The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think that matters, it is an 8th grade game. You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating.
Quote:
For one I did not say anything about me. I did not even compare the officials to me at all.

Secondly, this is from my area. Chances are that I know a little bit more about what goes on around here than you do.

There are not very many experienced officials that are working a lot of JH basketball. There are exceptions, but most officials that would regularly work varsity or college, do not have time to work JH ball. It is a numbers game. And we are in the playoff season here, even less opportunity to get experienced officials to work games. And that is why I said "You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating."
I just came across this thread, and I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but you really should've pointed out initially that you were referring to officials in your area. Your statement is actually quite offensive to probably most officials that read these forums. I'm a high school/college official, and I also work junior-high level games, and am able to adjust my game to the level-of-play at hand.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 04:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref
I just came across this thread, and I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but you really should've pointed out initially that you were referring to officials in your area.
I see you have about 19 posts total at the time of this thread. That likely means you are not aware of many of the personalities here and where they are from. The person that started this post is from my area. He lists his area in the corner of his profile and I was responding to him, not you and not everyone reading that might read this.

Quote:
Your statement is actually quite offensive to probably most officials that read these forums. I'm a high school/college official, and I also work junior-high level games, and am able to adjust my game to the level-of-play at hand.
If that is offensive to you, then that is really your problem. I was not talking to you or everyone here other than the OPer (and that is why I quoted his post…ding..ding..ding). And around here and the way most officials that work a heavy college and HS schedule, they are not working JH games. And not because I say so, because most officials have families and jobs and working JH is not their priority. And if a college or HS official messed this up, then that is worse. JH basketball is where most officials start (around here) they tend to leave it behind once they get their name out there and once the assignors and schools ask them to fill HS and even college ball. If I worked JH ball, I would not have a single night off and that is not good for my family life and the fact I do have a main source of income outside of officiating.

I guess you will just have to be offended.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 07:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
For one I did not say anything about me. I did not even compare the officials to me at all.

Secondly, this is from my area. Chances are that I know a little bit more about what goes on around here than you do.

There are not very many experienced officials that are working a lot of JH basketball. There are exceptions, but most officials that would regularly work varsity or college, do not have time to work JH ball. It is a numbers game. And we are in the playoff season here, even less opportunity to get experienced officials to work games. And that is why I said "You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating."

Quote:
I just came across this thread, and I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but you really should've pointed out initially that you were referring to officials in your area. Your statement is actually quite offensive to probably most officials that read these forums. I'm a high school/college official, and I also work junior-high level games, and am able to adjust my game to the level-of-play at hand.
Makes you wonder how such a busy guy has time to keep up with the quality of the officiating done by these inexperienced, not very knowledgeable people.

Lonesome Dove