The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:34am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
. I've always been instructed that if you're not sure, you gotta count it. It looked to me like nobody was sure and they guessed. And if you're not sure, why not reward the great play so you can have a great story?
Why pick one side over another? That makes zero sense to me.

You do what these guys did. Get as much collective input as possible and then make the call based on that input. Without being able to go to the monitor, that's about the best you can do. Somehow though imo, I think that the input should never include something like "We just gotta count it because that that was a great shot and we'll have a great story."
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
I didn't see any footage of the referees making the call.
Or, is the assumption that, because they were caucusing, that they did not have a definitive 'no shot' amongst'em?

Surely, with 1.7 on the clock, they were prepared.

If you look at the OP video, at the 40-36 second mark (the replay), you can see what appears to be the opposite side official at the bottom of the screen waiving off the basket.
__________________
I know God would never give me more than I could handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
At first look, I thought he got it off. After 10 more looks I didn't change my mind. I've always been instructed that if you're not sure, you gotta count it. It looked to me like nobody was sure and they guessed. And if you're not sure, why not reward the great play so you can have a great story?
With that logic why don't they ref nude?..........it would be a great story
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 208
Why is the lead/new trail so wide?

He moves up the sideline (far side of the court).
How can he see release and clock from there?
I guess he could see player and clock on green's basket.

Is it safe to assume he would have the responsibility to call a white shot?

ps. all my posts have no knowledge of 3 person mechanics.

Last edited by ca_rumperee; Tue Mar 04, 2008 at 11:57am.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Maybe we can generate 15 pages hounding these officials, making assumptions (ie "they guessed"), and second guessing these guys, who got assigned a state final game, on a play they had to decide on the spot without benefit of instant replay repeated over and over again in slow motion.
Well, sure, why not? Sounds like more fun than calling each other misogynists, fanboys, Donaghys, bus-runners, etc. Let's gang up on a couple of random refs who aren't here to defend themselves. Yup, yup, yup.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why pick one side over another? That makes zero sense to me.
You do what these guys did. Get as much collective input as possible and then make the call based on that input. Without being able to go to the monitor, that's about the best you can do. Somehow though imo, I think that the input should never include something like "We just gotta count it because that that was a great shot and we'll have a great story."
For someone who knows the rules as well as you do, that's a surprising response. Directly from the book:
"When the evidence for counting or not counting the goal is equal, the referee shall rule that the goal counts."
__________________
"Never mistake activity for achievement."
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Well, sure, why not? Sounds like more fun than calling each other misogynists, fanboys, Donaghys, bus-runners, etc. Let's gang up on a couple of random refs who aren't here to defend themselves. Yup, yup, yup.
I'm sure a member of the Irish Defense League will come by soon enough to arrange for your re-education sessions.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
I have looked at that thing 20 times and that is a hard one! My apologies to the referees who have to endure the lashing they are going to take from the Spartanburg fans.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
For someone who knows the rules as well as you do, that's a surprising response. Directly from the book:
"When the evidence for counting or not counting the goal is equal, the referee shall rule that the goal counts."
That reference has little or nothing to do with the play that took place. The official got together because not only did the play decide the state finals title, they wanted to be sure someone else did not have another angle. And what evidence do you have that they were not sure the goal should not have counted. They got together and made a decision. I must be missing something here.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:22pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I must be missing something here.
Yup. The ability to read minds over the internet and across time.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
For someone who knows the rules as well as you do, that's a surprising response. Directly from the book:
"When the evidence for counting or not counting the goal is equal, the referee shall rule that the goal counts."
I'm going to assume some things, and we all know what that means, they huddled and decided that it wasn't good. I know what you're saying, I just don't think they all went Switzerland and would say what the heck, give it to them.

I'm probably wrong, but it's either a good or not good call based on what they saw and collectively decided. Can you imagine the comment, "We couldn't decide either way, so we gave them the basket".

Yet, as you stated it is in the 'good book'.

Tough, tough, tough call.

I still say from the video, it wasn't good.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
This looks like the same angle of the play but clearly shows the ball in the air before the LED lights come on. Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwkbjxUR1DE
Thanks for the youtube link, it's the first I've actually been able to see the play.

It's about as close as close can get - my impression of the video is that the shot probably was off in time, but no way to tell for sure due to the quality of video.

Those are outstanding officials that got that game (biggest class boys championship gets the "highest rated" around here), and I'm sure they made the call based on all the evidence they had.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:42pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
That reference has little or nothing to do with the play that took place. The official got together because not only did the play decide the state finals title, they wanted to be sure someone else did not have another angle. And what evidence do you have that they were not sure the goal should not have counted. They got together and made a decision. I must be missing something here.
Put me down for this one too. Saves me writing out a response.

Thanks, Jeff.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 162
Yah he got it off for sure. But real time tough call. I wonder what the first signal was
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 12:56pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Yah he got it off for sure. But real time tough call. I wonder what the first signal was
I find this funny. You say "for sure," yet a good number of those who have seen the video say otherwise. If people can't agree after looking at the same replay, how in the hell can we second guess the guys on the court at the time?

BTW, I recognize that you aren't second guessing them, lp.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Final Final Final List of Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules BillyMac Basketball 1 Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:23am
You make the call BayouUmp Baseball 53 Tue Jul 20, 2004 04:44pm
Did I make the right call? Time_Blue Softball 11 Wed Apr 21, 2004 02:03pm
Make the call db Softball 5 Mon Apr 16, 2001 02:55pm
What call would you make? Gre144 Baseball 1 Tue Mar 20, 2001 10:31pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1