The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I call it every time at every age level. The player has gained an unfair advantage BY DEFINITION by using more than the allotted space. That's a simple call, which the NFHS has directed us to make in a recent POE.

Why do I want to make a Barney Fife analogy.............every age level??

You're a meany!
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Have made it through the season without getting this question answered.

Team A brings ball down, and has a couple of players criss cross under the basket. Player A1 runs out of room and just runs out-of-bounds past the key.

Not forced out by the defense, not gaining an advantage, just not cognizant of the rule.

Do you make this call?

How about as you go down in age groups... say 7th grade or 5th grade.

Do you make this call?
Never called it. Never seen it called. I can't imagine either will change.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 07:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Violation, Or Technical Foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
When I officiated it was explained quite clearly that the "leaving the court" rule was written so a player could not leave the court and "hide out" so that he could cherry pick.
Are you sure that you're not confusing this situation with a technical foul for not returning to the court as soon as possible. This is where we see some "hiding out".

When I'm the lead, and I officiate the lead from a deep position, court allowing, and the players go around screens and almost run me over, that's when I start thinking about calling this violation. I was in this situaiton last season, was going to call a violation the next time it happened, but after a foul switch, my partner, without any communication from me, called it first. It took a minute or so to explain the call to a polite, but confused coach.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have called this probably three or four times in my career. Did it once when it was a T because I was stupid enough to believe that because the NFHS made it a POE that it was the right thing for the game.

Since it's now just a violation, I will usually warn a player the first time to "stay on the court." Normally that's all it takes. After that, I'll call it. Just a violation. No big deal.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2008, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Have made it through the season without getting this question answered.

Team A brings ball down, and has a couple of players criss cross under the basket. Player A1 runs out of room and just runs out-of-bounds past the key.

Not forced out by the defense, not gaining an advantage, just not cognizant of the rule.

Do you make this call?

How about as you go down in age groups... say 7th grade or 5th grade.

Do you make this call?
As described....no. A1's intended path got cut off...even if it was by a teammate. A1 just reacted to the obstacle and the reaction resulting in going OOB.

I have called leaving the court exactly twice....both in deliberate actions that led to direct advantages.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
I like this approach.

The only time that I've said anything to players is when they make no attempt whatsoever to stay inbounds when they clearly had room to do so, or if they're perputual violators of the rule. When I mention the requirement, I do so in a way of "Hey - did you know...". They often didn't know that rule or weren't aware of what they were doing. I consider it preventative.
hey JR, could you give me a FIBA rule reference for this play...just curious