The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up BV High School Game last night

I had my best game of the season last night and needless to say my two partners were the best!!!! The coaches coached and the players played! The best thing was that our commissioner was in the stands and watch the whole game. He said we all did an excellent job and kept the game under control. He is looking for Tournament Officials and I am hoping I made the cut!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
...He is looking for Tournament Officials and I am hoping I made the cut!
Well, it sounds like you didn't hurt yourself.
Good luck with that.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
I had my best game of the season last night and needless to say my two partners were the best!!!! The coaches coached and the players played! The best thing was that our commissioner was in the stands and watch the whole game. He said we all did an excellent job and kept the game under control. He is looking for Tournament Officials and I am hoping I made the cut!
I had my best game of the season on Tuesday, by far, and was fortunate to be working with a couple vets, one of which is an area supervisor. That's a great combination for me, both were extremely complimentary, told me to make sure to get my post-season application in and hopefully I can get a regional game or two.

It was just a great night where things flowed, confidence grew all night long, and a couple guys I respect a lot were there to be a part of it. Lots of fun for this first-year varsity official...
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Well, it sounds like you didn't hurt yourself.
Good luck with that.
mick, he'll be on my crew tonight, IREFU2 better type a similar posting tomorrow or we're going to have big problems.

Rob, I'm thinking you were at Heritage last night? I'm sure the Boss-man wanted to see the 1st place Girls game in front of your game. One our board's up-and-coming officials worked the Girls game and I'm guessing the Boss wanted to see him work in a pressure cooker game.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
mick, he'll be on my crew tonight, IREFU2 better type a similar posting tomorrow or we're going to have big problems.

Rob, I'm thinking you were at Heritage last night? I'm sure the Boss-man wanted to see the 1st place Girls game in front of your game. One our board's up-and-coming officials worked the Girls game and I'm guessing the Boss wanted to see him work in a pressure cooker game.
Yes, they had a good game and he sat with me proir to my game and we chatted for a while. I am sure our game will just a good or even better!!! Heck, you can carry me tonight as well!!!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

what state is Heritage, etc. in?
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'll be looking forward to the report.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 01:50pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
what state is Heritage, etc. in?
It is in Virginia; the Hampton/Newport News area. I'm assuming this because I know this is where BNR lives.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 02:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I had a good HS game last night, too. The JV game went double OT, so my game started about a half hour late. Then the home team drained a 3-pointer at the buzzer to send my game to OT, as well. Visitors ended up winning by 4, but it was a very good game.

I was late to the pizza joint, though.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2007, 04:02pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I had a good HS game last night, too. The JV game went double OT, so my game started about a half hour late. Then the home team drained a 3-pointer at the buzzer to send my game to OT, as well. Visitors ended up winning by 4, but it was a very good game.

I didn't have any game(s) last night, but I took advantage of the R&R. One thing I'm envious about is the comraderie some of you get to experience. For whatever reason, the basketball officials in this part of Mississippi don't meet or come together to talk basketball. In Vegas and DC (Maryland) this was a normal occurance during the season. The football guys do meet up in this area though. There is a strip mall parking near my house where they gather for refreshments after their games.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I had two good games Friday as well . . .

9th Boys, game was a 3-pt nail-biter. Team A was up 14-0 in the first period, and let Team B work their way back into it as the game progressed. Comes down to a 3-pt try at the buzzer . . . kid from Team B takes the shot and misses, BUT the ball rebounds right back to him . . . he sets up for his second shot, HORN, he releases the ball . . . SHOT GOES IN!.. Me: "No Shot! Game Over!" Team A wins.

Varsity Boys: Home team wins by 7, but they were down by two to start the 4th Quarter. 5-6 PC and TC Fouls, lots of action, and a PACKED house. It was a lot of fun. [Bad part, losing team head coach completely lambastes us the paper. Apparently, we were the worst crew he had ever seen. I was very happy TWO of our Board members were there evaluating us that night, and they both gave us excellent marks . . . ]

Last edited by bigdogrunnin; Sun Jan 28, 2007 at 12:30pm.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
It's great to see officials honoring the age-old tradition of getting together for pizza and brownpop after a game. Maybe scarf down a few dozen wings too. There were just waaaaaay too many snussies lately, with their tofu-eating, diet coke-drinking ways, infiltrating the ranks of the true officials.

Keep up the great work, Scrappy. Our avocation desperately needs real men like you!

Kinda brings a tear to my eyes, folks.....sniff.....
Old Sun Jan 28, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Needless to say our games on Saturday afternoon was excellent as well. Needless to say again, the commissioner shows up again and watches the whole game again. There is one call that I would take and it was a jump ball BadNews called and we had a double whistle on the call. I called foul because the when I looked up, the Denbigh player had the Menchville plauer in a bear hug. But, that was the end results of the struggle for the ball. That is the only call I would take back. The Denbigh coach politely told what he saw and told me he wasnt upset or anything and I told him what I saw. It was good communication between the coach and I and the game went on. Sorry Badnews!!!!! My bad!!! Other than that, we worked the game!!! The Commissioner even said we did a good job!