The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As I've done many, many times, I'd bet Lark's left one that you'd get a completely different story from the officials who did that game. And Larks still has his left one(I think).

Sorry, but I don't believe anything when I see these "mean ol' referees" stories posted, especially when they come out of rec leagues( and from rec league warriors).
Uh..., won't happen.
If he loses his left, the other is left.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
Point well taken, but still doesn't answer the ?

Let's pretend, which you seem to be quite capable of, I am uncannily honest and objective in my enquiry.

[snip]

Would a referee, actually admit, in person, on the court, "oh yeah we're calling it different now"? Of course not. But here on a proffesional board that lends some great insights into the behind the scenes preachings/teachings? Come on.

So, is there inside guidance too let em go at the end?
I'll play.
As an ump, you know the value of consistency. But, have you ever opened-up your zone (per personal judgment) for the "good" of the game? Ever make an FYC?
We officials make decisions for some reason and we decide to live with the results. You know it happens, you know the reasons are personal and you know there is no conspiracy.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Part Of My Pregame

Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with the way we’ve been
calling the game. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be
the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over.

End of game strategic fouls: If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws,
then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make
sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey
from behind, or if the ballhandler receives a bear hug, we should consider an intentional foul. These are not
basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.