Thread: mental dilemma!
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

You need to keep advantage/disadvantage in mind.

For instance, imagine you have the point just in the front court, with his back to the basket, trying to beat his man one-on-one. Down in the low post, on the weak side, you have one (not so bright) player camped just inside the key. Although technically there could be a three second call, the player/team is not gaining any advantage by having him there.

However, as soon as the ball handler faces the basket, passes towards the key, or faces up for the shot - three seconds as the player in the key now has gained an advantage.

I'm sure Mark Snr will disagree with my intepretation here - and go to great length to explain that basketball is not soccer, and that we should call this violation immediately. My only response, I am an Australian FIBA referee - and this is how we have been instructed to call this situation in Australia.

Having said all that - I don't believe size makes any difference. Ref the big guy the same as the little guy. I like to try and talk them out of the key as much as possible - especially at lower age/skill levels.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee