The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   D1 Camp (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42086-d1-camp.html)

MOofficial Thu Feb 21, 2008 01:59pm

D1 Camp

I need some advise. I recently got invited to a D1 camp in the midwest. Some of the clinicians will be Gerry Pollard, Steve Welmer, Brad Ferrie and other March madness officials along with many Big XII officials.

The camp is $550 to go to. Here is the problem. This is my 3rd year officiating and I am 20 years old. I have been in college basketball for 1 year working the NAIA D2 level. Is it worth my time to go and see where I stand up or would I just be spinning my wheels going? Come on vets, give me some good advise

rockyroad Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:12pm

A question back for you: Why would you NOT go?

If you are thinking you're too young - don't. You might not get hired to work a D-I conference, but there will be people there who can get you into D-II or III conferences, and you will put yourself on some D-I assignors "radars"...how is that a bad thing?

Worried about going and screwing up? We all worry about that. The benefit for you is that you're young! :) They expect that from the young ones and are more willing to work with/help you move along...

Worried about the $$$...can't help you there. That's an expensive camp - but they pretty much all are these days.

Go! Have fun! Learn! Get your name and face out there...

Scrapper1 Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
You might not get hired to work a D-I conference, but there will be people there who can get you into D-II or III conferences, and you will put yourself on some D-I assignors "radars"...how is that a bad thing?

I agree completely with Rocky. If you can spare the money, now is the time to get your face in front of the assignors who can move you along.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get "invited"? Was it a blanket email to 200 guys? Or did someone from the camp contact you directly? The answer to those questions may give some indication of your prospects at the camp.

Refneck Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:20pm

I think it's worth it just to learn the proper pants adjustment procedures from Welmer. :)

MOofficial Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:20pm

Coordinators from other college conferences(DII, NAIA, JUCO) in the mid west selected the guys from there conference. They sent out the first email giving a little detail and asked if you were interested in the camp, after that they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list. They have a waiting list to get in so it is basically a yes or no within the next week.

Raymond Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial
Coordinators from other college conferences(DII, NAIA, JUCO) in the mid west selected the guys from there conference. They sent out the first email giving a little detail and asked if you were interested in the camp, after that they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list. They have a waiting list to get in so it is basically a yes or no within the next week.

At your age, if you can afford it, a definite "YES".

ref2coach Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:29pm

[QUOTE=after that they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list. They have a waiting list to get in so it is basically a yes or no within the next week.[/QUOTE]

Based on the fact that it took a recommendation to get on the first list and then there was a second round of recommending to get the actual invite you should accept the fact that one or more assignors feel you are "ready" to gain from the "D1 Camp" experience.

Find the Money and go.

WhistlesAndStripes Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:41pm

I think we should take up a collection to help this young lad out.

MOofficial Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:47pm

I'm a college student so those student loans will come in handy for this :)

Raymond Thu Feb 21, 2008 02:49pm

Quote:

Shoot, I'll sponsor you if we can work out a written agreement to get a return on my investmest.

rgncjn Thu Feb 21, 2008 05:16pm

I am also 20... I am going to a D1 camp this summer. I was given the same advice others are giving on this forum. As long as you can afford to go, there is really no reason to stay at home.

I will gladly accept any sponsors... :D

Larks Thu Feb 21, 2008 05:35pm

Quote:

I need some advise. I recently got invited to a D1 camp in the midwest. Some of the clinicians will be Gerry Pollard, Steve Welmer, Brad Ferrie and other March madness officials along with many Big XII officials.

The camp is $550 to go to. Here is the problem. This is my 3rd year officiating and I am 20 years old. I have been in college basketball for 1 year working the NAIA D2 level. Is it worth my time to go and see where I stand up or would I just be spinning my wheels going? Come on vets, give me some good advise

Dale Kelley's camp? Its a great experience. Advice - Bring pants. It says shorts are ok but everyone there treats this camp like a job interview. Look your best and thank everyone for their feedback whether you like it or not. Do not argue any points with any clinicians. If they give you an adjustment they want you to make, make it immediately. Ie - where you stand on the court in a certain situation.

I would say go. At 20 you are investing in getting on their radar. You may have to go several times to get picked up so, the sooner you get started the better.

MadCityRef Thu Feb 21, 2008 07:39pm

Quote:

The financial aid office should have short-term loans available. I used those a few times when I was in school.

Go go go!

TRef21 Fri Feb 22, 2008 01:38am

Quote:

Go dude!!!
Just go out and call your game.. Dont change anything..

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 22, 2008 09:01am

Quote:

they took everyone that was interested and selected the top people form that list.
And you had to ask us if you should go?!?! GO!! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
Dont change anything..

Except what they tell you to change. As someone else said, you'll be given a lot of comments/critiques. Incorporate as many of them as you can while you're still at the camp. If you really hate them, you can also stop using them when you get home. But you want to show that you are willing to listen, learn and adapt.

Good luck.