background checks (local and FBI). If they become inactive for over 6 months, they have to get a new background check. Some private companies offer national criminal background search for lower cost with instant results, but they do not qualify for the School system, which requires the FBI fingerprinted background check.
So, I'm betting that there will be plenty of Officials and Referees willing to get a background check and keep the league running properly. The procedure is pretty simple. Get your fingerprints taken at you local sheriff's office. If they scan you fingerprints electronically, then you just pay and it's done. If they take your fingerprints with ink on a paper card, then you have to mail it into the FBI and to your State criminal records bureau.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Background Checks will begin in Texas starting the 08-09 school year, and at a cost or $65-85 to each official.
This isn't settled yet. TASO is looking to see if officials are covered by a recently enacted state statute that talks about employees of school district contractors being required to have background checks conducted. There are a lot of problems with this. First of all, officials aren't employees. Second, usually, the local chapter doesn't actually contract with the school but rather with the school. Some may say this is a distinction without a difference, but that can be important when discussing statutory interpretation. Finally, believe it or not, the way the statute is worded, it doesn't make clear what hurdles, if any, must be cleared. In other words, the individual doesn't actually have to PASS a background check, just have one administered. In addition, it doesn't talk about what offenses or other background information would disqualify an official from working. Could a quick search on publicdata.com suffice? I see nothing in the statute that says it can't. Thus, an expensive check may not be necessary.

With that said, it appears that I am one of the ones in our chapter who, by committee appointment, will be working on this. Lets keep this topic active because I'm interested in what's going on elsewhere.
Old Sat Mar 22, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes officials on the field/court are not in private situations with potential for contact, but I can say as an official I have been in a number of less than public situations with students, after a football playoff game last year our crew shared a shower room with the visiting team, at a basketball tournament a few years ago the path out of the official's lockerroom to the front door went right through the cheerleader's warm up room. If I or any of my crewmates wanted to violate the law they would have had the opportunity.

Yes officials should have to submit to background checks, by all means.

No the officials should not have to cover this cost, it should be a part of the state association's licensing requirements. When we certify child care providers we cover the cost for the background checks and include it as a budget need. There is more and more revenue coming into the high school sports to offset that cost.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
No the officials should not have to cover this cost, it should be a part of the state association's licensing requirements. When we certify child care providers we cover the cost for the background checks and include it as a budget need. There is more and more revenue coming into the high school sports to offset that cost.
A couple of examples: American Red Cross volunteers pay for their own background checks. I work for a Catholic school systems. Parents are heavily encouraged to volunteer and thousands of them do. They must attend a seminar on preventing child abuse and they pay for their own background checks. If they become inactive for 6 months, then they must pay for another background check.
To do a free background check on someone, you may contact multiple government offices while collecting information for a State background check. In Colorado, one place to start is the official website for the state of Colorado located on the web at www.colorado.gov . You will find a complete list of state agencies with phone numbers as well as other helpful information on obtaining vital records including the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. This is where you can find contact information to vital records offices to every Colorado county.
The Attorney General’s site is at http://www.ago.state.co.us/index.cfm . They can be useful in finding information for a Colorado background check.
The Colorado Secretary of State is located at http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/business/main.htm . The Secretary of State holds business and corporate records. You may need to check a potential business partner or run a nationwide criminal background record search on anyone you may hire or plan to do business with before committing yourself financially.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's one thing to require volunteers to pay for their own; they're volunteering anyway; although one should be aware of the negative impact the requirement will have on the number of volunteers.

For officiating, if you require officials to pay for their own checks, you'll have the same affect, maybe more. Our motives aren't nearly as altruistic, even though we don't do it "for the money."

That said, if the requirement were instituted at the same time as, say, an increase in game fees, it might go better.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by santio
I work for a Catholic school systems. Parents are heavily encouraged to volunteer and thousands of them do. They must attend a seminar on preventing child abuse and they pay for their own background checks. If they become inactive for 6 months, then they must pay for another background check.
We have a similar thing here in Columbus with our Catholic Schools. All parent volunteers and any coaches must take a course "Protecting God's Children" and be fingerprinted. I also officiate USA Volleyball and am subject to paying for a backround check every 2 years at $20. This is over and above any other fees.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Because I was a coach, I have had a background check done. I am for everyone having it done.

I coached for 11 years and refereed for 8 now. So , my background check was done way long time ago. Better safe than sorry. It's another plus to give to the school systems.

We had a guy come into our assocation that had a problem in his background. He was banned from the association, but not before he had done about 15 games for us. But they found out about him. There maybe others that we just don't know about. we have people move here all the time and get into refereeing.