The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Well guys as luck would have it the nasty just happened to me. I'm on the brink of the college level (if accepted) and getting the paperwork together for my application. In working my off-season program I have decided to add jumping rope into my cardiovascular routine. Low and behold in my 4th 30-second set...POP...there goes the achillies! (sp?)

I don't have conclusive results but just returned from MRI with films and it doesn't look good. I see white, then a space, then some more white. It looks like that baby is torn in 2 to me. Looks like surgery in the coming days. I find out tomorrow when I meet with a surgeon.

Have any of you had this type of injury? If so, how long did the rehab take and how long between the injury was it before you were able to take the field again?

I'm in pretty good shape and lift all the time including running. This took me by total surprise and it's really untimely especially if I get a call for a spring camp/scrimmage.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
That sucks! I am in the middle of my off season workouts too. Hope you get better quickly.

Not sure about the Achilles but for other types of injuries I've heard the acronym R.I.C.E, which means Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Stay off it, ice it every 20 minutes, keep it wrapped up with an ACE bandage or something like that, and try to keep it elevated as much as possible, preferably above the heart (lie on the floor and put your foot on a chair or something while icing). That mainly helps keep the swelling down. Not sure if that will help this type of injury, couldn't hurt the way I look at it.

Also, check this out: http://www.webmd.com/hw/foot_problems/tr1811.asp

Has some good information on it. Good luck and let us know what happens!
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Well guys as luck would have it the nasty just happened to me. I'm on the brink of the college level (if accepted) and getting the paperwork together for my application. In working my off-season program I have decided to add jumping rope into my cardiovascular routine. Low and behold in my 4th 30-second set...POP...there goes the achillies! (sp?)

I don't have conclusive results but just returned from MRI with films and it doesn't look good. I see white, then a space, then some more white. It looks like that baby is torn in 2 to me. Looks like surgery in the coming days. I find out tomorrow when I meet with a surgeon.

Have any of you had this type of injury? If so, how long did the rehab take and how long between the injury was it before you were able to take the field again?

I'm in pretty good shape and lift all the time including running. This took me by total surprise and it's really untimely especially if I get a call for a spring camp/scrimmage.
ljudge, sorry to hear that. I suffered a total rupture several years ago while working a JV game in September. Needless to say, that ended my season very early. The only thing good I can think to say is that the timing of yours will allow you to rehabilitate so that you should be able to work next season. If the duration of your recovery is anything like mine was, you will not be able to work any spring scrimmages. As best I can remember, I had surgery to repair the tendon a week after it ruptured. Then a cast from my toes to just below my knee - non weight bearing for 7 weeks, then a walking cast for 3 or 4 more weeks. That meant using crutches for nearly 2 months and no showers while in the cast. Then wore a fracture boot for about a month which was great compared to the previous 11 weeks. At least I could shower and take it off to sleep. Then about 2 months of twice a week physical therapy. Even though the PT seemed a lot like torture, it is extremely beneficial. If you have any scar tissue around the rupture, it may impeed your range of motion in your ankle. If that happens, the scar tissue will eventually tear. When that happens it will be painful and you will think that you have re-injured the tendon, but it will only be some temporary discomfort. After that, you should probably get full range of motion back.

Keep me posted on how you are doing. My email is: [email protected] if you would like use it to let me know how things are going.

Best of luck in the comming weeks and months.

Jack

P.S. If you need a fracture boot later and your feet are on the small side like mine, let me know. I think I still have mine and would be happy for you to have it if needed.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Grant and Jack for your responses. I really appreciate them, and Jack you will be hearing from me. I'm not looking forward to this at all. I have an appointment with a surgeon in 2 hours and I'm going to beg him to operate today. This is an absolute nightmare especially having 2 little daughters and my wife couldn't wait for football season to end so I can play with them more.

I was hoping the cast thing would only be for 3 or 4 weeks total. Looks like my estimates were WAY off.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Joe...sorry to hear about the injury. I've never had an Achilles injury, so I can't help you in determining what you're in for. But it seems like jack015 has got you covered there. But, if you want to know about a ruptured ACL...

Keep me informed (e-mail)
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Ljudge, my surgeon wanted to wait a week so some of the inflamation and swelling would go down on its own. He also gave me a non-surgical option but it involved a much longer recovery time and a lot longer in a cast that went all the way to the top of my leg. That was not for me and he agreed. Hope your appointment goes well today. At least you will know what to expect and can plan accordingly.

[Edited by jack015 on Jan 18th, 2006 at 12:04 PM]
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck in getting fixed and hope you are back before the season. You know, when things tear or break here in Texas we just get a good ole roll of duct tape. If it'll hold my bumper up it'll dang sure hold up your ACL. Good luck and get well soon.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck. My uneducated advise is to get it operated on as soon as possible and then keep a very positive attitude. You'll be back in great shape by the time the season starts next fall.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

OK, you guys have off season work outs, I don't do it. Yes, I know what you are thinking, but your wrong. My work outs consist of officiating basketball and baseball.

My love is football, that is the sport that I want to reach my goals. I use the other sports to stay in shape. Of course, I do some crunches and stuff but my problems is shin splints that ache in basketball. But each BB season, I drop down three sizes in pants! Always stretch about 20 minutes before the game, and half time. Don't overwork your body, we are not young anymore. Just like on the field, slow down, more reps at a lighter speed.

I hope you get well, I am trying to get my foot in the door in college this season. Anyone have any openings?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks gentlemen for the well wishes and setting my expectations. Boy I did a number on this baby. My interpretation of the MRI is correct....it's in two!

Surgery on Tuesday followed by two weeks of a cast, followed by 4 weeks in a boot (all non-weight bearing), followed by 3 months of rehab. What joy!

He said I should be able to cut and run by the end of July.

The upside?

Well I know Fed rules pretty well. Now, I should know the NCAA rules frontwards, backwards, and sideways by the end of all of this.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Always "half full", great way to look at it.
Sorry to hear about it though. Hopefully time will go quicker than you think.
Good luck!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2006, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Joe,

Good luck with the re-hab and speedy wishes for a full and quick recovery. Keep us informed.

Walt
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 12:25am
tpaul

LJ,
Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope goes well and in a short matter of time. I torn a calf muscle. I missed the last three weeks of the season and play-offs (I watched my crew from the stands )! No Surgery but it took about 8 moths to recover and sometimes still feels a little funny!
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fonzzy07
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
LJ,
Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope goes well and in a short matter of time. I torn a calf muscle. I missed the last three weeks of the season and play-offs (I watched my crew from the stands )! No Surgery but it took about 8 moths to recover and sometimes still feels a little funny!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah i had a calf tear. I choose not to have surgery in hopes that I could return to play varsity my soph year. Well after 1 month on crutches i realized I wasn't returning that year. Take the time off. I did, didn't start running hard until decmeber. My injury was in late July. I did work out, and found a therapy place that had a strenght pool that let me swim so I built the leg and the rest of my body up. It worked out well because I came into summer camp with my leg feeling great and ended up being first team all league this year as a junior. Don't get discouraged just give it the time it needs.