The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thoughts ?

I was watching this game, talked to the officials afterwards and wanted some thoughts on this play.

Home team up by 4. Visitors get a TO and ball is inbounded on sidelines. There is 6.8 seconds left in game.

V pass ball in hit a 3,down by 1, now. When the ball went through the basket the clock guy stopped the clock. Ref notices the stopped clock. Blows his whistle. They get the clock guy on board. H then has a throw in and gane ends.

Ref told me the H team coach was pissed because he thought they should have just done a manual count instead of stopping play allowing the other team to set up on defense.

What say you.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

H coach needs to have a talk with his timer before the next game. No way we can do a manual run down.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I was watching this game, talked to the officials afterwards and wanted some thoughts on this play.

Home team up by 4. Visitors get a TO and ball is inbounded on sidelines. There is 6.8 seconds left in game.

V pass ball in hit a 3,down by 1, now. When the ball went through the basket the clock guy stopped the clock. Ref notices the stopped clock. Blows his whistle. They get the clock guy on board. H then has a throw in and gane ends.

Ref told me the H team coach was pissed because he thought they should have just done a manual count instead of stopping play allowing the other team to set up on defense.

What say you.
Doesn't the clock stop after a made basket in the last minute of the game in
your area?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

my thought is once the officials noticed the clock NOT running, they should have had the timer start the clock without blowing their whistle. the coach was right in as much as stopping play and in effect created an inbound play that put his team at a disadvantage. another option would be to hash off 5 seconds and then blow the whistle and with definite knowledge of 5 seconds having elapsed, end the game. (assuming after the 3, there was 5 seconds or less on the clock).
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref_in_Alberta
Doesn't the clock stop after a made basket in the last minute of the game in
your area?
Not in Fed rules.

Had this happen in a game once, made basket with about 2-3 seconds left, clock stops on 2.4 I think. We both (2-man) noticed the clock stop and started counting. Partner must have seen it first because he blew the game over before I did.

Depends how much time you have left for what you do. Can't really count down the last 15 seconds and not be questioned about it. Kick the timer in the a$$ and get him set straight.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Actually, I like the idea of just keeping a visual count and blowing it dead when you're done.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref

What say you.
Coach, we wouldn't be having this conversation if you had provided a timer who knows the HS rules.

Now if the visiting team is getting shafted, I'm not blowing the whistle and just counting out the clock.