The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   SC 4A Final - you make the call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42441-sc-4a-final-you-make-call.html)

jdw3018 Wed Mar 05, 2008 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
I suppose thats not that bad. Do you have to work a double every night? We don't get milage in Indiana unless you assigned to work the tourney.

Yep, unless there's a strange occurence, all Varsity games here are played G/B doubleheader, same crew works both games.

On the strange single-game night, the fee is $44, but still $.35/mile on top of that.

RookieDude Wed Mar 05, 2008 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad
Maybe you're just not as good as me :)

Fair enough...;)

Quote:

If this play is *THAT* close, why wouldn't you award the miracle basket and play at the end of the game? We don't know the discussion of the officials though -- maybe they didn't think it was *THAT* close...

If you are asking me why I wouldn't award the "miracle" basket...well, maybe I would. I would have to be there to make that determination...rather than watching a few blurry video clips.

Also, maybe the crew didn't want to (or have information to) overturn the official that originally WAVED the basket off. As you said, we don't know the discussion of the other officials.

I guess that's why we make the big bucks....$50 a game for Regional games here in my part of WA...and .48 cents a mile travel both ways. $10 meal allowance if over 75 miles...and $50 lodging if over 125 miles. (One official I worked with, in a Regional, got his motel paid for even though it was probably over $50 a night)

Can't remember what State pays...didn't go this year...maybe zebraman can help...he went to Yakima, WA this year for the State tournament.

zebraman Wed Mar 05, 2008 07:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude
Can't remember what State pays...didn't go this year...maybe zebraman can help...he went to Yakima, WA this year for the State tournament.

A whopping $51.00 per game. However, each official invited to a HS state tournament in Washington State works all four days and ends up working seven games. IRS rate on mileage and a hotel room while you're there, plus $20.00 per day for food.

w_sohl Wed Mar 05, 2008 07:14pm

California-Central Section

Regular Season
Varsity: $63 2-man/$48 3-man
Underclass: $44

There are 3 games a night and there will be 3 officials assigned to the site each working two games
Freshman: O1 and O2
JV: O1 and O3
Varsity: O2 and O3

Playoffs
Valley Tournament (all 3-man)
1st Round: $48
2nd Round: $95
3rd Round and Championship: $95 + milage to furthest traveling official

3rd Round and Championship use mixed crews from the three local associations. Fresno, Bakersfield and the Central Valley (Visalia area)

State Playoffs
All Rounds: $60 something, not sure about milage

Brad Wed Mar 05, 2008 09:12pm

Quote:

If you are asking me why I wouldn't award the "miracle" basket...well, maybe I would. I would have to be there to make that determination...rather than watching a few blurry video clips.

Yeah - I didn't mean "you" in the personal sense... More like "you" in the "all of us officials" sense... i.e. Why wouldn't *we* award the basket?

Quote:

Also, maybe the crew didn't want to (or have information to) overturn the official that originally WAVED the basket off. As you said, we don't know the discussion of the other officials.

That is true and might be the best point of this thread. If the official with the last-second shot waved off the basket, I can see how the other officials wouldn't be able to come in real-time and say definitely that the ball had been released before the horn. I think if that official had signaled basket good it would have stood as well. On a play that close no official is going to overturn the ruling of the official who has the last second shot responsibility.

BillyMac Wed Mar 05, 2008 09:50pm

Connecticut Big Bucks ...

I just received a check for $98.35 for a conference (not state) final. No mileage, 42 mile round trip.

fullor30 Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am just going to take a guess, but they got well over $60 for that game. It was a State Championship game, not your local conference game. :D

Peace

Goes to show you how many state finals I've done.

I was thinking the other day as I finished two intramural games at the local middle school five minutes from my house which took 1:05 for 55.00 bucks that I get the princely sum of 53 large ones for a varsity game that I may have to drive an hour to and arrive an hour before tipoff for an hour and thirty minute game.

