Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Ask "who is the head coach?".

Go with the person that raises his/her hand.

It ain't rocket science.
I agree...I even covered that dauting task in MSG #19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
...Me personally, I ask "Who's the boss tonight?"...
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
This is what I said: who presents him/herself as such when the crew comes over for pre-game greeting. If someone on the staff says "HC had to step out, he/she will be right back" then common sense kicks in. At least in this part of the country.
This happened in a game last week I believe in our area. The HC designates the AC as the HC. The HC sat until things got crazy and then he was standing, yelling etc. My thing is, he should have been warned and then stuck if he didnt comply. Once he turned over the helm, it was seat belt city for him!!!!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
This happened in a game last week I believe in our area. The HC designates the AC as the HC. The HC sat until things got crazy and then he was standing, yelling etc. My thing is, he should have been warned and then stuck if he didnt comply. Once he turned over the helm, it was seat belt city for him!!!!
Based on who the coach was he should not have been warned, he should have received a T the first time he got up and addressed an official. But that's just between you, me, and anybody reading this thread....LOL
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Based on who the coach was he should not have been warned, he should have received a T the first time he got up and addressed an official. But that's just between you, me, and anybody reading this thread....LOL
If am right about who he is, you are correct!!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Our state sent out a memo last season dealing with this very issue. It's very clear, and all the coaches were reminded of it at the new rules meeting at the beginning of this season. In short, coaches are not allowed to miss the coaches/captains meeting to discuss having a baby with their wife.
That is a local issue. There are not NF rules that make that a policy that must be followed. I have no problem with that policy, if that is spelled out. My point is that to everyone else that does not have such a policy, the person that acts as the head coach is the head coach. And there is only going to be one of those individuals standing in the coaching box and calling timeouts. The only relevance the meeting has to me is to give the sportsmanship talk and have the coaches verifying if their players are legally equip. And if the head coach does not attend, they lose some credibility when they start complaining.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 12:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
And if the head coach does not attend, they lose some credibility when they start complaining.

Peace
Unless, of course, they were talking to their wife about having a baby.

Had a game once where the HC stood way off to the side when we approached his bench. I was the crew chief, so I gave the little pre-game greeting to the AC's since they were the ones who greeted our crew. After I was done the HC steps towards me and says irritatedly, "I'm the head coach!" I responded, "You didn't seem too interested in what I had to say so I spoke with your assistants instead."

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 12:56pm.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ranchman

Per The Original Question, Here In Texas I Have Had This Situation Only Twice, And Each Time I Have Notified The Score Table That The Head Coach Will Be The "assistant Coach", And I Have The Assistant Sign The Official Scorebook As The Head Coach. I Also Notify The Original Head Coach That He Will Be Treated As Bench Personnel. I Have Not Had A Problem With This Procedure So Far.

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Last edited by RANCHMAN; Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 02:13pm.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN
Per The Original Question, Here In Texas I Have Had This Situation Only Twice, And Each Time I Have Notified The Score Table That The Head Coach Will Be The "assistant Coach", And I Have The Assistant Sign The Official Scorebook As The Head Coach. I Also Notify The Original Head Coach That He Will Be Treated As Bench Personnel. I Have Not Had A Problem With This Procedure So Far.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 02:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCHMAN

Do you actually hit the "shift" key for each new word?