The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   SC 4A Final - you make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42441-sc-4a-final-you-make-call.html)

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
. I've always been instructed that if you're not sure, you gotta count it. It looked to me like nobody was sure and they guessed. And if you're not sure, why not reward the great play so you can have a great story? :)

Why pick one side over another? That makes zero sense to me.

You do what these guys did. Get as much collective input as possible and then make the call based on that input. Without being able to go to the monitor, that's about the best you can do. Somehow though imo, I think that the input should never include something like "We just gotta count it because that that was a great shot and we'll have a great story.":rolleyes:

tmp44 Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
I didn't see any footage of the referees making the call.
Or, is the assumption that, because they were caucusing, that they did not have a definitive 'no shot' amongst'em?

Surely, with 1.7 on the clock, they were prepared.

If you look at the OP video, at the 40-36 second mark (the replay), you can see what appears to be the opposite side official at the bottom of the screen waiving off the basket.

fullor30 Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:38am

Quote:

At first look, I thought he got it off. After 10 more looks I didn't change my mind. I've always been instructed that if you're not sure, you gotta count it. It looked to me like nobody was sure and they guessed. And if you're not sure, why not reward the great play so you can have a great story? :)

With that logic why don't they ref nude?..........it would be a great story:D

ca_rumperee Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:50am

Why is the lead/new trail so wide?

He moves up the sideline (far side of the court).
How can he see release and clock from there?
I guess he could see player and clock on green's basket.

Is it safe to assume he would have the responsibility to call a white shot?

ps. all my posts have no knowledge of 3 person mechanics.

rainmaker Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Maybe we can generate 15 pages hounding these officials, making assumptions (ie "they guessed"), and second guessing these guys, who got assigned a state final game, on a play they had to decide on the spot without benefit of instant replay repeated over and over again in slow motion.

Well, sure, why not? Sounds like more fun than calling each other misogynists, fanboys, Donaghys, bus-runners, etc. Let's gang up on a couple of random refs who aren't here to defend themselves. Yup, yup, yup.

socalreff Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Why pick one side over another? That makes zero sense to me.
You do what these guys did. Get as much collective input as possible and then make the call based on that input. Without being able to go to the monitor, that's about the best you can do. Somehow though imo, I think that the input should never include something like "We just gotta count it because that that was a great shot and we'll have a great story.":rolleyes:

For someone who knows the rules as well as you do, that's a surprising response. Directly from the book:
"When the evidence for counting or not counting the goal is equal, the referee shall rule that the goal counts."

Dan_ref Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Well, sure, why not? Sounds like more fun than calling each other misogynists, fanboys, Donaghys, bus-runners, etc. Let's gang up on a couple of random refs who aren't here to defend themselves. Yup, yup, yup.

I'm sure a member of the Irish Defense League will come by soon enough to arrange for your re-education sessions.

btaylor64 Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:17pm

I have looked at that thing 20 times and that is a hard one! My apologies to the referees who have to endure the lashing they are going to take from the Spartanburg fans.

JRutledge Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:19pm

Quote:

For someone who knows the rules as well as you do, that's a surprising response. Directly from the book:
"When the evidence for counting or not counting the goal is equal, the referee shall rule that the goal counts."

That reference has little or nothing to do with the play that took place. The official got together because not only did the play decide the state finals title, they wanted to be sure someone else did not have another angle. And what evidence do you have that they were not sure the goal should not have counted. They got together and made a decision. I must be missing something here.

Peace

Adam Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I must be missing something here.

Yup. The ability to read minds over the internet and across time.

fullor30 Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:32pm

Quote:

I'm going to assume some things, and we all know what that means, they huddled and decided that it wasn't good. I know what you're saying, I just don't think they all went Switzerland and would say what the heck, give it to them.

I'm probably wrong, but it's either a good or not good call based on what they saw and collectively decided. Can you imagine the comment, "We couldn't decide either way, so we gave them the basket".

Yet, as you stated it is in the 'good book'.

Tough, tough, tough call.

I still say from the video, it wasn't good.

jdw3018 Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
This looks like the same angle of the play but clearly shows the ball in the air before the LED lights come on. Take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwkbjxUR1DE

Thanks for the youtube link, it's the first I've actually been able to see the play.

It's about as close as close can get - my impression of the video is that the shot probably was off in time, but no way to tell for sure due to the quality of video.

Those are outstanding officials that got that game (biggest class boys championship gets the "highest rated" around here), and I'm sure they made the call based on all the evidence they had.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
That reference has little or nothing to do with the play that took place. The official got together because not only did the play decide the state finals title, they wanted to be sure someone else did not have another angle. And what evidence do you have that they were not sure the goal should not have counted. They got together and made a decision. I must be missing something here.

Put me down for this one too. Saves me writing out a response.

Thanks, Jeff.

lpbreeze Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:52pm

Yah he got it off for sure. But real time tough call. I wonder what the first signal was

Adam Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze
Yah he got it off for sure. But real time tough call. I wonder what the first signal was

I find this funny. You say "for sure," yet a good number of those who have seen the video say otherwise. If people can't agree after looking at the same replay, how in the hell can we second guess the guys on the court at the time?

BTW, I recognize that you aren't second guessing them, lp.