That said, give me the varsity game anyday. Psst, don't tell them, I'd probably do it for gratis.

bgtg19 Thu Mar 06, 2008 04:16pm

Quote:

If the official with the last-second shot waved off the basket, I can see how the other officials wouldn't be able to come in real-time and say definitely that the ball had been released before the horn. I think if that official had signaled basket good it would have stood as well. On a play that close no official is going to overturn the ruling of the official who has the last second shot responsibility.

Exactly. This call came down to one person -- the official with the last shot responsibility. They all got together after the fact (which I think was wise; it's a state championship game, after all) and the calling official probably said "I've got the shot coming after the horn. Does anyone know differently?" And, with as close as we all acknowledge that it was, one way or the other, neither of the officials without primary responsibility for that shot are going to say they know for sure anything different than what the calling official had.

It was just real, real close and the calling official made his best judgment at the time. I can live with that. And so should everyone else. Even the losing team's fans.

Mark Dexter Thu Mar 06, 2008 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larks

The most disturbing part, IMO:

Two Spartanburg lawmakers on Tuesday filed legislation that could help resolve future disputes.

House Speaker Pro Tem Doug Smith and Rep. Harold Mitchell's bill would require the South Carolina High School League to use instant replay to resolve disputed plays in football and basketball playoff games.

BillyMac Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10pm

Knight Take Bishop ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
The most disturbing part, two Spartanburg lawmakers on Tuesday filed legislation that could help resolve future disputes. House Speaker Pro Tem Doug Smith and Rep. Harold Mitchell's bill would require the South Carolina High School League to use instant replay to resolve disputed plays in football and basketball playoff g ames.

This legislation is discriminating. How about instant replay at the South Carolina high school chess championship. Did the player really take his finger off the knight to complete his move?

Raymond Mon Jun 02, 2008 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalreff
...why not reward the great play so you can have a great story? :)

Guess it turned out to be a great story anyway. It is the subject of a ESPN segment that's been running for the last couple of days. I missed the first couple minutes of the story but apparently one of the assistant coaches for the team was one of the 9 firefighters who lost their lives in the that big fire in South Carolina last year.

JRutledge Mon Jun 02, 2008 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Guess it turned out to be a great story anyway. It is the subject of a ESPN segment that's been running for the last couple of days. I missed the first couple minutes of the story but apparently one of the assistant coaches for the team was one of the 9 firefighters who lost their lives in the that big fire in South Carolina last year.

I also so the same story and they showed the entire play in High-Definition. There was a claim that there was a lane-violation and it was clear that there was not a violation. But the video which was much clearer did not show one way or the other the whether the shot was good.

But has BNR said this was a wonderful story about the coach and these kids. It even makes it worth it if we cannot tell for sure who won the game.

Peace

rockchalk jhawk Mon Jun 02, 2008 03:39pm

I also caught the ESPN segment a few minutes in, and the more I watched, the more I was thinking that this was going to end up involving the championship game related in this thread. I was glad to see they focused on the story, and not on whether the call was right or wrong. I think they even called it 'too close to call' in the segment. either way, even if you think the call was kicked, it's a good warm fuzzy note to put this one to bed on.

CoachP Tue Jun 03, 2008 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
There was a claim that there was a lane-violation and it was clear that there was not a violation.
Peace

I called it in post # 56 back in March. If you freeze it at 1:06/1:05 ish marks, it is CLEAR that white violated....even in a fuzzy youtube video.

Funny though, he over ran the rebound and was nowhere near involved in the play.

JRutledge Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP
I called it in post # 56 back in March. If you freeze it at 1:06/1:05 ish marks, it is CLEAR that white violated....even in a fuzzy youtube video.

Funny though, he over ran the rebound and was nowhere near involved in the play.

The YouTube videos were on the other end of the court. The ESPN story showed the video from under the basket where the FT was shown. You can see the line clearer and the defender leg that could have violated was not near the line. There is no way that was a violation. Sorry Coach, I call that play often and it was not close when you slow down the video. And if you have to slow down the video, then it is not a violation. Those are things you want to make sure are obvious.

Peace