The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:17am
Huck Finn

I looked at the replay; was Wallace ever really out of bounds or just close?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
To me, obvious foul, clear displacement. Also the fact that 0.1 is on the clock is irrelevant because while the official might have a good idea of the time, he cannot possibly be that precise and a difference of even a second on this type of play is huge. In that spot, the official has to make the call, good call, horrible defense.
I'm with you on this one....The contact clearly impeaded the offensive players progress....

To me, time has no relevance in on a foul...Now one poster stated it was a bad foul in the whole context of the game? I didn't see the whole game but to me, that would have been a foul in the first minute of the game just as it was whistled in the final seconds.

What's with the statement that it was "The best FT shooter in the history of G-Town basketball"....What the HELL does that have to do with why you would or would not make this call? That has no relevance in this conversation
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
3) if you can ignore the foul, you can ignore the toe (EDGING) the line and let's go to overtime
Stoopid statement. One is a judgment call; the other one isn't. It's that simple.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

After looking at the replay from the vantage point of the official, I think it's just one of those times when the circumstances create a bad situation. It's an easy no call if Wallace doesn't go out of bounds. But, if you see the replay, the fist goes up right after the foot hit the line. It's actually a good case of a patient whistle, but I think the official was put in a box by the player going out of bounds.

I agree with Bilas up until his "ignore" the out of bounds comment. You just can't do that, and that is why this play stinks all the way around. Maybe the best choice was to pass on the foul and call Georgetown OOB. At least that wouldn't have put anyone on the line. Tough spot...
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refneck
Maybe the best choice was to pass on the foul and call Georgetown OOB. At least that wouldn't have put anyone on the line. Tough spot...
So, ignore the illegal contact and give the ball back to Nova? That's just not acceptable, IMO.

The real problem here is that there was .1 left. If there had been 2.1, then there's a ton less controversy. You can't give Nova the ball back with 2.1 on the clock. And, the crying would have been much less with 2.1 because Nova would have had a chance to get the ball down and get a shot off.

But, the official has no way of knowing exactly how much time is left. He's got to call the play, and while I'm sure he'd rather not have had to call that, it was the right call based on the play...
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refneck
..... but I think the official was put in a box by the player going out of bounds.
That pretty much sums it up right there imo.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Good foul call. How about the walk at the end of the 1st Half?

Good foul call. My 1st reaction was bad call. Defender contact forced player out of bounds. No choice but to call the foul.

Anyone see the NOVA layup with about 10 seconds left in the half. Picks up dribble, takes 3 steps, No call?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Didn't see it, just read about it...

Can picture it...

Got to call the foul, Big Brother is always watching and Big Brother might say no foul call is okay, but Big Brother gets a good look in high definition at the line...Takes guts, the kind of guts that gets you on that floor that night.

I can say I've been forced into certain calls by player's actions and I really "hate" to make that call because it does "decide" the game, but the player's actions dictated it.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
Didn't see it, just read about it...

Can picture it...

Got to call the foul, Big Brother is always watching and Big Brother might say no foul call is okay, but Big Brother gets a good look in high definition at the line...Takes guts, the kind of guts that gets you on that floor that night.

I can say I've been forced into certain calls by player's actions and I really "hate" to make that call because it does "decide" the game, but the player's actions dictated it.
Well said!!! Its funny how we as officials are being critical, @ times, of officials who have to make a call @ the end of the game. The official didn't cause the contact. The player should've realized where they were @ in the game and make sure not to foul.

You can't ignore contact that causes a loss of possession. Its a foul, the official didn't cause the foul. His whistle is a result of the Nova's player's stupidity!!! The player goofed not the official.

If Jay Bilas is such a expert on what, when, & how to call the game then he should put on the stripes, strap on a whistle, & blow!!! That guy is a horses Azz. Its to easy for him to pin the mistake on the official and not the player.

The same holds true for the Rutgers/Tennessee game. Were busy trying to prove that the officials "ROBBED" Rutgers when it was the Rutgers player who put the officials in the position to have to make the call in the first place.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TheViper
Bad Call, regardless of situation. Not that technically this wasn't a foul, because by definition, it definitely was a foul. The way this game was called throughout merits a no call in this situation. People were killing each other the whole game, and it was getting let go. Hell, they weren't even calling kicks in this game. But if that official really thought that was a foul, then Georgetown committed murder on Scottie Reynolds right before he turned it over with 5.whatever left.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper
Bad Call, regardless of situation. Not that technically this wasn't a foul, because by definition, it definitely was a foul. The way this game was called throughout merits a no call in this situation. People were killing each other the whole game, and it was getting let go. Hell, they weren't even calling kicks in this game. But if that official really thought that was a foul, then Georgetown committed murder on Scottie Reynolds right before he turned it over with 5.whatever left.
I heard this morning that they called 40 fouls in that game. So they were hardly letting everything pass.

And if you watch Reynolds drive to the basket, he actually got away with a HUGE push off when he started his drive. The contact after that on the drive to the hoop was not nearly as severe as I originally thought...

Explain, Viper, how you justify giving the ball back to Nova on the OB call you'd have to make if you didn't call the foul.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I heard this morning that they called 40 fouls in that game. So they were hardly letting everything pass.

And if you watch Reynolds drive to the basket, he actually got away with a HUGE push off when he started his drive. The contact after that on the drive to the hoop was not nearly as severe as I originally thought...

Explain, Viper, how you justify giving the ball back to Nova on the OB call you'd have to make if you didn't call the foul.
This is exactly the crux of the matter. If the contact causes a violation or OOB, you have no choice but to call it. If he gives the ball to Nova there (which he would have to if no foul), sure there's only .1 on the clock and we're going to overtime right? Unless of course they throw the perfect lob pass on the inbounds (which is in the FC by the way) and get the winning tap. Or unless there is a foul on the winning tap attempt. Or unless there is a hold on a player trying to get free for the pass. Or unless there is a foul for pushing through a screen. ANYTHING can happen once they give the ball to Nova there. You simply can't do it, regardless of the time.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Real simple, the official had two choices.

1. Call the foul
2. Call out of bounds

no way you can let both of those go. He did the rite thing!
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

this play put Bob Donato in a tough situation...looked like he wanted to pass on call, but had to put air in the whistle when the Hoya player was headed out of bounds.....

IMHO, the Precision Timing System is a MAJOR factor in this play that has been overlooked. Because PTS causes the clock to stop the instant a whistle is blown, the clock stopped w/ 0:00.1. If there were no PTS, then the horn would have sounded and the officials could have waved off the foul (saying it occored at/after the buzzer) and gone to OT....just a little "food for thought".
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No5hnQ0JjUA