LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 10:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee
... Cheers
Duane
Duane,
From July to December one of our locals was in Melbourne and working some hoops while his wife was working a real job.
He had glowing comments about your country.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Yes Duane, there is a Fiba casebook dated 2004 available in NZ so it must have been available in Oz, I have one.
cheers.........Nick
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

It seems that even if there was something in the book in the past, it's rarely called. That is why NFHS changed their ruling to a violation for gaining an advantage on going off the court to avoid a screen. Now you do see it called more frequently. Until that time I had only seen it called once.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 11:38am
MABO Member

Quote:
Oh, as an aisde, a few people made mention that this is mentioned "in the casebook", there is NO casebook for FIBA, so I assume you are talking NFHS/NCAA?
Duane I was assigned a casebook with my rule book, mechanics, equipment,interpretations, etc. So it must be somewhere out there.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Yup, but there's no rule that requires the players to keep their hands within the various planes around their lane spaces; yet I've seen officials warn the players to stay "straight up" or "within your lanes."
There is, somewhere, either in the interpetations or the rules or in some training material I have. I don't know
I can't find where it's written right now, how ever, there are two types of lines. Lines who act like a wall and lines with air above them.
When you're standing at a FT the line around you is a wall, you're not allowed to cross it before the shooter has released the ball.
I'll try and find it for you, but I'm absolutley sure I'm right about this one.

Quote:
Yes Duane, there is a Fiba casebook dated 2004 available in NZ so it must have been available in Oz, I have one.
cheers.........Nick
There is, according to fiba.com, no official casebook for FIBA.
How ever I belive that some local fiba-associations have produced own casebooks. But there is no world-wide fiba casebook.
from FIBA.com
Quote:
: Where can I get a FIBA Casebook?

There is no FIBA Casebook. FIBA does not publish casebooks.
I think that this is (like I sad) way to vauge for me to call it.
Even though the game should be played inbounds, I can't go and T a player just becuse I say that this is the rule and he then must listen. That'll just turn the players against you (since they'll think that you're making up the rules).
I don't know, but I don't like the idea of a phantom or ghost rule wich some call and some don't, it seams that nobody has some real and plain text of it, and until I get it. I won't call this...
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree that a player intentionally leaving the boundaries of the court in order to gain an advantage could be a technical foul. I have called such a situation only once (in 20 years of refereeing), when a player ran around the outside of the court to avoid a defensive player.

However looking at the 2006 FIBA rules, I can't find anything that specifically mentions it. The best I could come up with was:

38.1.2 Each team shall do its best to secure victory, but this must be done in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play.

This seems to me to be a provision that makes "cheating" a technical foul, even if there isn't a specific mention of it elsewhere in the rules.

Oh, as an aisde, a few people made mention that this is mentioned "in the casebook", there is NO casebook for FIBA, so I assume you are talking NFHS/NCAA?

Cheers

Duane
I have in front of me something called:

Fiba Official Basketball Rules World Edition Casebook - 2006 Published by Fiba, 80 pages long. I will try and find an internet link to the book for you.

Update: I found a link to a PDF file. It says its 2004 casebook but appears the same as 2006 version I have, Article 38-5 is the same, good luck with the download:
http://zone1officials.homestead.com/..._Case_Book.pdf

Last edited by canuckref; Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 03:49pm.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckref
I have in front of me something called:

Fiba Official Basketball Rules World Edition Casebook - 2006 Published by Fiba, 80 pages long. I will try and find an internet link to the book for you.

Update: I found a link to a PDF file. It says its 2004 casebook but appears the same as 2006 version I have, Article 38-5 is the same, good luck with the download:
http://zone1officials.homestead.com/..._Case_Book.pdf
Q: Where can I get a FIBA Casebook?
There is no FIBA Casebook. FIBA does not publish casebooks.

I believe this is a Canadian thing, which has never been officially approved by FIBA. I don't know why. There are some rule interpretations each year which can be found on FIBA.com, but no casebook.

Actually 38-5 seems to be what we were looking for; on the other hand, the wording in 38-7 seems to recall the rule I remember was in the rule book (and disappeared).
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Weird, this really looks like an official world wide casebook, just read the introduction.
And cases 38-5 and 38-7 specificly talks about what we have mentioned...
Well then I guess I'll call it if I ever see it again...
Thanks for the link, this one will be usefull!
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Casebook

I definately have a casebook in ONtario

We switched rules 2 years ago and we all got a Printed Rule Book and Casebook in the same format and same print and looks very official to me. It has the FIBA logo on it which means it would be a FIBA publication and not a FIBA Americas only. Plus like somebody mentioned the second page in it says that it was produced by FredHorgan from Fiba Americas FOR FIBA.

That is one thing I don't like about FIBA... All the zones do their own thing kinda. Like for example Training videos are produced only by FIBA Europe for their own officials...they should make everything international.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

The casebook refers to the 2004 rules. We are now using the 2006 rules which does not have reference to purposely running out of bounds. If I have this situation I would stop the game and issue a warning. If it is repeated I would just call a violation and give the ball to the opposition.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK
The casebook refers to the 2004 rules. We are now using the 2006 rules which does not have reference to purposely running out of bounds. If I have this situation I would stop the game and issue a warning. If it is repeated I would just call a violation and give the ball to the opposition.
Case 38-5 is the same in both the 2004 and 2006 FIBA written casebooks I have
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's no provision in FIBA rules to stop the game in order to issue a warning, if the ball is live and the clock is running. You can stop the clock if a player of the scoring team interferes with the ball before an opponent can get it and issue a warning for delay of game, but here the ball is dead. You can stop a throw-in when a defender breaks the wall.

Moreover there's no "going OOB violation": it's either a T or a warning at the next dead ball. Unfortunately, as I've already said, this case disappeared from the rule book, I believe before 2004.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

CANUCKREF
Fiba casebook ruling 38.5 refers to rule 38.5 in the rules, but if you check the latest 2006 official Fiba rulebook there is no such thing as rule 38.5

EG-ITALY
Article 46.13 states that the referee has the power to make any decisions on any point not specifically covered by these rules.

cheers- Nick
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 03:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
EG-ITALY
Article 46.13 states that the referee has the power to make any decisions on any point not specifically covered by these rules.
You can't use 46.13 to invent a new kind of violation: they are specifically covered by the rules.

Ciao
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Red face FIBA Casebook

As per several of the replies here (and the FIBA website), there is no FIBA casebook there are, however, casebooks published by FIBA member states (Canada and NZ to name 2 that I am aware of).

EG-Italy.....you absolutely can use 46.13 to invent a new type of violation. That is the specific intent of the this provision, so that the referee can make a judgement on anything that is not specifically covered in the rules - whether it be a violation, foul etc. Otherwise, what's the point of this rule?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee