The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Just for the record, we are taught in our association to not call 3 seconds, until the "camper" receives the ball. Unless there is some other obvious advantage, such as a screen for another shooter. It seems to work, since throughout our area, we seldom need to call 3 seconds at JV or above.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think i average one 3 sec. call about once every two years.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
In our association, we've talked about the three second call and how often it should be called. Msot say you should call it even less than a T.
I think everyone knows that this is my position.

In all of my games this season, I had a total of 26 technical fouls and 1 three-second violation which I called.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

WOW, 26 T's ! I bet the coaches have a nick name for you,"Whack" You are the inforcer.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talk to them in the paint, if they dont move hit them with the three. You dont need cheap 3 second calls but a solid 3 second call cleans up the play immensely. it stops the big guys from being there and banging. If they have to move, they bang less, or it is easier to see what happens. You gotta call it.

I disagree that you call it when the camper gets the ball because by rule the person with the ball can take it to the basket. If the coach knows the rule you are burying yourself. If youre gonna call this the ball has got to be in the air prior to the catch on the pass. It can be an advantage disadvantage thing but I'll bet most of my 3 second calls are early in the game. I tell them get out and if they dont move I hit them, and tell them I told you to get out. They get the message!

to simply state that 3 seconds should not be called is wrong, which rule will we choose to ignore next BI ot GT because we dont like it?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2002, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Kelvin. Now days the players understand to keep moving. I may average one or two times a game telling a player to move/clear. And even then they may have moved without me telling them. I think the problem comes in when the off. player sets in the paint, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005, and the defender feels the presure and pushes the off. player, beep, foul on the defender. In this situation you need a 3sec. call or a no call on the def. This is a good time to call the 3sec. if you say clear and they don't clear.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

In all of my games this season, I had a total of 26 technical fouls and 1 three-second violation which I called.

I think you definitely have the idea down.

WOW, 26 T's ! I bet the coaches have a nick name for you,"Whack" You are the inforcer.

Sounds like a great new handle

This is a good time to call the 3 sec. if you say clear and they don't clear.

I failed to mention that I did this all 4 times but the big guy never moved.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I am in AWE! 26 T's in one season? I don't think I have that many in 10 years...

Someone once told me that if you find yourself starting a count on every offensive player that steps through the paint, you really are missing the best part of the basketball game.

Preventive officiating - keep talking to the players. If they don't listen, pop the 3 second violation early in the game. Don't wait till 58 seconds in the 4th quarter to call the first one (unless there's smoke from the campfire and the teepee shows signs of water damage!)
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Just for the record, we are taught in our association to not call 3 seconds, until the "camper" receives the ball. Unless there is some other obvious advantage, such as a screen for another shooter. It seems to work, since throughout our area, we seldom need to call 3 seconds at JV or above.
Maybe you seldom call it because you are told not to call it :-)
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 02:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

What - only 26 in one season. That's about one quarter's worth for me. What's the matter, is your arm tired?
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Just for the record, we are taught in our association to not call 3 seconds, until the "camper" receives the ball.
If s/he has been in the key more than 3 seconds before s/he receives the ball, you can call it anytime thereafter. You don't have to give him/her allowances for shooting

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
Maybe you seldom call it because you are told not to call it :-)
I said, "Seldom NEED to call it"

[Edited by rainmaker on Mar 1st, 2002 at 04:23 AM]