The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Nova vs Georgetown

Anyone see the end to this game?

Tie score. Refs called a foul against Nova w/ 0.1 seconds on the clock....and who went to the line? The best foul shooter in the HISTORY of Georgetown mens basketball - Wallace. Sinks two. Game over......the announcers were inconsolable......

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 09:22pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

For those that saw this game. What did you think of the last call?? I thought it was a foul (look at the legs). But do you call something like that with 0.1 seconds on the clock. I am not a ref, but the players from both sides were upset all night.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't have a great look from the views provided but Wallace could have been driven out of bounds by Stokes with that little sliding hip check. IF that's the case, you have to make that call.

With little time left, why even come close to fouling the best FT shooter in the HISTORY of Georgetown's mens basketball? Make him shoot the 70 footer. Dumb foul.

And is it me or is Bilas starting to be dumber than Billy Packer?

Last edited by BLydic; Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 09:43pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

It was a dumb, dumb, dumb play defensively...though I'd guess he wasn't sure where exactly the clock was. If there's 3.1 left he just saved a layup.

I thought the call was a good one because it appeared to force Wallace OB. I was in the gym watching on a 15" TV, though, so I'm not sure. To me, it's a pure A/D call and if he steps out due to the contact, you call it, if not it's time to get ready for OT.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I just saw the replay on ESPNEWS, and they had an angle from the opposite baseline that seemed to show he was forced out of bounds, which prompted the foul call. It was a pretty frenzied final 10 seconds.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic
And is it me or is Bilas starting to be dumber than Billy Packer?
Dumber would be going to far. Approaching the same stratosphere of dumbness - yes.

It's obvious neither announcer understood or acknowledged that the contact - while not "heavy" - forced the Georgetown player OB. That was the critical piece of information in the entire play.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Looked like a foul to me.

I suspect if it had been a few feet further in bounds, Cahill is a little slower on the whistle, but once the GT player stepped on the line, what can he do?

Give the ball to Villanova near the GT basket?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

:d

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 08:02pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

I saw the play as a replay, but it clearly looked like he was pushed out of bounds and either you have a foul or an out of bounds play. Clearly a foul and that was a dumb play by Nova players.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like he did kinda bump him. But I don't know if I would have called it. Tough one.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

In the context of the entire game, this was not a good call.

I actually like Bilas and have always thought he is the most knowledgable about officiating.

His best comments during this post-game were pointing out that:

1) the contact when Nova was driving for the winning basket was more severe than the last foul.

2) when 75 feet from the bucket and less than a couple seconds left, the contact has no advantage

3) if you can ignore the foul, you can ignore the toe (EDGING) the line and let's go to overtime

I'd bet my left nut that if you asked that official if he liked that call, he'd say no.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

yah. foul maybe but let it go. the ending of the Indiana game where the guy clearly was fouled shooting a 70 footer was a good no call. This should not have been called. If a ref blows a foul then why not waive it off and say inadvertent whistle? instead now a questionable call decides the game.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 03:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
yah. foul maybe but let it go. the ending of the Indiana game where the guy clearly was fouled shooting a 70 footer was a good no call. This should not have been called. If a ref blows a foul then why not waive it off and say inadvertent whistle? instead now a questionable call decides the game.
You cannot make that in inadvertent whistle. The ball handler was pushed out of bounds. The defender put the official in that situation to make that call, not the other way around. There was clearly displacement (which Hank Nichols goes on and on about in the bulletins) that caused the ball handler to get out of bounds. I think we have to get away with the idea that we cannot decide the game. I agree if there is some minor contact you might not be so quick to call a foul. But if the defender backed off and did not bump the ball handler out of bounds, maybe the official would have passed.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

To me, obvious foul, clear displacement. Also the fact that 0.1 is on the clock is irrelevant because while the official might have a good idea of the time, he cannot possibly be that precise and a difference of even a second on this type of play is huge. In that spot, the official has to make the call, good call, horrible defense.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
In the context of the entire game, this was not a good call.

I actually like Bilas and have always thought he is the most knowledgable about officiating.

His best comments during this post-game were pointing out that:

1) the contact when Nova was driving for the winning basket was more severe than the last foul.

2) when 75 feet from the bucket and less than a couple seconds left, the contact has no advantage

3) if you can ignore the foul, you can ignore the toe (EDGING) the line and let's go to overtime

I'd bet my left nut that if you asked that official if he liked that call, he'd say no.
I have no good idea on #1.

#2 really only applies if the ref knows exactly how much time is on the clock.

#3 is where Bilas slides into BS territory. A foul involves judgement. If video of a toe on the line gets sent to the conference office, the official is going to have to explain himself.