The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Criminal Record Checks

I was recently in a discussion with a fellow member who also coaches. And he asked me why officials do not have criminal record checks as part of the membership and his coaching association requires it. I stated our association has made the choice not to do them, at this point at least.

What are some of your opinions to having officials getting criminal record checks?
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Coaches spend anywhere from 10 to 20 (or more) hours with the same kids each week; often times in private settings.

Officials spend only the amount of game time we have with kids each week (maybe, at most, 10 hours). They're different kids each night, and never in a private setting of any type. Nothing we do on the court can't be taped by a parent.

My understanding of criminal checks is they are a way of trying to prevent any inappropriate activity between the players and their adult coaches.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I know we are subjected to some background checks by our state. But as Snaqs says, our interaction is very limited. I would think giving background checks of fans would make more sense considering that people that attend games will likely see the kids more than we ever will.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I've had coaches say some of my calls were criminal, but they never asked for a background check.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 09:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut Local Board Application ...

This is on our Connecticut local board's application. I don't know what the membership committee does if the answer is yes???

"Have you ever been convicted of a crime? If yes, please
explain."
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:09pm
Official & Member

State of Florida requires any individual who works on a high school campus to submit to a fingerprint and background check every five years. The state legislature passed the Jessica Lunsford act several years ago and all sports officials as well as any other type of subcontractor or contractor who enters school grounds must submit as a condition of their hiring.

It is expensive to say the least...around $65 per individual. Initially the state and local school boards absorbed the cost for officials. Now, a couple years in, we're on our own. Kind of a sign of the times we live and work in.

Jessica Lunsford was a 9 year old was was raped and murdered by a convicted sex offender in Feb 2005. Her assailant lived about 100 yards from her home. The Jessica Lunsford act also requires much closer tracking of sex offenders in Florida, which seem to be abundant here. Her murderer awaits execution on Florida's death row.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I've had coaches say some of my calls were criminal, but they never asked for a background check.
Are you sure the stripes on your shirt are vertical?

Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvhoops
I was recently in a discussion with a fellow member who also coaches. And he asked me why officials do not have criminal record checks as part of the membership and his coaching association requires it. I stated our association has made the choice not to do them, at this point at least.

What are some of your opinions to having officials getting criminal record checks?
If you haven't done anything wrong, then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. That being said, Background Checks will begin in Texas starting the 08-09 school year, and at a cost or $65-85 to each official. I know a lot of officials who NET $750-800 per year calling games and have told me in no uncertain terms, that if they are required to submit to a criminal background check just to call some JH, JV, or the occassional Var. game that they will be hanging up their stripes. Whether or not they do . . . well, that is yet to be seen. I can't say I blame them.

MY opinion is that I am NEVER in contact with any athlete in a private setting . . . only on the floor, and yet I am to be treated with the same "caution" as a coach or teacher who is regularly in a private and unsupervised setting with students/athletes. Yet, in many states they are not required to go through a Criminal Background Check. I have a hard time accepting that scenario. But, that's just me. (NOTE: Criminal Background Checks for ALL education professionals in Texas (teachers, aides, etc.) were instituted 1-2 years ago, and will be in effect for ALL district employees beginning next year. YEAH!!!)

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:05pm.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 11:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Her murderer awaits execution on Florida's death row.
They should bring Old Sparky out of retirement.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

I'd prefer to see him drawn and quarted with a rusty, dull chainsaw. But we could strap the pieces into old sparky and have a go with it.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

I was surprised when I began officiating volleyball about three years ago, then basketball last year and softball this year that I have not been asked/required to undergo a criminal background check. Rationalizing that sports officials are somehow less of a threat because they (are supposed to) only have contact with the children on the court, is just not a reasonable excuse for not having them undergo some sort of background check. Officiating could easily provide the opportunity for future access to the child/teen.

With that being said, the truth of the matter is, even though we need to be concerned about those people with a history, we need to be even more concerned about those who have yet to be caught.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

When the Jessica law first came into effect, the b/g check was for EACH county in FLA the official worked.

IL, yes, included in license fee. WI, none.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 09:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Rationalizing that sports officials are somehow less of a threat because they (are supposed to) only have contact with the children on the court, is just not a reasonable excuse for not having them undergo some sort of background check. Officiating could easily provide the opportunity for future access to the child/teen.
How so? I'm not rationalizing it. I'm thinking of the cost against the risk. The cost is high, especially since most of the time the officials would have to foot the bill for the background checks. The risk of not doing it is extremely low.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
How so? I'm not rationalizing it. I'm thinking of the cost against the risk. The cost is high, especially since most of the time the officials would have to foot the bill for the background checks. The risk of not doing it is extremely low.
In Washington State, we have to submit one every 2-3 years. No cost to us. I haven't talked to any officials in our area that are against it.
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
In Washington State, we have to submit one every 2-3 years. No cost to us. I haven't talked to any officials in our area that are against it.
I wouldn't have a problem with it either if I didn't have to pay for it. Although, if the state is paying for them, I'd probably have a problem as a tax-payer. I think it's a waste of money.

It's not an issue in Colorado, though, so I don't have a dog in the fight either way.