The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of Shows, he was involved in some controversy on Sat

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20...TS10/488518907

Looks like SEC Head of Officials Gerald Boudreaux will be investigating the way the Alabama-Ole Miss ended. I was present for the game, and I think it should be looked into, but I think Shows handled it the way he should have.

Here is what happened: With Ole Miss leading by 3 with about 7 seconds left, Alabama missed at 3-pt. attempts. Ole Miss got the rebound, and Alabama immediately began trying to foul. A foul should have been called with about 4 seconds left, but officials Antinio Petty and Mike Nance failed to do so(Shows was not in position to make the foul call). Then, the clock malfunctioned with 2.5 seconds left. It just stopped. Shows reviewed the tape and since no foul had been called(even though one should have been called), he said the game was over. Alabama coach Mark Gottfried was pretty hot about it. It was a bad way to end the game.

Sorry about the length.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Maybe we should put together a whole show of Shows' calls.

Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mark Padgett]Maybe we should put together a whole show of Shows' calls.

I can see it now: "The Doug Shows Show"
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

yet another malfunction in a PTS game. A lot of them this season. The D1 game I attended Saturday had a clock stoppage of about 10 seconds that went unnoticed.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I had a partner who experienced a stoppage during a game, but it had nothing to do with the clock. Boy, did it make him Mr. Crankypants - in more ways than one.

Yeah, I know - TMI.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Johnson
[ Ole Miss got the rebound, and Alabama immediately began trying to foul. A foul should have been called with about 4 seconds left, but officials Antinio Petty and Mike Nance failed to do so(Shows was not in position to make the foul call).
Are you saying since Alabama was TRYING to foul that one should've been called? Hunter, can I ask what qualifies you to know when and what should've been a foul? Just the reader's digest version of your officiating resume? 5 years HS, JUCO, 30 D1 games under your belt? Do you own a RULEBOOK? I must be getting old in my age, because I'm getting more defensive with idiot fans like this Hunter Johnson.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Are you saying since Alabama was TRYING to foul that one should've been called? Hunter, can I ask what qualifies you to know when and what should've been a foul? Just the reader's digest version of your officiating resume? 5 years HS, JUCO, 30 D1 games under your belt? Do you own a RULEBOOK? I must be getting old in my age, because I'm getting more defensive with idiot fans like this Hunter Johnson.

Joe,

I have been officiating HS basketball for one year. So, I guess I am not that qualified to know when a foul should be called. However, Alabama was obviously attempting to foul. In my opinion, a foul should have been called.

I try very hard to maintain my objectivity when posting on this board, and I feel as though I do a decent job of this. I feel as though I have a pretty good knowledge of the game of basketball. I never even considered officiating until guys like Doug Shows, Tony Greene, Tom Lopes, and Doug Sirmons told me that it was something I would be good at. While my post may not have been all that objective, I don't feel as though I deserved to be called an "idiot fan." All I did was post my opinion of the way the game was called. Apparently, SEC Head of Officiating Gerald Boudreaux thinks it should have been handled a little differently too.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Please do not say anything bad about Douggie or you might get hosed from this site or get it locked, he is the best in the world and as M c Hammer said You cant thouh this...............
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:50pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondregionbug
Please do not say anything bad about Douggie or you might get hosed from this site or get it locked, he is the best in the world and as M c Hammer said You cant thouh this...............
Doug Shows is a direct decendent of Abe Lincoln. He refs in the SEC to get revenge against the Confederecy.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Doug Shows is a direct decendent of Abe Lincoln. He refs in the SEC to get revenge against the Confederecy.
You shoulda used about 14 smilies. The sad part is that Bugs might actually believe you.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondregionbug
[sarcasm]
Yeah, 'cause saying someone missed a foul call is the exact same thing as saying he hates a given school.[/sarcasm]
Okay, now that I've turned the sarcasm off....
Here's the difference.
Saying they missed a call is a critique.
Saying he hates a school is slander.