Thread: mental dilemma!
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Certain rules have caused me mental anguish over the years. The topic I posed a couple months ago about the kid going to sleep in the paint on defense and getting plowed out from the side was one one such rule(anybody remember the one I'm referring to?) Another one that bothers me is the 3 second rule. Of couse the purpose of the rule is to keep the jolly green giant from setting up camp under the rim and taking the overhead lob to the basket. But what do you do in the case of the little bitty guy who is just lost and "falls asleep" in the paint on offense? He hasn't had a ball passed to him all game and you're sure it ain't gonna happen the rest of the game either. Do you penalize him for being there 3 seconds and give the ball to the other team or just warn him and let it go? If you don't call it, you are sort of penalizing the other team by not calling it thus giving them the ball. It is kind of a case of "the letter of the law" versus "the spirit of the law." How do you folks feel about this?